MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CyState85

May 8, 2019
If Happ is in the long term plans, I wouldn’t mind him getting some looks again at first base. He played a handful of games there in his career and I think that will be his best fit in the future since that is the weakest spot in the lineup.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
If Hendricks goes to the IL, the Cubs top 4 highest paid players are injured and that is not including Suzuki who just returned from IL.

Close to $80 million sitting on the bench or doing rehab starts. Time to move any players with a pulse, rip the bandaid off with Heyward and see what you have going forward.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If Hendricks goes to the IL, the Cubs top 4 highest paid players are injured and that is not including Suzuki who just returned from IL.

Close to $80 million sitting on the bench or doing rehab starts. Time to move any players with a pulse, rip the bandaid off with Heyward and see what you have going forward.

Hope he doesn't as they may be open to trading Hendricks for the right haul and he needs to stay healthy and string together a few decent starts to have some value. He's been up and down all season but probably shown enough for someone to think they can get him to fill a middle to back end of the rotation role. I'd be fine if Heyward stays on the IL the rest of the year. Velazquez has been hitting so far with regular playing time, helluva lot better than Heyward would have for sure.

Gotta hope that Contreras hamstring is OK as not a good time to have a potentially lingering injury for the player you could get the most for in a trade. I'm not expecting much in return for Miley or Smyly if either can get healthy enough to regain some trade value, I think some of the bullpen arms are going to be in demand though. Like you said time to rip the bandaid off and go full blown rebuild. If the player is not in the long term future past 2023 then time to trade or cut them and start developing the guys who will be around then.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018

Hendricks 100% needs traded before the season ends. Get him out while he still has some value for a playoff contender.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Well crap, 15 day IL puts him around a 7/20 return at the earliest. At least Alec Mills is on the IL now too, he's 1 guy I could do without seeing again. I know he threw a no hitter in 2020 but he's been mostly garbage lately and could probably get injured letting out a fart it seems like.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I think the Cubs hold on to Hendricks and Contreras.

Think they hold on to Hendricks because as crazy as it seems, they’re only 1 Ace (free agency) from having a top starting rotation.

I think they had intentions of trading Contreras, but Judge and Correa have both now made comments alluding to the need to play for a team that takes this **** seriously.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Think they hold on to Hendricks because as crazy as it seems, they’re only 1 Ace (free agency) from having a top starting rotation.

I think they had intentions of trading Contreras, but Judge and Correa have both now made comments alluding to the need to play for a team that takes this **** seriously.

What are you talking about?

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Ace (free agency)
Hendricks
Stroman

Then you pick 2 of Smyly (if here) Thompson, Steele, and Sampson, I would guess you have a top half starting rotation

So we have 4/5 of a top starting rotation currently on the team yet somehow don’t have a good rotation.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

If they were planning to keep Contreras they would have signed him to an extension by now. I will be pissed if they don't trade him at the deadline then watch him walk for nothing in the offseason. If he's part of the future then pay up now else it's just stupid to let him hit free agency with no guarantee to resign him.

Have you watched this pitching staff at all? Hendricks is maybe a #3 starter at best right now as he has not been very consistent even going back to last season. I think his best days are past him. Thompson and Steele look promising but will need some time to see how they develop and if they can string together more consistent outings. Stroman has been a bust so far, can't stay stay healthy and when he has pitched has not looked looked good. I do think there is some optimism with the young pitchers in the organization right now but if they want to contend sooner than later they need to bring in 2 top end starting pitchers to jump start this thing and hope the young guys continue to develop and make the rotation stronger in the process.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I guess I disagree that we don’t have a good rotation. I think we have a pretty decent rotation. Our bullpen and bats suck.

Well you’re wrong. The Cubs are 15th in the mlb in runs scored, tied for second in OBP and 12th in SLG.

Their starters rank 25th in ERA and 27th in FIP. The bullpen is 19th in FIP for comparison. I have no idea how you can look at this team and think the offense is the main problem.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron