49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

convoluteme

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2019
Others talking about Purdy's mechanical improvement since being drafted is making me worry about our QB coaching and development at ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Others talking about Purdy's mechanical improvement since being drafted is making me worry about our QB coaching and development at ISU.
I wouldn’t worry about that too much. We’re talking about the best teachers in the world.. I don’t think it says too much about our own coaches / development.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
49ers at DaBears 9/11…. A sweet reunion.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I wouldn’t worry about that too much. We’re talking about the best teachers in the world.. I don’t think it says too much about our own coaches / development.

It's the evolution of the game I think too but the difference in someone like Drew Brees's release time compared to NFL is staggering.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

When we have major step backs in we production that aren’t due to o line issues and/or poor receiving threats and/or a poor running game I’ll worry but with the steps we’ve made in the qb room since CMC took over, have a qb break damn near every qb record at school and make the league as well, the future with Dekkers, Rocco, and kohl coming in, the future of the qb room is by far I’m away better off now than ever.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

Think of it this way, in college, coaches have only so much practice time with a player. So they prioritize what needs fixed. You see the same thing basketball. Great player with a funky shot form. Once they are professional, they have all the time in the day to work on those things.

I remember an interview with Hornacek when he was with the Jazz. He said after he was drafted, he spent entire days putting up hundreds of shots fixing his shooting form.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Thrilled that Brock made the roster. I had doubts that he would ever make it in the league because he's a bit undersized and doesn't have the big arm but I think his ability to manage a game and make plays when the pocket collapses is what should keep him in the mix as a backup. He's the type of player that probably will not be able to win out a competition to be a starter in the league but he's a guy you want as depth because he's not going to hurt you if he has to go in when your QB1 gets hurt. Sage and Seneca made pretty decent careers as backups, it's probably one of the better gigs you can have as you aren't taking the hits every week but there are guys that make some decent bank as career backups. Just being in the league is one of those things that these guys get to tell stories to their grandkids about 1 days and that in itself is priceless.
I remember a lot of Hype when Seneca was going to start a game for the Packers (IIRC, Rodgers was hurt and his backup was too, so they brought in Seneca late in his career) - the first black QB ever to start a game for the Packers in their history.

Then he was injured on the 3rd or 4th play of the game and didn't play any beyond that. :(

• Informative
Reactions: 83cy

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I remember a lot of Hype when Seneca was going to start a game for the Packers (IIRC, Rodgers was hurt and his backup was too, so they brought in Seneca late in his career) - the first black QB ever to start a game for the Packers in their history.

Then he was injured on the 3rd or 4th play of the game and didn't play any beyond that. :(
I got to see Seneca start a game for the Seahawks when they played the Chiefs in Arrowhead. If I recall he played ok but the Chiefs won. Always wondered what his career might have been had he made the switch to WR. The Seahawks used him as a WR on occasion and remember watching a game on TV where he lined up at WR and the other team had to call a timeout as it threw them off on how they lined up in coverage.

TheProcess

Dec 14, 2021
Michael Vick didn't learn how to properly carry the ball when running until he was in the NFL. Drastically cut down on his fumbles.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

FWIW Monte and Niang's 3 point shots are totally different as pros, in a better way and their coach knew a little bit about 3 point shooting.

Niang gets his 3 point shot off as fast as anybody on planet earth these days.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Pulled a hammy iirc.

• Informative

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I got to see Seneca start a game for the Seahawks when they played the Chiefs in Arrowhead. If I recall he played ok but the Chiefs won. Always wondered what his career might have been had he made the switch to WR. The Seahawks used him as a WR on occasion and remember watching a game on TV where he lined up at WR and the other team had to call a timeout as it threw them off on how they lined up in coverage.
I wonder if we were at the same game? Roughly 2005-2007?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I wonder if we were at the same game? Roughly 2005-2007?
Yeah, I'd have to go back and look what exact year but we went to the ISU @ K-State game the day before then made the trip up to KC Saturday night to go to the Chiefs game the next day. Have done that with a couple KU games as well when the Chiefs are in town the same weekend.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
FWIW Monte and Niang's 3 point shots are totally different as pros, in a better way and their coach knew a little bit about 3 point shooting.

Niang gets his 3 point shot off as fast as anybody on planet earth these days.
Monte' owed the improvement in his shot to a stick of gum - or more accurately a gum wrapper.

His left thumb was creeping into the push of the shot so it messed with angle and rotation of the ball. With the gum wrapper between the thumb and index finger of his left hand it took the thumb out of the equation. He did this for about four hours a day everyday in training so by the time he was doing it live the thumb was trained to stay home.