Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Supposedly he said in a recent interview that he didn't think it was fair to use the portal to recruit over the players already on the team.

As good as TD? Didn’t know Fran had 2 sweet 16s and an elite 8.

Reactions: CycloneVet

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Supposedly he said in a recent interview that he didn't think it was fair to use the portal to recruit over the players already on the team.

I bit and went over there for about 30 seconds. The circlejerking over there floors me every damn time.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls

Bahahaha. That breeds complacency with his players then. If you have no fear of losing your spot, then why put in the extra work to get better?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I bit and went over there for about 30 seconds. The circlejerking over there floors me every damn time.
Did I just read that someone thinks Fran's atleast as good as Dr Tom? That's a hot take.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Did I just read that someone thinks Fran's atleast as good as Dr Tom? That's a hot take.
Hawk fans interacting with logic:

EachPastelDegu-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: JP4CY

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Sandfort looks like a player who could be a good piece with playmakers around him but struggle without good point guards and inside finishers to open up shots. Probably an improvement on defense over a middle aged final form Jobo but not on offense.

I've barely been following this but is Fran just going to eat a scholarship or two because he can't get any transfer targets?

I like Sandfort. Honestly I think he's going to be pretty good. I don't know if he'll be an all-conference player or anything but he's going to be a productive player for the remainder of his career there.

I think he's about as good as Dr. Tom. Once Raveling's players were gone he was basically a 20-10 round of 32 coach. Fran is basically one tick lower that that but he's right there.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I like Sandfort. Honestly I think he's going to be pretty good. I don't know if he'll be an all-conference player or anything but he's going to be a productive player for the remainder of his career there.

I think he's about as good as Dr. Tom. Once Raveling's players were gone he was basically a 20-10 round of 32 coach. Fran is basically one tick lower that that but he's right there.
I think Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota were so much better then and there wasn't Nebby, PSU, Rutgers.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota were so much better then and there wasn't Nebby, PSU, Rutgers.

Fair point. I'm not saying they are the same, just that Fran isn't that far behind him.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Dr. Tom coached in a loaded Big Ten while Fran has feasted on a weak bottom half of the conference. It's not even close IMO.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Hawkeye guy on KXNO right now saying Iowa is a tournament team. There is a lot of "if so and so and raise his game." "So and so is due for a breakout year."
Yeah that was crazy to me. Saying Perkins, Sandfort, Patrick are all going to have break out years and that Rebracca is going to offer them a lot and they are a tournament team without Kris and with Kris they are a sweet 16 team. What is he smoking? Also hyped up their lower rated Freshman PG coming in.

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Yeah that was crazy to me. Saying Perkins, Sandfort, Patrick are all going to have break out years and that Rebracca is going to offer them a lot and they are a tournament team without Kris and with Kris they are a sweet 16 team. What is he smoking? Also hyped up their lower rated Freshman PG coming in.

Yesterday's KXNO?

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
They've anointed Dasonte Bowen as the next great PG. Kid is going to have a rough time if he doesn't perform up to Iowa fans bloated expectations.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think most of it is he sucks at recruiting PGs, actually guards in general.
Yep. And Bowen is going to be thrown to the wolves next year. Ulis is going to really have to step up or we’ll likely see Connor have to step into that role.

Connor
Perkins
Sandfort
PMac
Rebraca

Please, please, please give us that starting 5 lol.

Help Support Us

Become a patron