The Golden Recruit....

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
In Tecmo Bowl, Sean Landeta can punt the ball 76 yards from the LOS with a full power kick....that is a bona-fide weapon. Whoever the sally is from Seattle can only punt around 43 yards maximum. What a loser.

Case in point: New York is much better than Seattle.

Reactions: buchacho

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
How the heck does a punter get 3 stars?

mainly the schools giving him interest. if they are traditionally good/great programs the more stars a player gets. However, in most cases, it is because a player is GOOD.

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Definitely need to get a capable punter soon to take Brandtner's spot. Whether that is a guy already on the team, or this guy, we need to know who that is this season even though we don't have to use him until '10. Ideally we wouldn't have had to wait until '08 to find out that Mahoney was our kicker to replace Culbertson. Having no overlap in your kicking game is cutting it too close for my comfort after the last decade. I like the guy in waiting to be known when THE guy is a senior.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Chiz had a couple of guys, including Chad Powell, come in as the Brandtner backup plan.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I dunno if anyone else noticed, but Guyer would practice punting before games and at halftime. If I remember correctly, Mahoney did double duty in High School and also played in the Shrine Bowl as a punter. I say, Iowa State has got 2 kickers on scholarship, one of them has to be able to punt the ball. ISU used 2 scholarships on kickers last year, no need to use another one this year on an untested high schooler, no matter how many stars he has.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
There was a stat on Guyer that he put the majority of his kickoffs into the endzone in highschool.

Im assuming high school doesnt kick off from the same yard line that college doesbecause he never kicked off this year and we rarely got touch backs from....uh....uh our kickers...name escapes me.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
There was a stat on Guyer that he put the majority of his kickoffs into the endzone in highschool.

Im assuming high school doesnt kick off from the same yard line that college doesbecause he never kicked off this year and we rarely got touch backs from....uh....uh our kickers...name escapes me.

Mahoney? and yes, college kicks from further back than high school.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Well, maybe we can get the best special teams in the conference. Dan would have liked that.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008

Really, you forgot the ONLY other Cyclone besides LJ to get All Freshman Honors from multiple sources? How about Honorable Mention All Big XII? Mahoney had the same type of stats in high school. His FG accuracy wasnt as good but his kickoffs were great. I remember reading on IowaPreps that he put one through the uprights on a kickoff at least once too. Not to take anything away from Guyer though, the kid was All State in high school which is quite an accomplishment. Word is, he had an injured hamstring or quad or somethin that kept him from being full strength last year. Boulware was a good Special Teams coach (it's no longer "Special Forces") and I trust his judgement with putting Mahoney in with full kicking duties.

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Chiz had a couple of guys, including Chad Powell, come in as the Brandtner backup plan.

If you watched the punters in warm ups, you would notice that none of them looks to be a capable replacement yet. Hopefully during '09, you will see a guy stand out that is Brandtner's replacement. Again, I would like to see a one year overlap such that we don't cut it so close and gamble with any of our kicking game.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Boulware was a good Special Teams coach (it's no longer "Special Forces") and I trust his judgement with putting Mahoney in with full kicking duties.

I will NEVER understand why people think boulware was a good special teams coach. He coached here for two seasons. Season one we had one of the worst, if not the worst, special teams in the country. Season two, we were average at best. We had a good kick off team and a lot of that could be accreditted to LJ.

Every other phase of special teams, we were average or below average. Punt return ranked 52nd, Kick off coverage 59th, punt coverage 98th. And this was afte a focus was put on special teams by the whole staff.

So someone please tell me why in the world he is a "great" special teams coach

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I will NEVER understand why people think boulware was a good special teams coach. He coached here for two seasons. Season one we had one of the worst, if not the worst, special teams in the country. Season two, we were average at best. We had a good kick off team and a lot of that could be accreditted to LJ.

Every other phase of special teams, we were average or below average. Punt return ranked 52nd, Kick off coverage 59th, punt coverage 98th. And this was afte a focus was put on special teams by the whole staff.

So someone please tell me why in the world he is a "great" special teams coach

Maybe you were referring to someone else, but since you quoted me, I'm gonna pick on you. I never said he was a "great" special teams coach. He was a good special teams coach. ISU only had one kickoff and one punt returned for TD's this year. Not only that, but the thing that really impressed me was his confidence in Mahoney. Leading up to that first kickoff, everyone thought time was going to be split between Mahoney and Guyer. In newspaper articles they both said that they planned on splitting duties. I'm sure that was an incredibly hard decision to make for him, especially since both were untested in actual games. Seems like things worked out alright there.

I do know that they players who worked with Boulware were upset to see him leave. He was an intense coach, CARED about his players, and got results from a young group of athletes. Now in my mind, that is a good coach. Not a great coach, a good coach.