Creighton-Iowa State (Not so) secret scrimmage 10/21

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It’s pretty simple. Last years team was excellent when they had 3 players that had a good scoring game (I’d say 15+), they were good when they had 2 players, and they were bad when only one scored.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think I'd put them below even NFL/NBA preseason stuff.

Said it earlier but I'd like to see if coaches actually pause action to talk about things, or ask the opposing coach to really force an issue to test their team, etc.
Yes they do do that. They may also reset the scores and stuff depending on the format.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Would have expected Iowa State to struggle vs. Creighton. The Bluejays lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament to KU without 2 starters - Nembhard and Kalkbrenner due to late season injuries. Creighton returns 4 players who started games for them last season and added Scheierman who was Summit League POY.

We have 4th & 5th year players who have been proven scorers for solid P5 programs. Programs that have won stressing defense: ISU, St Bonaventure and VCU. These guys aren't going to panic in low scoring, tight games.

I don't understand the "sky is falling" about the offensive firepower of this years team. Below is 2020/21 scoring for our players- about 71ppg & a total 203mpg

Tre King - 14.9ppg (28mpg in 2019/20)
Holmes - 13.5ppg (38mpg)
Osunniyi - 11.3ppg (30mpg)
Kalscheur - 9.6ppg (31mpg)
Ward - 6.5ppg (20mpg)
Grill - 6.4ppg (24mpg)
Kunc - 6.0ppg (20mpg)
Jones - 2.9ppg (12mpg)

I think we will see a team approach for a go-to scorer. One night it might be Holmes scoring 18 points, the next night it might be King and the next Kalscheur. I think we could see an uptick in Grill's game if Tre King, Ossunniyi and Ward can provide some paint scoring.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Would have expected Iowa State to struggle vs. Creighton. The Bluejays lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament to KU without 2 starters - Nembhard and Kalkbrenner due to late season injuries. Creighton returns 4 players who started games for them last season and added Scheierman who was Summit League POY.

We have 4th & 5th year players who have been proven scorers for solid P5 programs. Programs that have won stressing defense: ISU, St Bonaventure and VCU. These guys aren't going to panic in low scoring, tight games.

I don't understand the "sky is falling" about the offensive firepower of this years team. Below is 2020/21 scoring for our players- about 71ppg & a total 203mpg

Holmes - 13.5ppg (38mpg)
Ward - 6.5ppg (20mpg)
Grill - 6.4ppg (24mpg)
Kunc - 6.0ppg (20mpg)
Jones - 2.9ppg (12mpg)

I think we will see a team approach for a go-to scorer. One night it might be Holmes scoring 18 points, the next night it might be King and the next Kalscheur. I think we could see an uptick in Grill's game if Tre King, Ossunniyi and Ward can provide some paint scoring.
Many of our guys have been decent scorers but at lower levels; that doesn't mean they won't score in the B12 but they just haven't proven it yet. If Tre King scored 15/game at this level instead of vs Austin Peay and Tennessee Tech that would be a fantastic transition.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

alexssdean12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2018

Holmes - 13.5ppg (38mpg)
Ward - 6.5ppg (20mpg)
Grill - 6.4ppg (24mpg)
Kunc - 6.0ppg (20mpg)
Jones - 2.9ppg (12mpg)

Honestly, averaging 71ppg while only giving up 62.5ppg (last year total) wouldn't be all that bad. I think this year can be even better defensively

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Creighton has an All AMerican PG in Nemhard. Scheerman the SDSU transfer that we were after btw is a complete stud.

As others have alluded to Creighton is loaded.

Wts...ISU team this year will be interesting..No IB to go off for 30 points and losing Williams sucks for depth at PG..

Alot of new guys this year and we will be a team with more BIGs than smalls on the court I have a feeling..

Keep in mind we do add Tre King at semester and he's more offensive oriented and will give team a boost on offense..

Last year we lost to Wisc in secret scrimmage by double digits and apparently lost to NW as well...

We then went on to go 15-0..

We will play hard...and if we can just be close to bubble at end of year I'll be happy..

Bc offensive help is coming and very soon.
So we lost to Wisconsin by double digits in a scrimmage at the beginning of last season. Then we beat them by double digits in the Sweet 16 to end their season.

Guess we shouldn't get too shook about losing to Creighton in this year's scrimmage.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So we lost to Wisconsin by double digits in a scrimmage at the beginning of last season. Then we beat them by double digits in the Sweet 16 to end their season.

Guess we shouldn't get too shook about losing to Creighton in this year's scrimmage.

It was in the 2nd round/round of 32.

The game felt like ISU should have opened it up but it didn't.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Is anyone getting too shook about this? This seems like a thread with people ******** about how people shouldn't pay attention to these results. But I've yet to see any poster complain about the results.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Is anyone getting too shook about this? This seems like a thread with people ******** about how people shouldn't pay attention to these results. But I've yet to see any poster complain about the results.

That entire post reads like a game of telephone.

Reactions: coolmooinlou

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Anthony Crispino is that you?

bobby-moynihan-anthony-crispino.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Scrimmaged South Dakota State and Northwestern last season. We lost both.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Let's be honest, no one is ever replacing Niang

For the longest time Barry Stevens was my favorite ISU MBB player. But Niang really embodies love for ISU as a player, alum, and community supporter. I really don't remember a athlete who had continued to support the ISU/Ames community as much as he has at such a young age. He is truly exceptional.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Seems like it has to be? He didn’t think we were good enough for his All-American son and he abused Wesley Johnson into a transfer
Literally no one thought Doug was going to be an All American. He was a fringe Top 150 kid and that was even a stretch out of high school, he got a lot of the benefit of the doubt from playing with Harrison Barnes.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

We beat Wisconsin by double digits?