Check Scandal

TDclones

Nov 29, 2006
I hate to bring up old, bad news but...I need some help. Does anyone remember the "check scandal" in the mid 90's that involved some ISU BB players? I tried to Google it but could not come up with names. I got to talking with some friends(Shmuckeye fans) and there was some disagreement as to who it was.

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
One of the first frequently occurring stories of the year was that of several football players – and one female basketball player – who had been charged with check forgery. The reported stolen checks had been taken from Larch and Elm halls. Other big issues of this year were coverage of the O.J. Simpson trial and domestic abuse accusations against Cyclone football coach Dan McCarney. In 1995-96, the Simpson trial was covered extensively, but there was relatively little news about the Oklahoma City bombing. It is interesting that an event of this significance to the United States was relatively ignored even under the leadership of editor in chief Troy McCullough.

It appears it may have been football players

matmann22

Dec 31, 2007
Pleasant Hill
matmann22.spaces.live.com
I hate to bring up old, bad news but...I need some help. Does anyone remember the "check scandal" in the mid 90's that involved some ISU BB players? I tried to Google it but could not come up with names. I got to talking with some friends(Shmuckeye fans) and there was some disagreement as to who it was.

It definitely was football players because I 'donated' my checkbook to their cause.

Fortunately, I reported it stolen the day before the $60 McDonalds checks and $141 Target bills started rolling through.

I'm not sure who it was but they signed my name badly enough that the bank knew it was forged...

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I lived on 6th Floor Larch back in 1992-93. There were a bunch of football players on my floor that were involved in that. Artis Garris comes to mind.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I always thought the funniest part of that scandal was the scoreboard at the stadium.

At the top of the scoreboard was the old Norwest logo, dark green on a black field, next to the words "The Home of Fee Checking". The Norwest logo was hard to see, so when you looked at the Scoreboard, it appeared to read, "Cyclone Stadium The Home of Free Checking."

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It definitely was football players because I 'donated' my checkbook to their cause.

Fortunately, I reported it stolen the day before the $60 McDonalds checks and $141 Target bills started rolling through.

I'm not sure who it was but they signed my name badly enough that the bank knew it was forged...

This wasn't from this scandal, but the next year my roommate stole a couple of checks from lower in my box of checks, and forged them at a store where his mom worked.

His signature was nothing like mine, and he spelled my name wrong both times, differently each time, but my bank of the time went ahead and cashed them right up until I complained.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
This wasn't from this scandal, but the next year my roommate stole a couple of checks from lower in my box of checks, and forged them at a store where his mom worked.

His signature was nothing like mine, and he spelled my name wrong both times, differently each time, but my bank of the time went ahead and cashed them right up until I complained.

Was he your roomate after that?

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006

How does a guy spend $60 at McDonalds? I know it was before the dollar menu, but a hamburger was still .59 and a cheeseburger .69

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I'm having brain fade right now but who was the good tailback that was involved in the check scandal. His name started with a C but for the life of me I can't remember.
He wound up at Colorado State and maybe played in the NFL.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I'm having brain fade right now but who was the good tailback that was involved in the check scandal. His name started with a C but for the life of me I can't remember.
He wound up at Colorado State and maybe played in the NFL.

You thinking of Calvin Branch?