Cyclones Land New Commitment!!!

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
It will be a couple years before he contributes, but should fit well if we still utilize the H-back position. Rush end could be a possibility as well.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I was just writing about this kid.....

This is a great get in my mind.....

6'-3" 210 lbs and runs 4.57 this kid is a player - reminds me a lot of Chad Greenway very instinctive player - if ever the term diamond in the rough - this kid is it. Only a 2* by rivals but i think he is a real good commit.

Great job Coach Rhoads.....

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
I played football at Waukee this year, then I transfered once it was over. But I knew jake and he was a cool guy. He played fullback/wide reciever and weak side linebacker on defense. His 40 time is legit. If he bulks up a bit he will be a great linebacker. Great hands also

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I think Iowa was looking to offer a greyshirt or preferred walkon with him. I know KF went and watched him play recently.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
When signing day comes in less than a month, everyone on this board and PR is going to say all the right things about this class. People are going to tout it as a bunch of "diamonds in the rough," and get a false sense of enthusiasm about the class. But really, what makes our 2* players the diamonds, but other teams' 2* players just the rough, other than just blind faith? Everyone seems to like our new coaching staff, but I don't see it as head-and-shoulders above anyone else's

The fact of the matter is that we have only 3 verbals from high school recruits that have any offers from other BCS-conference schools: White, Boffeli, and Beshears.

I do realize that Chizik and the coaching change contributed greatly to our position, but in my opinion, unless things vastly improve on the recruiting trail, we are going to be creating a false sense of excitement when touting this recruiting class come National Signing Day.

I hope I'm wrong, but so far I don't see a whole lot to be excited about in this class so far.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Welcome to the Cyclones, Jake!

So, what's the "great" news? I'm still looking for that part.

That claimed 4.57 40 time is questionable, at best. It's not a combine time, and if he was really that big and that fast, we wouldn't be getting him over North Dakota and Wyoming. Not so long ago, a high school kid from Cresco named Kyle Slifka claimed to be the same size and speed. He walked on at ISU, you decide how that turned out.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Welcome to the Cyclones, Jake!

So, what's the "great" news? I'm still looking for that part.

That claimed 4.57 40 time is questionable, at best. It's not a combine time, and if he was really that big and that fast, we wouldn't be getting him over North Dakota and Wyoming. Not so long ago, a high school kid from Cresco named Kyle Slifka claimed to be the same size and speed. He walked on at ISU, you decide how that turned out.

You have a point, but football is a lot more than just size and speed. If it were, guys like this - Ronnie Wingo Jr. - Football Recruiting - would be top 5 recruits nationally. (6'3" 220lb and a national champion in the 200m)

However, you're right in the fact that I'm not sure a 200lb linebacker from Waukee, ranked 9th in the state and with Army as his next best offer, is really going to materially help us. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
However, you're right in the fact that I'm not sure a 200lb linebacker from Waukee, ranked 9th in the state and with Army as his next best offer, is really going to materially help us. Again, I hope I'm wrong.
Waukee isn't exactly invisible, not some tiny little eight man school. If he were any good, Iowa wouldn't be going to the East Coast for two star linebacker recruits; and Kansas and Nebraska would be offering. Hardly like he's a hidden gem.

CRLCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Welcome Jake!!!!
We can't wait to see you play!
---------------------------------
Some people on this board need to stop bashing every dang recruit and committment coming on board, based upon only star rating and whether or Iowa as offered. Geez. Really, some of you need to decide if you are on the correct board. Questions are one thing, but the whole...

"I sure hope i'm wrong, but everything looks bad stuff".... it's got to go...

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Some people on this board need to stop bashing every dang recruit and committment coming on board, based upon only star rating and whether or Iowa as offered. Geez. Really, some of you need to decide if you are on the correct board. Questions are one thing, but the whole...

"I sure hope i'm wrong, but everything looks bad stuff".... it's got to go...

You think we should all be blind optimists without any regard to reality? I'd much rather get into real discussion about the state of our football program than have to make it all up on a whim, predict 8 wins a season, and consistently be wrong. Just me?

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
go to school with this kid. same grade. great athlete played saftey and WR on our team. best player on the field in pretty much every game. the speed is legit. thought he might play baseball in college but i guess not. he probably not an immediate contributer, but i could see him helping out in the future. put up HUGE numbers as a WR in high school, but dont know that he could play that in the big XII. im happy for him. great kid.

CRLCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids
You think we should all be blind optimists without any regard to reality? I'd much rather get into real discussion about the state of our football program than have to make it all up on a whim, predict 8 wins a season, and consistently be wrong. Just me?

Not blind optimists, but rather...
Support your team and the commits that choose ISU.
Unless we are evaluating the talent, we don't know how they are going to turn out.. Lesser 'star' players can make a difference.

Do I wish we had the pick of any and all players in the country? Absolutely. I hope we get there someday. The recruits today will hopefully help us get there.

Gotta change our mindset to a positive (not blindly) outlook to expect these players to make a difference.

U expect good things, good things happen.
U expect bad things, bad things often happen (i.e. we attract them) gotta change that.

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
When signing day comes in less than a month, everyone on this board and PR is going to say all the right things about this class. People are going to tout it as a bunch of "diamonds in the rough," and get a false sense of enthusiasm about the class. But really, what makes our 2* players the diamonds, but other teams' 2* players just the rough, other than just blind faith? Everyone seems to like our new coaching staff, but I don't see it as head-and-shoulders above anyone else's

The fact of the matter is that we have only 3 verbals from high school recruits that have any offers from other BCS-conference schools: White, Boffeli, and Beshears.

I do realize that Chizik and the coaching change contributed greatly to our position, but in my opinion, unless things vastly improve on the recruiting trail, we are going to be creating a false sense of excitement when touting this recruiting class come National Signing Day.

I hope I'm wrong, but so far I don't see a whole lot to be excited about in this class so far.

So what's different than any other year? If you want something different than that, you are cheering for the wrong team because history says it won't be much different year in and year out no matter who's the coach here.

Like it or not, half the kids in this country don't even know where Iowa is (a lot of adults fall into that category too). Wherever I travel people say "oh, you're from Iowa, that's the Buckeyes right?" or "oh, Iowa is the potato state, right?" or the best "Iowa, that's the state where everyone's a farmer". If we are going to be successful, it might as well be with the kids we've got and some of them hopefully will be Iowa kids. By the way, this kid grew up in the KC area. What does that matter? Nothing, just seems like some people feel better if a kid automatically plays anywhere but the state of Iowa.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron