On That Note - It's All "2" Much (Part 1, 1962 & 1972)

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Welcome to another edition of On That Note. OTN is a weekly music post hosted alternately by @cyclones500, @CycloneRulzzz and yours truly.

As teased yesterday, this week we launch our annual albums-by-decade series.

For part 1, post your favorite LPs released in 1962 and/or 1972. (Those years only, NOT the entire decade.)

Include 3 or 4 sound clips. In addition to the tracks, we encourage you to expound on why the album is meaningful, including personal history of your relationship with the record and its music.

Choices should focus on studio albums. Avoid greatest hits/live LPs/compilations. We’ll allow it, but it should be a definitive element of an artist’s body of work that isn’t otherwise available from studio output.

If someone posts an album on your list before you get to it, you still may reference it, but use different song clips.

There are dozens of best/favorite album lists, by year released, on line.

And, If you’re more singles-oriented, you may substitute top singles from either of those years.

(In subsequent weeks, we’ll do 82/92 and 02/12)
My First Album Selected is from 1972

Aretha Franklin - Young Gifted and Black

My favorite track:

And, the biggest hit from the album:

And a great cover of the Elton John song:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era, 1965–1968

Strictly speaking, this is a compilation album. But definitely one for the ages. This gave 60s garage/psych music a literary and sonic launching platform and was crucial to a lot of the punk explosion that happened a few years later. Everything from Mexi-live club performance "Farmer John" by the Premiers to early Todd Rundgren with his original band, Nazz.

I'll pick out a few 'nuggets' for the post but it stands as THE compilation album up to that point.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
The first Steely Dan I ever bought was "Aja", but I went back and bought everything they had cut on up till then.

1972, "Can't Buy a Thrill" with "Do It Again" , "Reelin' in the Years", and, still a favorite, "Only a Fool Would Say That".

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I will close this evening with Cat Stevens, "Catchbull at Four" 1972...a damned fine year for music. Used to play this one on the guitar, thought I was so cool doing that hammer-on...

Reactions: Cydar

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I checked my informal list of favorite albums from the golden era of rock (1967-73) but to my suprise didn't see any from '72 although this one would fit. With Talking Book, Stevie Wonder started a series of four or five albums in the 70's, all golden--the kind where there were no bad songs on the record:

This one includes a fine Jeff Beck solo.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
@Cydar beat me to it! But I’ll forge ahead, with my rambling preamble, and select 3 different tracks.

#1 Record
Big Star
(April 24, 1972)

“Power pop” existed prior to this, and continued after, but #1 Record is a signature nugget in the genre. Got some positive critical response at the time, but limited record-label distribution, seems like it could have been huge for AM radio, but wasn’t. Eventually became a retrospective “lost gem” and was influence on several alt/indie bands in ‘80s & ‘90s (The Replacements; Teenage Fanclub, among others). Also: Underrated album cover.

• Friendly
Reactions: Gonzo and Cydar

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I was a Johnny-come-lately in discovering this album--decades late--but I'm glad I did.

I actually bought their second album (Manassas 2) when I was a teenager. It was just okay, but I knew not of their great first album:

Stills' voice is so awesome on this track:

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
“They Only Come Out at Night”
Edgar Winter Group
(Released: November 1972)

Underrated LP from ’72. Has more to offer beyond its two most legendary tracks (you know what they are!). Both of those continue to sound good, even with classic rock saturation, but I won’t include either here. Instead, 3 favorites from among the rest. Good driving album, too. … I bought it randomly on cassette roundabout 1982 … it got heavy tape-deck use in my automobile.

(1st track on Side 2 of vinyl)

Reactions: pourcyne and Cydar

Help Support Us

Become a patron