Ben Bruns KU Game Recap on Iowa Everywhere

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
7 false starts. Cut it to 4, we win the game. But 4 is way to many, LOL.
Did we have a delay of game out of a tv time out on Saturday?
I don't know if it was a TV timeout, but pretty sure it was change of possession - after a kickoff, if I recall.

D-O-G is annoying no matter what, but it's inexcusable with a routine change of possession.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't know if it was a TV timeout, but pretty sure it was change of possession - after a kickoff, if I recall.

D-O-G is annoying no matter what, but it's inexcusable with a routine change of possession.
Refs must have warned us before. Usually they don’t wind the play clock until the team starts coming onto the field in that scenario, iirc, the play clock was at 18 when we starting jogging out onto the field.

Then remember that KU had a delay of game penalty and should have had another which was about 3 seconds after the clock struck 0 but the ref apparently didn’t look because he thought the ump had pumped the clock.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The Wazzu loss included many of the same themes of other losses. Badly timed turnovers, penalties, etc.

Was overall a pretty decent game though.
There was something strange in the WSU game. Even when we did not have false starts we had guys getting off the ball late. It was fairly loud in there but it was a lot more ISU fans. Not sure if there was something with WSUs calls but guys were not coordinated on the snap count.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There was something strange in the WSU game. Even when we did not have false starts we had guys getting off the ball late. It was fairly loud in there but it was a lot more ISU fans. Not sure if there was something with WSUs calls but guys were not coordinated on the snap count.
Players or coaches had claimed that WSU had been simulating the snap. They had been caught doing that before and that defensive coaching staff has since been caught doing it since.

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Players or coaches had claimed that WSU had been simulating the snap. They had been caught doing that before and that defensive coaching staff has since been caught doing it before.
There had to be something like that. I’ve never seen anything like it.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
we played 3 or 4 teams in 2020 that packed it in (covid year). IMO, you can put an asterisk next to that. Plus, in a big non conference game, UL was ranked that year, our offense SUCKED in the second half. In 2019 ULM padded the stats to an extreme level. With that said, not sure if I'm ready to bring out the pitchforks, but there are games where Manning can't figure the other team out or if he does it's to little to late. I want to wait and see what this offense looks like with a one two punch of Brock and Norton. I believe the combo of both would really really wear a defense down and open things up down field.
You're going to have to explain which teams "packed it in".

The 3 big wins were Kansas, KSU and TCU.

Kansas sucked.

KSU followed up a 45-0 loss to us with a 31-32 loss to Baylor (doesn't seem like packing things in).

WVU was 5-3 when they visited and then went on to win their bowl game 24-6.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Kansas sucked.

KSU followed up a 45-0 loss to us with a 31-32 loss to Baylor (doesn't seem like packing things in).

I seem to remember KSU being gutted by COVID at the time

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Quick question. For those that are the most upset, what were your expectations, honest expectations before the year started for wins. We were tagged as a 6.5 O/U in Vegas IIRC. Most of the people at the beginning was talking 5-7 wins. What were people expecting at the beginning?
I thought 7-5, which when you take a step back is certainly still on the table. But it's not the WHAT, it's the HOW and the WHO.

HOW - it's just same **** different game. Special teams failures and offensive incoherence. And it's not like it's ONE thing on special teams or offense - there are numerous problems in both phases that need fixed.

WHO - Kansas, regardless of the gaudy record, is still one of the lower half teams in conference we will play.

So that's why everyone is freaking out, and all the consternation about the continuing unsolved problems.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Issues on offense right now...

Tight Ends - Like Bruns said, there is little to no production at this spot and there hasn't been all season. No true threats in the passing game and they are not good blockers. With Dean now hindered by a hamstring we may see some opportunity for younger guys to step up, hopefully they can help or improve.

RBs (Without Brock and Norton) - I get Silas and Sanders are solid 3rd and 4th string guys, but they are not at the level of starting RBs in the B12. That was evident this past week. They are fun situationally and as a change of pace but we are going to struggle to run the ball with them as our two backs. Really wish Brock and Norton hadn't gone down to injury so soon.

OLine Continuity - With a now healthy line, a staring five needs to be identified, trusted and deployed moving forward. Shuffling guys in and out does little for continuity and communication in-game. TBH I think this line has been a little better than what they have perceived as thus far, but they have gotten literally zero help from the TEs in blocking - making the OL look worse. Brock is an exceptional pass blocker and Norton is solid too. Sanders and Silas again just aren't at that level yet and that is another reason as to why the pass blocking as a whole was poor last game.

WRs - Group has been OK so far. Obviously Hutch is an All B12 player and I have enjoyed seeing Noel and Stanley continue to step up. Just need some consistency with them and - if healthy - we should be decent there going forward.

QB - Hunter is growing up and with a young QB who has a lot of faith in his own arm INTs will happen. That's football. Kinda like Josh Allen in his first couple season in the NFL. Fans need to realize that is what comes with "throwing the ball down the field" and "opening the offense up" INTs and errant throws happen. So be it. He has plenty of talent and will continue to improve. I would like to see him throw from a more stable base at times though. He often slides his feet/lower body out from under him while making throws causing for some inaccuracy - but this is fixable.

All great points and completely agree. However, the bolded part is where the consternation regarding the offense emanates, IMO. A poster last week, I believe Jeremy, shared that our offense is ranked ~90th in yards per attempt on passing plays. We don't appear to be throwing the ball down field more and we are beginning to utilize the 'bunch' formations from the offenses of years prior. Will be interesting to see what the offense looks like if Brock and Norton are still out this Saturday.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Kansas sucked.

KSU had a ton of guys out and WV was coming off a 3 week Covid pause to head up to Ames, Iowa in December.

I think ISU wins those games with the full roster/non pause availability but not complete domination start to finish.

That team was playing some really good football the last month but also needed breaks like Texas trying to fake punt.

But sometimes that's the difference.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
We started the game with two WR screens. I'm trying to remember if we ran those again or not. If they are in a cover four, that explains why we were popping those for like 5-6 yards. What I don't understand is why we went away from them. When you watch on TV you can't see the safeties movement and alignment very well. If they were cover 4, we needed to keep throwing those in every drive a few times to start pulling those safeties up, to counter or run game not working. If the safeties don't walk up, they will stretch their backers out. So if safeties come up, we have deeper throws, if the backers stretch out, our running lanes will loosen up some. We went away from WR screens almost immediately though.

I’m sure we didn’t run those because everyone here hates it when we run too many so now there is a quota lol

Reactions: BCClone

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
All great points and completely agree. However, the bolded part is where the consternation regarding the offense emanates, IMO. A poster last week, I believe Jeremy, shared that our offense is ranked ~90th in yards per attempt on passing plays. We don't appear to be throwing the ball down field more and we are beginning to utilize the 'bunch' formations from the offenses of years prior. Will be interesting to see what the offense looks like if Brock and Norton are still out this Saturday.
Yeah, we don't throw the ball down the field. I can't find air yard numbers right now but I can assure you we aren't anywhere near the top of that. I could live with the interceptions 30 yards down the field. It's those 8 yard outs getting picked off that are killers. FWIW, SP+ doesn't have us ranked above like 63 in any offensive category and the best ones are drives that lose yards and drives that get at least one first down. In other words, our best areas, analytically, are things that don't mean anything in regard to production. Also, we are 130/131 on ST which isn't really shocking, but is certainly damning.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
The question might be can't run vs being encouraged not to run. Might not have enough data points to answer. What is known is that the backup, if he gets injured, is either a walk-on or a true freshman.
There was some stuff about Purdy being encouraged not to run as much in his SO year, which is when Manning came back. There's some ideas that it may be Campbell who wanted that or that he was injured also so who knows the truth there

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I thought 7-5, which when you take a step back is certainly still on the table. But it's not the WHAT, it's the HOW and the WHO.

HOW - it's just same **** different game. Special teams failures and offensive incoherence. And it's not like it's ONE thing on special teams or offense - there are numerous problems in both phases that need fixed.

WHO - Kansas, regardless of the gaudy record, is still one of the lower half teams in conference we will play.

So that's why everyone is freaking out, and all the consternation about the continuing unsolved problems.
I think "freaking out" is a bit strong. I think most people just want to see some acknowledgement of some sort that maybe there're changes in philosophy or changes in scheme or something. A lot of people are watching games and with their eye they can tell it's not working but there's not much acknowledgement from anyone that matters, in words or actions, that something needs to change. Speaking for myself, I've been pretty down on what we've been doing offensively for a few years now and my point was that once we don't have a top 2-3 back in college football like we had for 6 straight years, we would have some struggles. Now, we don't have that and we can't manufacture anything. So, to me, this isn't just this year as much as it's been a few years and I can't say we've gotten better at anything offensively. Hutch is great but the next two best WRs we've had here were brought in by Rhoads, the OL hasn't gotten better since Rhoads, QB has probably been better because of Purdy he turned out to not be able to play here forever. I don't necessarily want to see anyone fired or anything either but it's getting hard to imagine that after this long there's going to be a positive shift. I hope there is and I hope Manning and Campbell adjust things in the offseason and really look at what we're doing and re-work some things but I just don't know if that will happen.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
You'd best know what you're talking bout before spouting off. Kicking is an all-around game. Extra points and field goals. Shaggy hit 100% of his extra points - one of only three ISU kickers in history to do that. He was also asked to kick some really long ones that lowered his FG percentage and still managed to hit 70%. Netten...Our second best kicker all time. Hit 80% of his field goals and 98% of his PATs. Owens...78% on FGs and another who went 100% on PATs. Keep trying...the other thing you forget is our kickers are usually asked to kick far more FGs than other places. For example last year's 1st Team All American Jake Moody of Michigan only had 24 attempts...making 22. Mevis had stats that were nearly exactly the same as Moody's and yet you don't like him. Curious

No one picks a kicker in college based on his ability to hit extra points. Making all your extra points and less than 60% of your field goals means you didnt have a good year. I never said anything about Mevis, he was very very good last year.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
There was some stuff about Purdy being encouraged not to run as much in his SO year, which is when Manning came back. There's some ideas that it may be Campbell who wanted that or that he was injured also so who knows the truth there
That's tough though. I'm not going to kill Manning or Campbell for trying dial back Purdy's running. He was beat to hell after about 5-6 games as a Fr. It's one thing to be a good runner as a QB. But he still took way to many direct shots as a runner.

troutslayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2011
All of this about Dekkers not doing this or not doing that. Remember that he is still green and has a TON of potential. He is still learning and will continue to learn, like when to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack. But give the kid a break. He's not ready to carry this team on his own, and that's what he ended up having to do with Brock and Norton out. Yes it was Kansas, but not your fathers Kansas. And yes we were in a position to win the game. But if the blame is going to be placed anywhere, it should be the lack of special teams being a priority or being an afterthought.

Reactions: CoachTretired

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That's tough though. I'm not going to kill Manning or Campbell for trying dial back Purdy's running. He was beat to hell after about 5-6 games as a Fr. It's one thing to be a good runner as a QB. But he still took way to many direct shots as a runner.
I think we are in some ways seeing how good Purdy was and may have taken him for granted.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX

Kansas sucked.

Kansas State losing to Baylor is actually bad. Baylor during COVID year sucked. They only beat Kansas, and then that Kansas State game that year.

Which makes our home game against Baylor look even worse, being down big to that Baylor team and needed a huge comeback to win.

• Dumb
Reactions: IASTATE07

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I think for some many people, we're left wondering where is the creativity on offense? What do these people do in the offseason? Does anyone even remember a RB wheel route? Or putting two backs in the backfield? Do we run a RB screen? Jet sweep?

Scary thought is that ISU requires an NFL RB to be even decent on offense under this staff.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron