Tarique Milton Lands at Texas - your thoughts?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
3417397-3185479189-aEwPM.gif

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Because context matters. It's not like he was passed up by Hakeem Butler or Allen Lazard type players. The guys ahead of him were 1 legit good WR and then a bunch of bad ones. Some guys fall out of the rotation because there was too much talent ahead of them. That isn't what happened here
I get your point, but Noel is not a bad WR. He’s legit good. Milton was kind of an outside WR in a slots body. We all kind of expected him to replace Deshaunte Jones, but he never had that wiggle or play making ability. Decent speed, decent hands, didn’t make a bunch of mistakes at PR, but overall not a very dynamic player.

I’m surprised Texas took him. If he actually gets in the rotation there, that says something about their talent level, because he would have been a backup here at best. Horns down.

Reactions: jsb

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Lolerskates. Milton barely played at ISU. Texas must be desperate. I have to admit it’s been fun beating Texas these past three seasons. They’re living proof that their culture is a joke and we can win with far less talent.

Reactions: isutrevman

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He gave what he had when he was here. He entered the portal early. He was classy when he was playing, fell in the depth chart, and when entering the portal.

In the end he had no explosiveness. Maybe after an off-season he can recover and get it back, but he has looked very slow the last couple of years fighting through injuries.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I get your point, but Noel is not a bad WR. He’s legit good. Milton was kind of an outside WR in a slots body. We all kind of expected him to replace Deshaunte Jones, but he never had that wiggle or play making ability. Decent speed, decent hands, didn’t make a bunch of mistakes at PR, but overall not a very dynamic player.

I’m surprised Texas took him. If he actually gets in the rotation there, that says something about their talent level, because he would have been a backup here at best. Horns down.
I can’t believe people aren’t completely jacked about Noel. D. Jones was a very solid slot guy, but Noel is next level.

When Milton was healthy as a Fr he was solid, but as you said, he was never a slot. He was a small guy that was really only suited to play outside. He was never a get in and out of breaks guy like Noel. He was a small straight line speed guy.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I can’t believe people aren’t completely jacked about Noel. D. Jones was a very solid slot guy, but Noel is next level.

When Milton was healthy as a Fr he was solid, but as you said, he was never a slot. He was a small guy that was really only suited to play outside. He was never a get in and out of breaks guy like Noel. He was a small straight line speed guy.

Yeah, Milton was Jarvis West without the elusiveness. His biggest plays were either deep across the middle or off of WR passes. Deshaunte Jones was the best player at M so far under Campbell. Probably followed up by Trevor Ryen. We all assumed that Milton would take over for Jones at M with very little dropoff, but that never happened. He's not a guy that could take a WR screen, make a guy miss and pick up 15 yards. Noel can do that. He's bigger, just as fast and more elusive. I think that by the time he's done, he will be looked at as just as good as D Jones.

• Winner
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Just an odd landing place. He's obviously had some success here but whether it was injuries or others performing better his role diminished. It will be interesting to see if he's able to crack the 2 deep.

Also, can we stop with the NIL stuff? You really think Texas threw a bag of cash at a guy who had a combined 30 catches over the last 2 years?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yeah, Milton was Jarvis West without the elusiveness. His biggest plays were either deep across the middle or off of WR passes. Deshaunte Jones was the best player at M so far under Campbell. Probably followed up by Trevor Ryen. We all assumed that Milton would take over for Jones at M with very little dropoff, but that never happened. He's not a guy that could take a WR screen, make a guy miss and pick up 15 yards. Noel can do that. He's bigger, just as fast and more elusive. I think that by the time he's done, he will be looked at as just as good as D Jones.
Any time I see a Jarvis West mention, I take time to remember this "interception" by K-State.

1653399963864.png

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
A lot of bad takes in here. Milton was great his first couple years here. He got dinged up then found himself out of the rotation when he got back. He also was a little slight and didn't fit in the 3 TE sets that we ran so much last season
Yeah, I don't like minimizing how good he was, even if it fell off after injuries. In both his freshman and sophomore seasons he had the second-most receiving yards on the team, with 417 yards in 2018 and 722 in 2019 (behind Butler in 2018 and Jones in 2019).

I think he fit really well as a complementary piece to both Butler and Jones by being the guy who could find open space in the middle of the field while Butler was going deep or Jones was taking the short passes on the edge. But on top of Milton's injury issues, those skills also were kind of redundant with Kolar and Allen.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yeah, I don't like minimizing how good he was, even if it fell off after injuries. In both his freshman and sophomore seasons he had the second-most receiving yards on the team, with 417 yards in 2018 and 722 in 2019 (behind Butler in 2018 and Jones in 2019).

I think he fit really well as a complementary piece to both Butler and Jones by being the guy who could find open space in the middle of the field while Butler was going deep or Jones was taking the short passes on the edge. But on top of Milton's injury issues, those skills also were kind of redundant with Kolar and Allen.
I don't think too many people are minimizing it. He was a solid player when healthy. Even then he's a bit of an odd case as a small guy that doesn't really have the one thing that you need in a slot, which is a guy that can get in and out of breaks quickly. If he stayed healthy I would imagine he would still play as a second outside guy. He just has some attributes that make him a bit of an odd fit in today's game.

Unfortunately the injuries have really taken a toll. I admire that he has tried to play through these injuries and was glad to see that TD. He seems like he needs some extensive time off to see if he can regain his speed.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Without knowing how much of a part NIL played, I was surprised with the Texa$ landing spot just from a playing time standpoint.

Last edited:

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I always liked Milton, definitely won't miss him on the punt return team though.

• Agree
Reactions: Frak