Who leads the team in scoring this year?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Who leads the Cyclones in scoring this year?

• Gabe Kalscheur

Votes: 81 23.8%
  • Jaren Holmes

Votes: 181 53.1%
  • Caleb Grill

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Eli King

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Tre King

Votes: 22 6.5%
  • Aljaz Kunc

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Osun Osunniyi

Votes: 23 6.7%
  • Hason Ward

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Tamin Lipsey

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Robert Jones

Votes: 7 2.1%

• Total voters

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I’m surprised that Holmes is getting over 60% of the vote so far.

I'm more surprised anyone not named Holmes, Kalscheur, or Osun is getting a combined 20% of the vote. Those 3 should all be double figure (or close to) scorers. I will be shocked if anyone else is a double figure scorer.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I went with Osun, but could see it being between Holmes and Kalscheur. My guess is 13.8 for Osun, 13.2 for Holmes, 12.1 for Kalscheur. Tre King could get around 15, but I didn't vote for him since he's going to miss half of the season. Eli will be around 7, 6 for Grill and Kunc, and then the rest at 2-4. If my numbers add up, that would mean we are averaging 75-80 points a game. I sure hope I'm right here but guessing I'm way off and we will average closer to 72.

We averaged 66.5 ppg last year. So yes, you are way off.

Reactions: isutrevman

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I’m surprised that Holmes is getting over 60% of the vote so far.
I think the fact that he's an older guard that has played with Osun is probably giving him the edge. If you look at his last four games in the NIT, he scored 13 against Colorado, 23 against Oklahoma, 10 against Virginia and 15 against Xavier.

Having a legitimate scoring threat at center will probably mean a more balanced scoring attack from our guards unless someone steps up the way Brockington did last year. I could see our leading scoring averaging in the 13-15 range.

Or, I could be completely wrong, which would be familiar territory for me.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Eli King receiving 8 votes took me down a rabbit hole of freshmen scoring outputs. Here's the best at ISU in the last decade...

Lindell Wigginton (2018): 16.7
Cameron Lard (2018): 12.6
Georges Niang (2013): 12.1
Talen Horton-Tucker (2019): 11.8
Tyrese Hunter (2022): 11.0
Monte Morris (2014): 6.8
Tyrese Haliburton (2019): 6.8
Matt Thomas (2014): 5.5
Solomon Young (2017): 4.4

Basically this is showing if any freshmen averages above 5 ppg their first year it is a major success. There are obviously some caveats such as Lindell and Lard being high volume scorers on a below average team in 2018. All the rest contributed to NCAA tourney teams.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I'm more surprised anyone not named Holmes, Kalscheur, or Osun is getting a combined 20% of the vote. Those 3 should all be double figure (or close to) scorers. I will be shocked if anyone else is a double figure scorer.
Tre King scored just under 15ppg at EKU. I like his opportunities to score within our offense and put backs.

Like some other recent Cyclone transfers, I'm hoping Tre King has used the year off to improve his game. Especially 3 point shooting.

Reactions: isutrevman

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
He wont lead the team in scoring, but hopefully Kunc shoots it more this year with Brockington gone. He did the little things last year, but also shot it 39% from 3 so gives us someone that can stretch the floor.
I voted for him. I expect a lot more consistency out of him this year. Feel like he could have a big season.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I'm not saying it never happens. But it's rare. So people should temper their expectations on Holmes and Shoon. That's all I'm saying.

Let's be honest, Brockington did it last year too. Big 12 has been the BEST league in the nation for 8 years or so now. So, he played in a tougher league, especially last year.

1666817587111.png

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Why no Watson listed?

I picked Gabe. I’m hoping he’s going to be putting up mostly mid-range shots this year like he did in the tourney last year. He was very effective at that.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
My guess is Gabe and I hope we see more of his best games like he had against Wisconsin and Baylor at the end of the year else we are going to need several more guys step up and score more consistently. That was our big problem last year was if Brockington was not on we didn't have a 2nd or 3rd guy step up and pick up the slack.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Why no Watson listed?

I picked Gabe. I’m hoping he’s going to be putting up mostly mid-range shots this year like he did in the tourney last year. He was very effective at that.
Watson hasn't been getting any love this offseason from any of the publications covering the program either. Even in CF pods and CF Premium threads, all CW talks about are the other two FR. Not sure if it's just bias given that they are the higher rated two, or what gives...

Anywho, I went with Tre King, since the OP didn't specify total points vs ppg average. I think Tre will come in after the semester and give our offense a much needed boost. The guys who can play in the first month and a half will be able to hold it down well enough until then, but I think King will be our best 3 pt shooter and will have a lot of 2nd chance opportunities. I am setting the bar for him to be maybe a junior year Melvin Ejim type of impact on this years team.