***#14 Iowa State: Battle in the River City (Sat., Nov. 5)***

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
frustrated-exasperated.gif
Well, cmon. You can’t say that there are only 2 guys that can compete with him when he lost to a non AA within his last 10 matches.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Carr beat Robb 7-2 in the NCAA Tournament last year.

And barely beat him last season earlier. IIRC Carr needed a takedown late in the third to send it to OT and then got a TD in OT.

Point is, there are multiple people that can compete with David. Robb proved it, as did Willits.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
That was an absolute embarrassment of a match on the official. Willits didn't take one shot, and I mean literally not one. Any wrestler in the country that's hard to score on would have won that match with the way the official called it. I guess you could say Carr has to figure out how to win when the opponent stalls but that was beyond stalling
Carr did an amazing job of wrestling all the way back for 3rd last year, but nothing was comfortable during that run (except maybe the 3rd place match against Robb).

After the “loss” to Willits:

- Beat Sheets 3-2
- Beat Young 5-3
- Beat Franek 4-3
- Beat O’Connor MFOR
- Beat Lewan 6-3
- Beat Robb 7-2

I honestly don’t remember the Lewan match, but I do remember David struggling to get any offense going in the others. If everyone was stalling (because, let’s face it, on paper NONE of these dudes should be that close to Carr), he needs to figure that out, instead of depending on a ref to call stalling.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold and csteve

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
Carr beat Robb in SV in November 2021.
I know
And barely beat him last season earlier. IIRC Carr needed a takedown late in the third to send it to OT and then got a TD in OT.

Point is, there are multiple people that can compete with David. Robb proved it, as did Willits.

It depends on what you mean by can compete with him. If you’re saying it might be a close match but David won’t be at any threat to lose that’s fine. Those Iowa boys like to stall so I could see a comfortable 5-2 type win. He isn’t going to lose.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I know

It depends on what you mean by can compete with him. If you’re saying it might be a close match but David won’t be at any threat to lose that’s fine. Those Iowa boys like to stall so I could see a comfortable 5-2 type win. He isn’t going to lose.
Was the Robb OT match competitive? To me, that is competitive and I think it’s possible Kennedy could come similarly close.

As stated I don’t think he is going to lose either, but I give Kennedy something like 20% chance.

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
Was the Robb OT match competitive? To me, that is competitive and I think it’s possible Kennedy could come similarly close.

As stated I don’t think he is going to lose either, but I give Kennedy something like 20% chance.
Carr has won 97% of his matches so the 80% to beat someone who hasn’t accomplished anything in folkstyle collegiately adds up! Haha you’re better than this. Kennedy won’t be a pushover but he’s not on David’s level.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Anyone heard any rumblings as to who we're sending to the Grand View Open?

Looks like UNI and Nebraska will be sending some guys as well.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Carr has won 97% of his matches so the 80% to beat someone who hasn’t accomplished anything in folkstyle collegiately adds up! Haha you’re better than this. Kennedy won’t be a pushover but he’s not on David’s level.
Hope you don’t think Swiderski has a shot against Woods either.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyCity

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
Carr did an amazing job of wrestling all the way back for 3rd last year, but nothing was comfortable during that run (except maybe the 3rd place match against Robb).

After the “loss” to Willits:

- Beat Sheets 3-2
- Beat Young 5-3
- Beat Franek 4-3
- Beat O’Connor MFOR
- Beat Lewan 6-3
- Beat Robb 7-2

I honestly don’t remember the Lewan match, but I do remember David struggling to get any offense going in the others. If everyone was stalling (because, let’s face it, on paper NONE of these dudes should be that close to Carr), he needs to figure that out, instead of depending on a ref to call stalling.
I take nothing from him wrestling back for 3rd other than utter amazement. Hardest thing to do in sports and 1% of wrestlers would have been able to do what he did under the circumstances especially since there was no need for team points since we were in like 20th place. He absolutely willed his way to 3rd when he didn't want to

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I take nothing from him wrestling back for 3rd other than utter amazement. Hardest thing to do in sports and 1% of wrestlers would have been able to do what he did under the circumstances especially since there was no need for team points since we were in like 20th place. He absolutely willed his way to 3rd when he didn't want to
I agree with what you’re saying here, as it is 100% accurate. And for me to say those close matches are the bi-product of one thing is disingenuous (and of course I am not). I am sure he was absolutely stunned after losing, especially the way it happened, and it took an incredible amount of intestinal fortitude to do what he did.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I agree with what you’re saying here, as it is 100% accurate. And for me to say those close matches is the bi-product of one thing is disingenuous. I am sure he was absolutely stunned after losing, especially the way it happened, and it took an incredible amount of testicular fortitude to do what he did.
FIFY

Reactions: stuclone

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
That was an absolute embarrassment of a match on the official. Willits didn't take one shot, and I mean literally not one. Any wrestler in the country that's hard to score on would have won that match with the way the official called it. I guess you could say Carr has to figure out how to win when the opponent stalls but that was beyond stalling

Absolutely agree and he backed up a fair bit too. Stall Stall Stall

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron