Poll: Most disliked Big 8/12 men's basketball coach.

Which Big 12/Big 8 basketball coach did you dislike the most

• Norm Stewart

Votes: 53 15.1%
  • Bill Self

Votes: 106 30.3%
  • Eddie Sutton

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Bob Huggins

Votes: 13 3.7%
  • Billy Tubbs

Votes: 32 9.1%
  • Larry Brown

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Roy Williams

Votes: 125 35.7%
  • Other (please mention in the thread)

Votes: 8 2.3%

• Total voters

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You were probably all born before those giant satellite dishes that you punched numbers into in order to get programming...yes, almost before electricity...almost before Marconi...

At any rate, in the day, we could watch ISU games on non-network live feeds, and, one evening, we were treated to open-mike comments before sign-off by the Quinnster after ISU beat them at Mizzou (pretty sure of it, but don't remember the year). Snyder referred to his team as, and I kid you not as "...a buncha painted whores".
He always looked so drugged out.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Roy Williams. Not a great coach, but somehow landed at two blue bloods so people think he’s a good coach. A ******* cheating scum and an all around ass hole. Bill Self will at least compliment and give credit to other teams and always seems to have good things to say about ISU. Norm retired right around the time I started watching college sports so can’t choose him, but I know my dad would choose him without a second thought.

That honestly might be one of the things I hate most about Self - the condescending bull**** he's said over the years, especially as refs took wins away from us.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I'm on the younger side of this board but I dislike Chris Beard more than anyone on this list. Not totally sure why he just really rubs me the wrong way

Reactions: NWICY and ScottyP

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Hypothetical… any ISU coaches make this poll if this is being done by another school fanbase?

IMO… Johnny was pretty universally liked. So was Fred. Eustachy and Floyd didnt stay long enough to generate ire from others.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Tubs had a punchable face. “Sit down” Norm coached at Misery and I’m sure the Antlers were his idea.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I hated Billy Tubbs!

I hated his squeaky whiny voice!
I hated how he would intimidate the refs and get a way with it!
I hated the way he would always talk down about teams he was playing.

But my hate for him was cemented the game in Hilton where he was getting booed off the court at half time for all his antics, and he stopped and pointed up at the scoreboard. The boo birds were out in full force the rest of the game until Tom Shaeffer (sp?) made the game winning shot as time ran out to send him off with a loss.

• Creative
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
You were probably all born before those giant satellite dishes that you punched numbers into in order to get programming...yes, almost before electricity...almost before Marconi...

At any rate, in the day, we could watch ISU games on non-network live feeds, and, one evening, we were treated to open-mike comments before sign-off by the Quinnster after ISU beat them at Mizzou (pretty sure of it, but don't remember the year). Snyder referred to his team as, and I kid you not as "...a buncha painted whores".

Is that when they had those twin brothers? A long time ago took a trip to Mizzou for a Cyclone double header. I was sure the women would win and the men were suspect. The results were just the opposite. Fun trip though. The old gal from Mizzou sitting next to me was all friendly and chatty before the game wouldn't say a word to me after the Mizzou loss. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: pourcyne

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It's easy to hate on the KU coaches, but back in the old big 8 days the rivalries were much better with the KU coach, Tubbs, Norm and Johnny they all ribbed the hell out each other and goaded the fan bases on. It was a great time to be a BB fan.

OU during that time frame was probably my most hated team because they brought those foam #1 fingers and were waving them around while on the bench. Student section was behind the bench back then things got a little heated they threw water at the fans and ice got thrown back at them. Ushers came down settled things down but nobody got removed from what I can remember.
Cap guns to shoot off when Suicide Steve was announced for the line up and during free throws. It was a great time.

Before all the youngsters get wound up Steve Stipanovich (spelling?) accidently shot himself in the leg while cleaning it. But back then well we chanted Suicide Steve at him because well why not.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Is that when they had those twin brothers? A long time ago took a trip to Mizzou for a Cyclone double header. I was sure the women would win and the men were suspect. The results were just the opposite. Fun trip though. The old gal from Mizzou sitting next to me was all friendly and chatty before the game wouldn't say a word to me after the Mizzou loss. LOL.

I remember the Antlers making fun of Jeff Grayer's mom who was very ill. Made it easy to hate Mizzou.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011

Only twins I remember were the Griffins who played for OK. One of them got hit in the oysters every game. We called him Nutsak.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This poll shows the youth of this board. Norm is way under valued.
Lol! The coach leading the poll is retired and hasn't coached in the conference for almost 20 years. The term "youth" is definitely relative.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Lol! The coach leading the poll is retired and hasn't coached in the conference for almost 20 years. The term "youth" is definitely relative.
Roy moving to UNC didn't stop him from being a burr under our saddle. LOL

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Does anyone miss Bruce Weber?
He has my vote.

Hated how he seemed to ALWAYS extend timeouts by just sitting there until the refs came over and seemed to disregard the coach zone.