Youth

sloaner

Apr 19, 2006
Indianola, IA
We do have a young team. Kansas also has a young team. The difference is ISU has to develop the talent it has. The elite teams do not have to develop their young players to the same extent. ISU's best players needed development time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Angie and kingcy

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
Excellent post. It would be nice to get the McD guys but we wont for a while. Its coming tho. They will come, they most certainly will come!

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
FYI, Missouri and Nebraska are the only teams older than us on the 8 deep. So, do our guys need more time to develop than every other team or just Kansas?

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
FYI, Missouri and Nebraska are the only teams older than us on the 8 deep. So, do our guys need more time to develop than every other team or just Kansas?
We beat Nebbie and Mizzou just had one of those days. We havent had one yet. Maybe Saturday is our day:yes:
And again, we are not playing with 4 star recruits and most nights it shows.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
We beat Nebbie and Mizzou just had one of those days. We havent had one yet. Maybe Saturday is our day:yes:
And again, we are not playing with 4 star recruits and most nights it shows.

The problem is that Oklahoma, Ok State, Kansas, K-State, Texas, Texas A&M, and Baylor are all younger than us and bringing in better talent. How do you catch up?

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
We do have a young team. Kansas also has a young team. The difference is ISU has to develop the talent it has. The elite teams do not have to develop their young players to the same extent. ISU's best players needed development time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Once again, you are saying that our problem is talent. Which it is. Our problem is not that we are young, but that teams are more talented than us. To think that youth is the reason we are not very good would be incorrect

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Once again, you are saying that our problem is talent. Which it is. Our problem is not that we are young, but that teams are more talented than us. To think that youth is the reason we are not very good would be incorrect
Less talent, and young boils down to having no room for error.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
How so?

Lose Petey, Sean, AT

Gain Colvin and Gilstrap

I am not following you here

Well, we bring in Colvin and Gilstrap but Texas brings in the #2 class, Kansas #5, Oklahoma #11, Oklahoma State #12, Kansas State #21, Texas A&M #23, and Baylor #25. Not to mention they all (I beleive) bring back more minutes next year than we do.

sloaner

Apr 19, 2006
Indianola, IA
<p>
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I am saying youth, given the talent we have is the problem. If even 50% of our players had over two years in the program, neither youth nor talent would be a major issue. Not saying we would win all our games, but we would be consistently good.</p>
<p><font size="1"><i><font size="1"><i>Posted via Mobile Device</i></font></i></font></p>

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
How so?

Lose Petey, Sean, AT

Gain Colvin and Gilstrap

I am not following you here

Because ISU doesn't exist in a vacuum relative to the Big 12. The rest of the conference isn't standing still talent-wise while ISU improves its talent. The rest of the conference is recruiting talent as well. To make up a big gap in talent, ISU has to recruit superior talent to relative to the other Big 12 teams.

If ISU does not bring in superior talent relative to the rest of the Big 12, the gap doesn't get smaller. If ISU brings in lesser talent relative to the other Big 12 teams, the gap gets bigger.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Well, we bring in Colvin and Gilstrap but Texas brings in the #2 class, Kansas #5, Oklahoma #11, Oklahoma State #12, Kansas State #21, Texas A&M #23, and Baylor #25. Not to mention they all (I beleive) bring back more minutes next year than we do.
Fair enough...We'll see. I was pretty happy with our 09' class and from everything I hear 10' overall is much better than 09', but time will tell. I also don't put much stock in recruiting rankings.

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
We may not be the youngest but we are probably close to the least experienced. We do not have a single player that has played here more than 1 1/2 seasons. All of the teams you mentioned as younger have key guys that have been at their respective schools longer than 2 years. The other problem is yes, we do have 3 seniors but those 3 guys are borderline D1 talent. They play because they work extremely hard. If we can keep the core players together at the end of this year we will be fine. Not only do we add the 2 new recruits we also add the 2 red-shirts who will also be upgrades athletically over the guys that are graduating.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Because ISU doesn't exist in a vacuum relative to the Big 12. The rest of the conference isn't standing still talent-wise while ISU improves its talent. The rest of the conference is recruiting talent as well. To make up a big gap in talent, ISU has to recruit superior talent to relative to the other Big 12 teams.

If ISU does not bring in superior talent relative to the rest of the Big 12, the gap doesn't get smaller. If ISU brings in lesser talent relative to the other Big 12 teams, the gap gets bigger.

Your logic is flawed. If we bring in better talent than what we had before, and the other Big 12 schools bring in similar talent to what they had before, the talent gap shrinks.

Even without out-recruiting the Big 12 elites, we can close the talent gap by bringing in better recruits than what we've had over the last few years.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

Understandable. But out talent gap is not widening. We are losing 3 players that are not athletic and gaining 2 that are. Any way you look at it, our talent gap is not widening

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron