Impact of Wideouts

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I see that Florida's Percy Harvin is going pro. To me, this would mean a huge stumbling block in their pursuit of another NC. After all, it was obvious that in the OU game Harvin was the difference maker and MVP, not Tebow.

The early NFL Draft projections for wideouts have him third, after Michael Crabtree and Jeremy Maclin, two more big difference makers for their teams. Not only their receiving, gamebreaking abilities, but the chance for lightning to strike on returns as well.

Add to that that OSU's offense went down the tubes in their Bowl game after Dez Bryant was hurt. Crabtree elevated Tech's prolific passing attack to another level, Bryant seemed to do the same for the Cowboys. These are guys that even the best defenses can't really handle. Difference makers.

An element both OU and UT lacked, by the way. Both players made their quarterbacks (and offenses) better.

Well, in case you're wondering why I chose to put this in "ISU Football" rather than the "Big XII" or "General College Sports" forums...let's just say that I'm really, really happy that Darius "Money" Reynolds chose to be a Cyclone.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he might be able to add to our offense (and special teams) this Fall.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I am very happy with the athleticism of the incoming recruits.
I am even more happy that our innovative Offensive Coordinator should be able to find creative ways to utilize their talents.
I don't think that ISU has had this level of athleticism in the WR corps ever. DMac and his coordinators were never creative enough to use them IMO.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I am very happy with the athleticism of the incoming recruits.
I am even more happy that our innovative Offensive Coordinator should be able to find creative ways to utilize their talents.
I don't think that ISU has had this level of athleticism in the WR corps ever. DMac and his coordinators were never creative enough to use them IMO.

And our new DC is awesome, super successful, omnipotent, mensa like, superb, knowledgeable, tricky, and will bring victory. Now we just need a name. :cool:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I have a feeling the defense will have a lot of PRs influence and he will find a guy with a similar philosophy.
If this is indeed the case, I think the defense will improve as well.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Our WR's are average. That is putting it as nice as I can.

Good news is that we have some decnet young talent. I just don't get why some people get mad when we get a new recruit at WR b/c we have 8 other WR's. 1/2 of them are not very good. Thus we need better receivers

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Good news is that we have some decnet young talent. I just don't get why some people get mad when we get a new recruit at WR b/c we have 8 other WR's. 1/2 of them are not very good. Thus we need better receivers
The upperclassmen are 'average'. That said, there's a yawning gulf between those '09 seniors, and the '08 class of signees, that "young talent". And we haven't even seen Lonzie Range on the field yet.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Top to bottom, how would you rate each of our Wide Recievers on athleticism? You can include incoming recruits if you want to.

(This question is directed to anyone and not just Aclone)

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Top to bottom, how would you rate each of our Wide Recievers on athleticism? You can include incoming recruits if you want to.

It really depends on how you are looking at the athleticism. Speed, Quickness, Vertical

And are we comparing them to other WR's across the country?

In general I would say

Darks B
SJ A-
Jones B-
Hamilton C-
Range TBD (If I had to guess B)
Sandvig C
Carlson TBD ( I would guess B)

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
UT has quan cosby and jordan shipley. maybe neither is the premiere guy like crabtree et al., but put together they are both pretty nasty.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I was thinking on the lines of overall speed, quickness, acceleration, and vertical. Not really comparing them to WR's across the country.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

"Athleticism" and the ability to be a playmaker aren't necessarily the same thing. For example, Darius Darks is a good, not great athlete, but all he does is get open and catches the ball. On the other hand, by all accounts Sed Johnson is an incredible athlete, he just isn't yet polished as a football player. Lonzie Range might be somewhere between the two.

I think that Marquis Hamilton and Houston Jones are good athletes who try very hard.

Among the commits, as an athlete, I might put Money Reynolds up there with Sed, but it's his instincts and playmaking abilities that shine through--and like Sed, he's a bit unpolished as a wideout--but that didn't stop Darks last Fall. Joshua Bellamy is, as yet, a complete mystery to me, assuming he stays committed after taking more visits the rest of the month. Josh Lenz is also something of a mystery, and I really don't want to put him down there with Alex Sandvig--either of whom, to me at best, just do the same things that Darks does so well. Only not quite as athletic.

Just my own impressions and opinions, of course.

I'd like to gear other people's opinions myself. :yes:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I think Alex got an offer b/c of his brother Zac. I think Lenz got offered b/c he is good

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
"Athleticism" and the ability to be a playmaker aren't necessarily the same thing. For example, Darius Darks is a good, not great athlete, but all he does is get open and catches the ball. On the other hand, by all accounts Sed Johnson is an incredible athlete, he just isn't yet polished as a football player. Lonzie Range might be somewhere between the two.

I think that Marquis Hamilton and Houston Jones are good athletes who try very hard.

Among the commits, as an athlete, I might put Money Reynolds up there with Sed, but it's his instincts and playmaking abilities that shine through--and like Sed, he's a bit unpolished as a wideout--but that didn't stop Darks last Fall. Joshua Bellamy is, as yet, a complete mystery to me, assuming he stays committed after taking more visits the rest of the month. Josh Lenz is also something of a mystery, and I really don't want to put him down there with Alex Sandvig--either of whom, to me at best, just do the same things that Darks does so well. Only not quite as athletic.

Just my own impressions and opinions, of course.

I'd like to gear other people's opinions myself. :yes:

I agree with you there Aclone. Athleticism does not a player make. You can be the best athlete ever and not be able to catch the dang ball or get open. Hands, size, strength, and the ability to get open (what's a good word for that), are all keys to a great WR.
All Lane Danielson did was catch footballs, but he could not create a mismatch in space or make that big cut and take it for 6 like Percy Harvin can.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Aclone - couldnt agree more. I really like our talent at this position.....we are deep at WR with both youth, talent and experience.

This is the main reason i see our offense really excelling with Herman and AA in control and Tiller seeing time in each game, just like AA got.

Now add in there the talents of Reynolds, Beshears, Bellamy, Lenz - this position is really loaded and ready to run some fun, dynamic plays with tons of options for our new OC to explore. Having Reynolds out wide with qb experience just screams of flanker passes.....it should be fun!!!!!

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA

What are you basing that on???

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron