Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I actually think it was pretty foolish of Iowa to not go after any guards in the portal.

Uhlis, Perkins, Connor, and two freshmen. Dix is also recovering from a major injury.

I like Perkins but he wasn't a good ball handler this past year. Not a whole lot to work with in that group.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
When it comes to this offseason, I'm not sure how any Hawkeye fan can say that Fran has been anything other than a disaster, with a straight face. Yes, he made an effort, but he's struck out on everyone other than a retread who couldn't find any other takers and had to come back to Iowa. They've taken some big swings and missed on all of them. There's no sugar coating that. And if Kris Murray ends up staying in the draft, I'm not sure how you can go into next season with any optimism at all.

Well they will have a soft non-con and have to play Northwestern, Nebraska, and Penn State so there is some optimism.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Ahhh you guys all bring me joy....

Just 14 months ago, we had a situation where Iowa was poised to make an E8 or F4 run with Garza, Murray, Joe W ect ect....and ISU was as low as we've ever been with a lame duck coach.

I can't decide which is more surprising: how fast ISU rose from the ashes or how quickly Iowa fell.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I saw a couple of posts from Iowa fans that claimed using the transfer portal isn't a sustainable way of building a roster and that TJ is gonna have to recruit high school kids. Apparently they didn't realize we have more high school kids coming in next year than they do.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I saw a couple of posts from Iowa fans that claimed using the transfer portal isn't a sustainable way of building a roster and that TJ is gonna have to recruit high school kids. Apparently they didn't realize we have more high school kids coming in next year than they do.

We've been doing it this way for over 10 years and 3 different coaches. Granted we had a couple of lean years in there, but we've had way more success than them in that time frame while they were doing things the "right way." There's also a reason why a lot of blue blood programs are utilizing the transfer portal quite heavily. Outside of mid-majors, practically no one is doing things the way Iowa is. It's worked for them in that they are a consistently average to above-average team that generally does nothing in March. That's the ceiling in Iowa City.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Building a program with no NIL and all high school kids is a recipe at this point to be a AAA baseball team. Absolute lunacy.

That said, this is my yearly reminder we keep thinking they will suck and they haven't sucked for a long time now. I'll believe it when I see it.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Building a program with no NIL and all high school kids is a recipe at this point to be a AAA baseball team. Absolute lunacy.

That said, this is my yearly reminder we keep thinking they will suck and they haven't sucked for a long time now. I'll believe it when I see it.

Fran can't recruit period. He's gotten incredibly lucky with Garza and the Murrays just to name a few.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I actually think it was pretty foolish of Iowa to not go after any guards in the portal.

Uhlis, Perkins, Connor, and two freshmen. Dix is also recovering from a major injury.

I like Perkins but he wasn't a good ball handler this past year. Not a whole lot to work with in that group.

Why?? No player in the portal throw an entry pass as well as Connor... Elite playmaker

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Apparently Mad Fran is saying now he's focused on 2023 lol...gonna just eat open scholarships?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Apparently Mad Fran is saying now he's focused on 2023 lol...gonna just eat open scholarships?
Yeah, if they strike out on Brooks, I'm not sure they're going to bring anyone else. And if Kris ends up staying in the draft? Woof. Things might get pretty ugly next year.

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
I agree with the first part, but not the second. Hard to call it luck when it keeps happening.
I’ll give Fran credit with Garza. He was a nice recruit but he also went outside the program to develop. The Murray brothers were waived in Frans face by their father.

StagecoachMike

Mar 24, 2021
Apparently Barta is JUST now figuring out NIL's are a tool to lure away good transfes. NO **** SHERLOCK.

I think the reason why Barta wants to "slow down" the transfers is because he doesn't want their donors to start splitting their money up for NIL purposes; they want the full share to keep going to the athletic department. Yet, if they don't start utilizing NIL it's going to be difficult for Iowa to stay competitive. I think Iowa is one of the schools that wants nothing to do with transfers and NILs being used in unison.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Aww man. And he was definitely, most likely, probably, maybe going to consider thinking about the possibility of becoming a Hawk next year. Hardcore Iowa fans had already started knitting him a jersey.
2nd place finish for the hawks. Can't tell them otherwise