L.A. Tastes Great, or Less Filling?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It's midseason, so I guess that I was wondering about L.A. Pomlee's progress in practice--it has to be a huge asset to have CB to practice against, and I hope he's soaking up the lessons. Does anyone have a practice report?

It becomes more important next season, whether CB leaves or not, but if Bracking is n the NBA, Pomlee could become a focal point down low, especially on defense (and rebounding).

Just curious, is L.A.'s base athleticism (running, jumping, quickness) in practice comparable to Brackins'?

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
i think LA will be a really though/physical defender and rebounder. next season his offense still wont quite be there, because he really cant step out very far at all, but could complement CB very nicely inside next year. LA does all the dirty work while Craig pours in the buckets.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That too, but to my understanding, L.A. was really raw offensively. Of course, the Kelvin Cato school of offense (go hard to the hole and dunk everything) has it's own innate value.

If I was ever close to the court I'd make sure to keep my eyes open with Cato. You never knew on defense when you'd see him swat a ball into the crowd.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Joey Dorsey was really raw offensively and if LA can be half the player he was I will be really happy...
I suspect that Hamilton+Pomlee=Dorsey+???, but that's "someday". The real question is "how soon?"

And L.A. will be playing in a conference with competent big men--unlike Dorsey. :biggrin:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I suspect that Hamilton+Pomlee=Dorsey+???, but that's "someday". The real question is "how soon?"

And L.A. will be playing in a conference with competent big men--unlike Dorsey. :biggrin:

Dorsey also held his own against one of the toughest non conference shedules ever... Hamilton has nothing to do with what I want from Pomlee, they are totally different. I want to see Pomlee be the strongest guy on the floor, every game, to make up for his lack of height... IF he is able to force post guys out 10-12 feet (Like Iowa did to Brackins) it will make all the difference...

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
What i'd really like is to get L.A. to the point where he can play like Stevie Johnson or Kenny Pratt...be a rebounding *machine*, a low-post immovable object, and capable of cleaning up the garbage around the rim, offensively. And being a bad-*** while doing it.

If he can provide that type of low-post presence, he'll fit a role perfectly and be a valuable player. Even if he doesn't have a consistent 12 foot shot.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
What i'd really like is to get L.A. to the point where he can play like Stevie Johnson or Kenny Pratt...be a rebounding *machine*, a low-post immovable object, and capable of cleaning up the garbage around the rim, offensively. And being a bad-*** while doing it.

If he can provide that type of low-post presence, he'll fit a role perfectly and be a valuable player. Even if he doesn't have a consistent 12 foot shot.

Kenny Pratt was much more than a garbage time scoring threat. He has some assume post moves and could get his shot off against almost anyone.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
I don't know how his progression is coming this year, but "raw" doesnt begin to describe his skillset coming in. I watched him play for the Martin Bros. AAU team last summer and he is probably one of the best atheletes I have ever seen in high school basketball. The only problem is that he didn't really look like a basketball player. He had a couple really big dunks just based on pure atheletisism but he was not remotely a threat on O for the most part and his D was nothing to get excited about. He got pushed around for much of the game but the guys he was guarding on both ends of the court. He did also have a couple big blocks with his jumping ability overcoming positioning. He definetely has some work to do in bulking up and the mental aspect of basketball but he is full of potential.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Dorsey also held his own against one of the toughest non conference shedules ever... Hamilton has nothing to do with what I want from Pomlee, they are totally different. I want to see Pomlee be the strongest guy on the floor, every game, to make up for his lack of height... IF he is able to force post guys out 10-12 feet (Like Iowa did to Brackins) it will make all the difference...
Makes a lot of sense.

Curiously, this is what I was hoping Mann would provide this year. After seeing how he fits into our rotation this year, I'm wondering if Coach regrets not redshirting him.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Makes a lot of sense.

Curiously, this is what I was hoping Mann would provide this year. After seeing how he fits into our rotation this year, I'm wondering if Coach regrets not redshirting him.

Mann is too small to play that role. Pomlee is what 6'7" I would give Mann 6'4" 6'5" at best. I stood right next to him (I'm 6'5")and could see that I was taller. Mann also just seems out of place and akward. I still wouldn't be suprsed to see him transfer and I think thats why he wasn't redshirted.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I was just saying that Hamilton and Pomlee should be a better combo that Dorsey and 'anybody' were, because Dorsey never had much help underneath.

Big hops also make up for a lack of height, and Dorsey didn't have 'em, Pomlee does. If he's 6-8, and can rebound anything like James at Texas, or Kansas' Darrell Arthur, I'd be happy.

Pomlee wouldn't have to be the big space eater, that looks to be Hamilton's role.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Mann is too small to play that role. Pomlee is what 6'7" I would give Mann 6'4" 6'5" at best. I stood right next to him (I'm 6'5")and could see that I was taller. Mann also just seems out of place and akward. I still wouldn't be suprsed to see him transfer and I think thats why he wasn't redshirted.
Looking at him I agree....however, listening to what McD always said about him when people on the call-in show would ask about Mann he would say that Mann was going to give us a physical presence and inside "nastiness" that we didn't have on the team last year. So, in actually seeing him play I'm having a hard time reconciling this with what McD's comments about him.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I was just saying that Hamilton and Pomlee should be a better combo that Dorsey and 'anybody' were, because Dorsey never had much help underneath.

Big hops also make up for a lack of height, and Dorsey didn't have 'em, Pomlee does. If he's 6-8, and can rebound anything like James at Texas, or Kansas' Darrell Arthur, I'd be happy.

Pomlee wouldn't have to be the big space eater, that looks to be Hamilton's role.

Dorsey didn't have big hops? What Memphis team where you watching?