Lincoln Suspends Downtown Arena Plans

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Lincoln, NE has suspended it plans to build a $180 million Downtown Arena. A scheduled vote for May has been delayed because of the economic conditions. This new Arena would have been the new Home for the Husker Men's and Women's Basketball teams.

Be very grateful we have an Athletic Director that has the "Ability" to get things done like the new Practice Facility.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I wish we had a city that would think about giving back to the university with something like this. Like maybe a Ames bond issue to help with the endzone project.....

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Lincoln, NE has suspended it plans to build a $180 million Downtown Arena. A scheduled vote for May has been delayed because of the economic conditions. This new Arena would have been the new Home for the Husker Men's and Women's Basketball teams.

Be very grateful we have an Athletic Director that has the "Ability" to get things done like the new Practice Facility.

In fairness, Pollard hasn't tried to slip a $180 million project through either..

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
I wish we had a city that would think about giving back to the university with something like this. Like maybe a Ames bond issue to help with the endzone project.....

I'm assuming that Lincoln was willing to help pay for something like this as it could be used for concerts and other events and bring people into Lincoln throughout the year. I'm not sure what an expansion of JTS does for Ames.

Last edited:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston

Quite a large difference. I doubt Pollard would be able to get a $180 million facility built.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny

This was to be a city owned and ran facililty. Nebraska would've been a tennant for basketball, but would not own or control the facility.

A proposal for a separate practice facility has been on the drawing board for years, but Tom Osborne wanted to hold off on the practice facility to see what was going to happen with the arena. With the recent arena developments, Osborne still wants a practice facililty built.

http://huskerextra.com/articles/2009/01/14/mens_basketball/doc496d5e317bb9c200575397.txt

Last edited:

Duff

Feb 29, 2008
I can tell you that there is a nice ice rink south of campus that serves both our hockey club and Ames recreation programs. It's there because both the university and the city pitched in with funds.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Lincoln did the same thing with Haymarket Park. WHEN ISU brings baseball back I think they should explore this with Ames and try to land a Nortwoods League team.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA

Not much comparison. That's like trying to slip a keg past your mom when usually you could get a sixer by without her knowing.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm assuming that Lincoln was willing to help pay for something like this as it could be used for concerts and other events and bring people into Lincoln throughout the year. I'm not sure what an expansion of JTS does for Ames.

You mean other than bring in 50,000 visitors into Ames 6-7 Saturdays every year, many of which spend money in Ames on gasoline, food, souvenirs, and restaurants? Yeah, I can't exactly figure out how Jack Trice Stadium doesn't benefit Ames either...

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
My point was:

Thank God JP was able to get the BB Practice Facility going quickly instead of waiting around for 2 or 3 years. I highly doubt that any of our past AD's would have been able to act as quickly or smoothly as JP.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
You mean other than bring in 50,000 visitors into Ames 6-7 Saturdays every year, many of which spend money in Ames on gasoline, food, souvenirs, and restaurants? Yeah, I can't exactly figure out how Jack Trice Stadium doesn't benefit Ames either...

I said I don't know what an EXPANSION of JTS does for Ames. Those people are already coming into Ames 6-7 Saturdays a year. I don't see the new seats being filled except the one day a year Nebraska or Iowa are in town.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I can tell you that there is a nice ice rink south of campus that serves both our hockey club and Ames recreation programs. It's there because both the university and the city pitched in with funds.

Yes, but the only problem with that is Ames controls it more than the university and because of it both the men's and women's hockey clubs suffer financially. Plus the atmosphere of the men's games has went way downhill since that arena opened.

Don't get me wrong, it was a necessity, but the second Ames helps finance anything with the university they want their hands in the cookie jar at all times.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

Way back in the old days, Hilton Coliseum is where hockey was played. It was really kinda neat. I suppose the cost of upkeep and switching back and forth between hockey and BB was too much.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I said I don't know what an EXPANSION of JTS does for Ames. Those people are already coming into Ames 6-7 Saturdays a year. I don't see the new seats being filled except the one day a year Nebraska or Iowa are in town.

And maybe they are. And they should be treated to an experience that's much more than an overglorified high school football stadium...