Michigan Writers Take on Iowa

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I feel we know who Iowa is. Elite defense and offense that won't score more than 14 points. So special teams and forcing Michigan turnovers will be critical to Iowa winning. But I think the Hawks can win if they score 17pts. Their defense is that good.

I realize the national media loves Michigan based on their ranking. But I think Michigan has a lot to prove this Saturday as Michigan's offense hasn't seen a defense close to Iowa's.

Not sure who's going to win. But I think the O/U on this game is about 27 pts.
Iowa's defense is good but their numbers are also inflated. SDSU, Nevada, and Rutgers were AWFUL offensively. Iowa State couldn't get out f their own way, we should have won that game by a minimum of 17 points. Michigan has athletes all over the field, they will be able to score points, they just have to be patient. Iowa plays their positions really well, you can't try to force it down the field on them.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
If I were coaching against Iowa I would only throw about 15 times (or less depending on how the running game is going), max protect on every punt, and don’t put a returner back when receiving a punt. Gives Iowa’s best offense (their defense and ST) less chance of scoring.

Michigan might be able to just purely out-talent them though.
That plays right into Iowa's hands I feel. I think Michigan has to get up two scores and then cruise from there. If they try this strategy, it will be a very close game until the end.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The game will either mirror last year's Big Ten Championship Game or be another slugfest. I'm expecting a repeat, but holding out hope Iowa can somehow muddy it like they are known to do. Going to take a monumental effort by the defense to pull this one off.
I to am an Petras fan, your to dumb too recognize there ability too grow QBs. Petras four Heisman!

One wildcard will be their QB McCarthy. This'll be his 4th ever start in a pretty hostile environment against a really good defense. Not saying the kid won't come in and play lights out, obviously really talented, but will be interesting to see how he responds. If he struggles, gotta wonder if JH brings in McNamara, who played pretty bad early in the season but does have experience beating Iowa a$$.

Reactions: Jer

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The fumble was pretty much a run of the mill guy getting tackled and the ball pops out. Gift is a little bit much.

The DeJean play was incredible and begs the question why not get a package on offense for him. He is a better playmaker than anything they have on that side of the ball. Bruce is fine, Johnson is fine if healthy, and Brecht looks like a pitcher.
I to am an Petras fan, your to dumb too recognize there ability too grow QBs. Petras four Heisman!

Have you met our coaches?

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009

One wildcard will be their QB McCarthy. This'll be his 4th ever start in a pretty hostile environment against a really good defense. Not saying the kid won't come in and play lights out, obviously really talented, but will be interesting to see how he responds. If he struggles, gotta wonder if JH brings in McNamara, who played pretty bad early in the season but does have experience beating Iowa a$$.
McNamara is out with an injury. Mccarthy was already picked as starter so that's who we would get regardless but if he struggles they won't be able to have the quick hook.

• Informative
Reactions: Gonzo

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I feel we know who Iowa is. Elite defense and offense that won't score more than 14 points. So special teams and forcing Michigan turnovers will be critical to Iowa winning. But I think the Hawks can win if they score 17pts. Their defense is that good.

I realize the national media loves Michigan based on their ranking. But I think Michigan has a lot to prove this Saturday as Michigan's offense hasn't seen a defense close to Iowa's.

Not sure who's going to win. But I think the O/U on this game is about 27 pts.
Michigan has played 3 of the worst teams in FBS and Maryland so that's something I guess. 17 points seems like 45 to me in this game

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

McNamara is out with an injury. Mccarthy was already picked as starter so that's who we would get regardless but if he struggles they won't be able to have the quick hook.
Don't you two have a hawk board you can go 69 eachother on?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

True.

Parker and Kirk: "let's keep everything in front of us, rally to the ball, give up some yards, but know that we'll succeed most of the time because it is REALLY difficult to string together long drives without a mistake that kills a drive. Even if a QB is an accurate dink and dunk guy, it's very hard to go 15 plays."

Kirk and Brian: "Let's run a bunch of 3-8 yard routes and play in a way that requires 18 plays to score. I know we have a horribly inaccurate QB with a big arm, but I think that's our best bet."

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
.....One wildcard will be their QB McCarthy. This'll be his 4th ever start in a pretty hostile environment against a really good defense. Not saying the kid won't come in and play lights out, obviously really talented, but will be interesting to see how he responds.....
McCarthy is not going up against the '85 Bears. Dekkers did OK at kinnick in his first career road start.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
The fumble was pretty much a run of the mill guy getting tackled and the ball pops out. Gift is a little bit much.

The DeJean play was incredible and begs the question why not get a package on offense for him. He is a better playmaker than anything they have on that side of the ball. Bruce is fine, Johnson is fine if healthy, and Brecht looks like a pitcher.
I wonder if Brecht just quits soon and focuses on baseball..

• Agree
Reactions: BigTurk and GoHawks

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

You wouldn't be there to fluff.
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
McCarthy is not going up against the '85 Bears. Dekkers did OK at kinnick in his first career road start.

I'll be thrilled if Iowa holds McCarthy to <190 yards, 2 ints, and only 1 TD late in the 4th.

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6 and GoHawks

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Once Michigan gets up two scores, look out. Iowa has no come back offense, so the flood gates may open.

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6 and GoHawks

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
True.

Parker and Kirk: "let's keep everything in front of us, rally to the ball, give up some yards, but know that we'll succeed most of the time because it is REALLY difficult to string together long drives without a mistake that kills a drive. Even if a QB is an accurate dink and dunk guy, it's very hard to go 15 plays."

Kirk and Brian: "Let's run a bunch of 3-8 yard routes and play in a way that requires 18 plays to score. I know we have a horribly inaccurate QB with a big arm, but I think that's our best bet."
Damn dude, never thought of it that way. I really feel like most of the time Kirk is fine with whatever the offense does as long as they don't turn it over. He is perfectly fine with just punting.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I agree. Iowa would have a shot if McCarthy plays similar. Would take that right now.
Michigan probably has a better Oline so if their QB plays like Dekkers, you won’t be happy.

Also, why the hell do we have a Mich state guy posting Mich/Iowa stuff here? Guess he’s just letting us know the trolls are still here even bough they went into hiding a few weeks ago.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Damn dude, never thought of it that way. I really feel like most of the time Kirk is fine with whatever the offense does as long as they don't turn it over. He is perfectly fine with just punting.
They aren’t going to be good on offense. They are probably going to go three and out a lot. The one thing Petras can do is throw a bomb. Not with touch or accuracy, but what the hell. You connect on 2 out of 12 deep balls or get a PI and they might actually score.

Their approach just makes no sense. Voluntarily play offense the way you are trying to force the opponent to play because it is hard.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Michigan probably has a better Oline so if their QB plays like Dekkers, you won’t be happy.

Also, why the hell do we have a Mich state guy posting Mich/Iowa stuff here? Guess he’s just letting us know the trolls are still here even bough they went into hiding a few weeks ago.
I went to both Michigan and State, just went to undergrad at state so I tend to root for them more. I love the writing on Mgoblog and thought the board here would get a laugh at the Iowa section, it’s been amazing all season.