Williams & Blum Pod: Blood out west, Tyrese Hunter's tweet and more

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Nailed it. He played hard while at ISU. Now he’s at Texas and I hope he goes 0-10 against ISU. I don’t really care how he plays otherwise. I don’t wish success or failure any differently than I do any other player.

If fans want to cheer for him or boo him, who cares. Tyrese is a tough kid and I don’t think his feelings will be hurt. It’s just fun and entertainment. Don’t make it personal, don’t make it over the top, and never boo your own players. After that, who cares. Players at this level tend to have fun with getting booed.
Still don't know what Tyrese said.

If someone is going to let the Twitter verse get them all bent- probably a good idea to stay off Twitter.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It would be nice if everybody could agree it’s natural and fine for Hunter to be treated like a typical basketball villain (not a real life villain, a basketball villain like Marcus Smart), it doesn’t mean he wasn’t totally within his understandable rights making that choice, but facing angry ISU fans 2-3 times is just the reality of that choice.

It’s not like 100% of us didn’t already dislike Texas more than normal this season anyway, Texas is going to get extra boos at all 8 true big 12 venues this year.

But I’m sure the “he’s just a kid helping his family” police will demand he be loved by all as if supporting Texas is somehow part of being a good person.
I've defended his decision but I always felt he should get booed and razzed when he returns to Hilton. That's a fair place for it and he has a chance to respond and make everyone look like idiots if he comes into Hilton and smokes ISU. I wouldn't have been a big fan of people going after him on Twitter but now he's invited that on himself so have at it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Last summer the popular push was a 12 team playoff.

This spring the idea of an 8 team playoff was popular. My guess, largely to tweak the SEC

In the last couple weeks, it seems like there is a lot on the internet about a 16 team playoff. My guess is that serves the interest of the SEC & Big10:
  1. Allows the SEC & Big10 to dominate the playoff (getting 10-12 playoff teams).
  2. Give the ACC, Big12, Pac12 and G5 schools a playoff path.
IMO the key isn't the # of playoff teams, but how CFB Playoff $ will be split. Currently, I believe approximately:
  • 18% goes to G5 conferences,
  • Around 77% is split evenly among P5 Conferences
  • About 5% goes to the 4 playoff teams.
The biggest opportunity for the Big10/SEC is how the $1.5-$2.0B of CFB Playoff $ are split. Would not surprise me if playoff teams don't get a much, much bigger share than 5%. Maybe we see something along the lines of:
  • 5% goes to G5 conferences
  • 60% is split evenly among P5 Conferences
  • 35% is split among the 16 team's (and/or their conferences) according to advancement.
The playoff $ could be used by the Pac12, ACC or Big12 to keep their elite teams in conference vs. jumping to Big10 or SEC. If making a quarter or semi final game would guarantee a Clemson, Miami, Oregon or Washington a large payout (e.g. $50M), they might want to be a big fish in a small pond.

It could also go a long ways in keeping USC,Texas, Oklahoma, Penn State, A&M, Florida, etc. happy in their elite conferences.

• Useful
Reactions: DurangoCy

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
The fear of Anti-Trust lawsuits slowing expansion is incredibly interesting especially if it's being verbalized around leagues/media members. I'm curious how it would be applied to NCAA though. I could definitely see it happening if the B1G expanded more and destroyed the PAC12, but I don't think the Big12 doing it would (due to the relative "market share" of Big10 v Big12).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

If someone is going to let the Twitter verse get them all bent- probably a good idea to stay off Twitter.

I heard what Chris said on the podcast about Hunter's pots, but still don't know what it meant. Apparently it was bad.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It would be nice if everybody could agree it’s natural and fine for Hunter to be treated like a typical basketball villain (not a real life villain, a basketball villain like Marcus Smart), it doesn’t mean he wasn’t totally within his understandable rights making that choice, but facing angry ISU fans 2-3 times is just the reality of that choice.

It’s not like 100% of us didn’t already dislike Texas more than normal this season anyway, Texas is going to get extra boos at all 8 true big 12 venues this year.

But I’m sure the “he’s just a kid helping his family” police will demand he be loved by all as if supporting Texas is somehow part of being a good person.

This has always been my takeaway on this situation. It's totally find to both understand it but also not like it. I can understand why he did it, and appreciate the money that came his way. But that doesn't mean I have to root for the guy.

BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
Did not Tarique Milton transfer to Texas to play his final year of football? Is the expectation that he will get the same verbal assaults as Tyrese H? (i realize the football game is in Austin year and thus limited # of ISU fans in attendance).

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

It's not really that bad, but nobody actually tweeted at him or even mentioned him by name specifically so he kind of went out of his way to start this. Predictably ISU fans are really giving him the business now.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

There's a video that was released by ISU of Gabe Kalscheur saying that he's looking forward to playing Texas more than any other them and he said something to the effect: I won't tell you why, but you know why.

Tyrese tweeted back about it and then I think a bunch of fans and former Cyclones piled on him.

Mostly a pillow fight.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Did not Tarique Milton transfer to Texas to play his final year of football? Is the expectation that he will get the same verbal assaults as Tyrese H? (i realize the football game is in Austin year and thus limited # of ISU fans in attendance).

One spent 5 years at ISU and graduated.

One spent 1 year at ISU and chased money elsewhere.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
There's a video that was released by ISU of Gabe Kalscheur saying that he's looking forward to playing Texas more than any other them and he said something to the effect: I won't tell you why, but you know why.

Tyrese tweeted back about it and then I think a bunch of fans and former Cyclones piled on him.

Mostly a pillow fight.
No one is obligated to be a fan of his but these are some pretty classless replies.

Attachments

• 3D79C748-07D5-495F-B07E-FBBD6308DBEF.jpeg
    3D79C748-07D5-495F-B07E-FBBD6308DBEF.jpeg
    828 KB · Views: 125

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
meh. looks like some twitter trash talk to me. Tyrese is also not afraid to dish it out.

Tyrese is probably laughing at those comments and will use it as motivation.
To be fair he was responding to a video that he clearly took as a shot at him. But ya definitely not the worst you’ll see on Twitter but cyclone fans are better than that.

Reactions: ScottyP