New Visitors

Cytaki

Feb 21, 2008
Nomad
We have about three new visits set up for recruiting at the end of the month.

DE Jarrett Brown 6-4 242 4.7 Arlington, Texas
Offers from- Iowa State, Kansas State, Western Kentucky
Interest from- UCONN, Purdue, Texas Tech, Utah, ULM

LB/DT- Walter Woods 6-0 275/possibly 260 4.8 Palmdale, Calif. (played with Hayworth Hicks in high school)
No offers- Interest from Iowa State, San Diego State and Nevada

OL Matt Murphy 6-6 255 Clinton, Iowa
Offers from Iowa State and Iowa, interest from UNI

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
Scout is showing Brown with several more offers: Purdue, Kansas, Fresno State and ULM. Sounds like he did not play a whole lot his junior year backing up another D1 recruit but really came on this year. Jarrett sounds like he would be a great pick up this late in the recruiting season. I would feel better about him at DE than the Nolan kid who doesn't have the offers to back up his talk.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I really don't think ISU can be too picky with who we recruit. We are probably the toughest sell for a BCS school so if a kid doesn't have a ton of offers (which Nolan has 4-5) we shouldn't bash them for it. I would take Dearco Nolan over any in state kid that is left uncommitted.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
I really don't think ISU can be too picky with who we recruit. We are probably the toughest sell for a BCS school so if a kid doesn't have a ton of offers (which Nolan has 4-5) we shouldn't bash them for it. I would take Dearco Nolan over any in state kid that is left uncommitted.
Based on what?

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Dearco Nolan almost reminds me of Collins LB that "commited" to us a couple of years ago, but didnt even have an offer. I dont know if Dearco has an offer from us or not, but as usual there are conflicting reports on who is recruiting him from different sources.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I am tired of hearing we are the toughest place to sell out of all other BCS school, if you have the right salesmen you can sell anything, I think by putting PR in as HC and the moves that he is making coach-wise, we will have great recruiting every year. I however do not expect a lot from this year, especially with them taking over so late in the game. But I hope they surprise me on a few things.....

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Alright, if we aren't the toughest sell as a BCS school, then who is??? Trust me, an Iowa fan pointed ISU out as the toughest sell and for the longest time I tried to deny it until I couldn't think of another school that would have as tough a time as us. Baylor was the only one that really came close, yet they have out-recruited us the past 3 years.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
Kansas State, Kansas are pretty hard sells. Nebraska overcame being in a small midwest city and the cold climate.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Baylor also has the plus of being in Texas and getting on TV in Texas more by playing the big boys in the Big XII South. I think being on TV is a big draw for kids. Their family and friends can watch them play most weekends.

There is no reason that ISU can not increase their recruiting draw. We just have to start playing better. If Boise State (non BCS I know) can improve their talent level, ISU can as well. Boise has the advantage of playing mostly cupcakes every week, but ISU can take advantage of the Big XII North to some extent.
It will take time to improve accross the board. ISU will have to work harder and smarter to develop kids and find diamonds in the rough, but it can happen. There are a lot of kids out there with lots of talent who are not getting picked up by the elite schools. Some are not the prototype size (Seneca Wallace) or would benefit from a position change (Ellis Hobbs III). Looking at some of our current commits, I see talent. It may not be the "Can't Miss" talent that Texas or OU get, but it is talent we can work with.
With the innovative and highly intelligent coaching staff we currently have, I think they can utilize the incoming and existing talent on the team to get better results. Thus improving our record, and then improving future recruiting.
Sorry for the long post.

Reactions: mfelske

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Depends on what a kid is looking for. Some kids want to get away from the big city to a smaller town college atmosphere, and ISU has a beautiful campus in a small midwestern town that's 45 minutes from a decent sized city in DM. Facilities are good and getting better, and the school has a good academic reputation. I think once we get kids on campus (as long as it's not -10 degrees) we can impress them. Most of all I think PR is a very charismatic young coach that can sell recruits on his enthusiasm for ISU, and he's putting together a staff that recruits can believe in. I'm a lot more upbeat about our future recruiting than I was a month ago.

isu200023

Aug 19, 2008
Kansas State, Kansas are pretty hard sells. Nebraska overcame being in a small midwest city and the cold climate.

BCS bowl games and actual stadium renovations must be tough to sell. KU and KSU may be hard sells compared to LA or Miami, but not Ames or the like.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Having a staff that will stay on board for the whole rebuilding process is huge as well. 2010 and 2011 could be pretty tough, but 2012 is an opportunity to have improved recruiting and a fully implemented system start showing big results. I think PR will be here forever and hopefully Tom Herman does not get poached from us any time soon.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Alright, if we aren't the toughest sell as a BCS school, then who is??? Trust me, an Iowa fan pointed ISU out as the toughest sell and for the longest time I tried to deny it until I couldn't think of another school that would have as tough a time as us. Baylor was the only one that really came close, yet they have out-recruited us the past 3 years.

And we outrecruited them the three years prior to that. Probably the six or seven years prior to that. We are NOT the toughest sell, especially when we are winning bowl games like we did under Mac.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Not trying to be a negative nancy because I love ISU more than anybody, but we have essentially no tradition. Ask an out of stater if they know anybody who played basketball or football at ISU. When I went to school in Arizona, not a single one of my buddies down there knew what town ISU was in. I think Hilton is the best basketball venue in America but in the games I went to this year, the balcony crowd was allowed to sit in the parquet because there were so many empty seats. As far as football, we haven't played past January 1st since well EVER. Facilities are improving and I think we have the best coach for the job, but please just accept the fact that we are the toughest sell of a BCS school

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Not trying to be a negative nancy because I love ISU more than anybody, but we have essentially no tradition. Ask an out of stater if they know anybody who played basketball or football at ISU. When I went to school in Arizona, not a single one of my buddies down there knew what town ISU was in. I think Hilton is the best basketball venue in America but in the games I went to this year, the balcony crowd was allowed to sit in the parquet because there were so many empty seats. As far as football, we haven't played past January 1st since well EVER. Facilities are improving and I think we have the best coach for the job, but please just accept the fact that we are the toughest sell of a BCS school

Tradition really meens nothing to kids these days...

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
if they were friends in high school i think it would be very relevant but otherwise not so much.

my thoughts exactly, athletes at high school hang out together lifting, etc so they would have know each other, although Brackins was a few years older