Creighton-Iowa State (Not so) secret scrimmage 10/21

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

I can believe this.
One thing that concerns me - “Kalk was dominant “
I know he is good, but if he dominated our bigs - I find that concerning. That is supposed to be our strength.

But, just a scrimmage against what should be an outstanding team.

• Haha
Reactions: Rural

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
Then promptly downplayed their successes late
Here is my honest opinion:

-Coach Otz quickly sold me by achieving the impossible last season. Winning 20 games and a Sweet 16 is something that is true success regardless of the path to reach it. I honestly would have expected 2-3 seasons before he had a reasonable chance to achieve those milestones.

-It is even more impressive he achieved these things with no existing foundation from the previous seasons.

-I think if we find some balance on offense to go with great defense and better rebounding (whether it is this season or subsequent seasons) you will see a very special team that has a shot at matching the 1999-2000 season.

-It was one season, but it is a promising start to what multiple seasons of a built-up program could lead too. I have been watching Cyclone basketball since 1983 so I have seen many variations of good, great, mediocre and very bad teams. I think I saw games that included every aspect of those types of teams last year.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So it's actually possible we could be better defensively this season, and worse offensively.

Maybe we'll win games 32-24 this season?

• Funny
Reactions: Acylum

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Here is my honest opinion:

-Coach Otz quickly sold me by achieving the impossible last season. Winning 20 games and a Sweet 16 is something that is true success regardless of the path to reach it. I honestly would have expected 2-3 seasons before he had a reasonable chance to achieve those milestones.

-It is even more impressive he achieved these things with no existing foundation from the previous seasons.

-I think if we find some balance on offense to go with great defense and better rebounding (whether it is this season or subsequent seasons) you will see a very special team that has a shot at matching the 1999-2000 season.

-It was one season, but it is a promising start to what multiple seasons of a built-up program could lead too. I have been watching Cyclone basketball since 1983 so I have seen many variations of good, great, mediocre and very bad teams. I think I saw games that included every aspect of those types of teams last year.
I remember texting my buddies before the first game last year and said if tj got this group to the ncaa tournament I would be one of the great coaching jobs in sports history lol

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So it's actually possible we could be better defensively this season, and worse offensively.

Maybe we'll win games 32-24 this season?

I think the injury to Williams probably blew that up. We won’t be better defensively this year losing Hunter, having the experienced PG go down, and probably having to play younger in the back. Experience is half the battle when it comes to defense u less you’re an Uber talented defender like Hunter.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Torvik has Creighton as #23 going into next year.

Iowa State is #48.

The closest Big 12 team to Creighton is Texas Tech at #27.

For context, Iowa State's win expectation against Tech next season is --

@ Hilton = 56%
@ Lubbock = 28%

The average of those two is 42% to approximate a neutral court.

Not a terrible outcome to lose to such a team, but not the greatest of signs either. But it's okay. I just want the defense to keep them in games and hope a few possessions break right at the end. I have a suspicion this year is going to be a lot like last year... but maybe not quite as many lucky breaks (e.g., Brockington pulling a steal out of his butt against WVU at home) and a harder schedule to conquer.

Ahh, yes, the premium board, where I have to pay for info about a practice game, but then real games that people actually care about are able to be talked about freely. Makes sense.

You shut your mouth peasant, else I'll put you in the stocks again so we may all point and laugh.

:jimlad:

Last year we lost to Wisc in secret scrimmage by double digits and apparently lost to NW as well...

I didn't know or forgot they played Wisconsin twice last year (or at least in essence).

Interesting that game in Milwaukee was a rematch that went much differently.

I think that says good things about the staff's ability to make a team gel throughout a season.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I didn't know or forgot they played Wisconsin twice last year (or at least in essence).

Interesting that game in Milwaukee was a rematch that went much differently.

I think that says good things about the staff's ability to make a team gel throughout a season.

And ya gotta think the score is far less important to different coaches vs. general themes/aspects that they want to see.

I also wonder how much the coaches stop action to work out situations.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
The other thing to remember is that you are going to try lots of things in a scrimmage. If you find something that works, you aren't going to ride it out like you would in a real game. And if something isn't working, you may stick with it for longer than you normally would.

That goes for both teams, though, so you can't really judge the game result.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
At the risk of sounding like a bad fan(i know thats some opinions already I suppose), I hope we got run. Anything to give us a solid reminder of why we gotta play the style we do.

If we're all in early in the year we'll get some teams who are adjusting or trying to mesh still. Nova with their new coach and St Johns with changes in starters particularly. Conference games are gonna be tough to win once again this year so anything we can land before that is huge

You want us to get run? They are scrimmaging the style of play they want to play, so I’d hope we didn’t get run. That wouldn’t be a reminder of why they play that, that would be a “why do we play that”.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Also a scrimmage is a scrimmage, it’s practice, against another team. They are trying to get better, against a different squad in practice than the one they usually see.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
i don’t draw any conclusions from a scrimmage like this at all. The team with returning talent has a huge advantage over the team that is retooling. TJ has proven that he can build a winning team from scratch. My biggest concern is whether we have a bucket-getter like Brockington. If not then other guys like Kalscheur and Grill need to shoot the ball much more consistently. And one or two of the 3 freshman have to contribute something offensively. King seems to be most likely.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
i don’t draw any conclusions from a scrimmage like this at all. The team with returning talent has a huge advantage over the team that is retooling. TJ has proven that he can build a winning team from scratch. My biggest concern is whether we have a bucket-getter like Brockington. If not then other guys like Kalscheur and Grill need to shoot the ball much more consistently. And one or two of the 3 freshman have to contribute something offensively. King seems to be most likely.

The answer is... no, we do not have a bucket-getter like Brockington on the roster this year.

It doesn't mean we can't score in other ways, but it's going to hurt to not have a guy or two that we know we can go to when we need a bucket.

• Haha
Reactions: Rural

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
The answer is... no, we do not have a bucket-getter like Brockington on the roster this year.

It doesn't mean we can't score in other ways, but it's going to hurt to not have a guy or two that we know we can go to when we need a bucket.

We didn’t have a Brockington this time last year either. It’s not like we are just going to be down his points this year, someone’s going to get their hands on the ball and score.

We hear this every year. Can’t replace White, Clyburn, Kane, Niang, and the list goes on.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I remember when Nebraska beat us in a secret scrimmage during the Niang years. Coaches are just playing guys trying to figure out stuff