Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I never watched or paid attention to the “This is us” TV show until about a week ago. Tonight is the series finale, and with these poignant posts from @pourcyne I’m feeling kind of angsty.

• Friendly
Reactions: pourcyne

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
"Keeping Quiet" by Pablo Neruda

Now we will count to twelve
and we will all keep still
for once on the face of the earth,
let's not speak in any language;
let's stop for a second,
and not move our arms so much.

It would be an exotic moment
without rush, without engines;
we would all be together
in a sudden strangeness.

Fishermen in the cold sea
would not harm whales
and the man gathering salt
would not look at his hurt hands.

Those who prepare green wars,
wars with gas, wars with fire,
victories with no survivors,
would put on clean clothes
and walk about with their brothers
in the shade, doing nothing.

What I want should not be confused
with total inactivity.

Life is what it is about...

If we were not so single-minded
about keeping our lives moving,
and for once could do nothing,
perhaps a huge silence
might interrupt this sadness
of never understanding ourselves
and of threatening ourselves with
death.

Now I'll count up to twelve
and you keep quiet and I will go.

You certainly find interesting poems I'm glad you post them I enjoy reading them. It's not a literary genre that I'm good at trying to read and explore on my own. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
You certainly find interesting poems I'm glad you post them I enjoy reading them. It's not a literary genre that I'm good at trying to read and explore on my own. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting.

Thank you. That is a very kind thing to say, and Christ knows we all need some kindness, especially today when all those babies (and their teacher) will not go home to the folks who cherished them.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I think in this case it was actually a person who would consider themselves woke not being very woke. If it's the instance i saw. Regardless it's bad.
There was one poster a while back, young, who used the word you are probably referencing. We had a very nice conversation in DMs about how it might be perceived by others. He honestly didn't think about it before, and virtually dropped from his lexicon.
Sometimes it's just a matter of awareness.

Reactions: VeloClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
2 years into Skype meetings being the norm and people still don't know how to mute mics
I'll forget to mute myself after I am done talking on occasion.
One thing that drives me nuts are people that are off mute and their TV is on in the background, or their dog or baby is making noise.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
One thing that drives me nuts are people that are off mute and their TV is on in the background, or their dog or baby is making noise.
Or in a cheap hotel and they say it’s the adjoining room neighbors who are getting busy. Distracting for a meeting.

• Haha
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and jcyclonee

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
That's the noise that drives me crazy especially when it's like 12/70 people in a meeting with that background noise

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I have...but usually in jest with friends, or with a follow-up post explaining WHY their post was dumb. For some folks, it seems to be their only form of communication.
I think I've only used it in jest with friends. I feel kind of guilty about using it, unless it's directed at @VeloClone or @BCClone because those two actually deserve it (and I know they won't be offended by it).

I suppose that I do "JLH" bomb threads when I find that somebody posts too many comments that I find to be a bit ridiculous. I also suppose that isn't really all that respectful.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think I've only used it in jest with friends. I feel kind of guilty about using it, unless it's directed at @VeloClone or @BCClone because those two actually deserve it (and I know they won't be offended by it).

I suppose that I do "JLH" bomb threads when I find that somebody posts too many comments that I find to be a bit ridiculous. I also suppose that isn't really all that respectful.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The graphic is pretty small so I'm assuming it's this day:

camel_towing_mn_truck_front.jpg

Yes, that's my license plate number if you want to track it.

Reactions: BCClone

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I like the fact that in teams you can mute other people. I will viciously do that during some calls.
Does it mute foe everyone or just for you? Another huge issue is people not using headphones so you get an echo of the presenter on the people with open mics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron