Jamie Pollard's Status at ISU

Jan 16, 2009
Ames, IA
What more has to go wrong for ISU before Pollard gets canned?

I mean, I like the changes he has made for us, but it really comes down to winning, and correct me if I'm wrong - but I don't think ISU has had a winning season in Mens B-Ball for Football since his arrival.

I'm almost certain he could get fired if Rhodes doesn't do anything special. And if McD doesnt step up in basketball...well, you see what I'm getting at.

I realize Pollard has a great relationship with the Prez, but don't you think Pollard will be off to another school if he finds success here anyways?

Some opinions on Pollard would be great.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
You could just read through any of the other ten bazillion other threads on the subject. In fact, if I weren't heading off to bed, and I put my mind to it, I could probably tell you from memory how 20 or so of the posters here feel about the subject...

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Pollard is in it for the long haul, Rhoads will get all the time he needs to do something because it is realistic we wont be going to a bowl for maybe four to five years. But if MCD cant get it done he might be in trouble because it will be MCD, Chizedick, and the firing off MAC, with no results to follow those decisions

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
It's after midnight. Most people are sleeping or in the busy with their date:wink:

JP's had some tough luck. No doubt about it.

I think the decisions he's made are long term ones. It's kind of like going to college and getting a job. Some people are like Bill Gates and drop out and still do fine, while most people it takes year to really win the game.

I do think Coach Rhoads is the make or break hire for JP. If he does well, Jamie moves on to bigger and better things. If he does not he gets let go and the future is not bright for ISU athletics in general:sad:

Let's hope he's right about this guy...

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
As poorly as we have been doing in mens basketball and football, we have been that much better in the other sports. I know that those are the two money makers and maybe the most important, but the success in almost every other sport has to mean something.

Jan 16, 2009
Ames, IA
i thought about that when writing this and your completely right. but i dont know how much people care about wrestling, volleyball, gymnastics, or womans basketball.

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA

What??

I mean, I like the changes he has made for us, but it really comes down to winning, and correct me if I'm wrong - but I don't think ISU has had a winning season in Mens B-Ball for Football since his arrival.

I'm almost certain he could get fired if Rhodes doesn't do anything special. And if McD doesnt step up in basketball...well, you see what I'm getting at.

I think Pollard has been a great addition to ISU Athletics and it is absurd to talk about him being let go.

1. McCarney needed to go. No way to know GC would do what he did. I think he has a great guy with Rhoads and we'll see progress there. If DM was still here, we would still be losing a lot of games, the momentum was completely gone from the program.

2. McDermott will get this turned around. I doubt any other coach would be any further ahead than we are now. We lost schollies due to so many leaving with Morgan and it hammered us on the APR. Plus the losing Taylor / Lucca deal hurt big time last year. Could he do better, sure, but I think he is getting there. It is a major rebuilding job.

I realize Pollard has a great relationship with the Prez, but don't you think Pollard will be off to another school if he finds success here anyways?

Well, it sure seemed he was committed based upon his comments and emotions at the presser talking about Chiz leaving and introducing Rhoads. He said he's had like 5 inquiries and said no. Sure, he will probably leave at some point, but don't see him bailing in the middle of what he has started. No one knows the future, but he seems sincere to me.

Losing Pollard would set things back I believe... we need consistent leadership, not another shake-up with a new guy's new direction, etc...

He's raising lots of money, building facilities, upgrading coaches in many sports, and really selling the Iowa State brand.

I hope he stays for a very long time.

Reactions: Bobber
Jan 16, 2009
Ames, IA
mccarney needed to go? he got us to the only bowl games we've ever been in. look what chizick did. id take mccarney over chizick any day.

pollard is a great AD, he just isnt winning. and thats a fact my friend.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN

Next thing we know, this guy's gonna start a thread about the existence of jackalopes, or how much he likes watermelons.

CompCy

Apr 7, 2006
Ames
college athletics is a business. Jamie Pollard is a business man. So far he has increased revenue even without the winning teams. So I would say he is in good standing. If revenue drops and Pollard can't do anything about it, then we need to start talking about how bad he is.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
mccarney needed to go? he got us to the only bowl games we've ever been in. look what chizick did. id take mccarney over chizick any day.

pollard is a great AD, he just isnt winning. and thats a fact my friend.

You should do a little research before saying things like that.

Yes ISU has played in other bowls besides most of the toilet bowls we went to with Danny Mac. The Liberty Bowl in the 70's was a big one when there were about 1/3 as many bowls as you find today.

I've always like Dan McCarney and supported him, but it was time for a change. Year 2 of McCarney in Ames was not any better then Coach Chizik. As a matter of fact year 5 of Dan McCarney wasn't much better. No fair comparing the two. Chizik was laying a foundation and left before anything could be proven.

Help Support Us

Become a patron