Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They are dead set that he will be a lottery pick next year... "why wouldn't you want to come back and be the big man on campus and improve your stock".
I can understand that logic from a fan perspective but his stock can be improved while playing professionally. If scouts believe he's a year away from being his brother, then he can develop in the G-League playing alongside other NBA talent not by playing with Connor McCaffery.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Fran is a dumbs**t for not playing/starting him if he is the same as Keegan. Either way though, Fran is a dumbs**t.
I have an incredibly hard time figuring out if there was a basketball / strategical reason as to why Kris was coming off the bench while Patrick started. Obviously nepotism seems to be the overall reason but I can't come up with a logical explanation outside of that.

Kris was better statistically in every category except FT% and averaged 7 less mpg.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I have an incredibly hard time figuring out if there was a basketball / strategical reason as to why Kris was coming off the bench while Patrick started. Obviously nepotism seems to be the overall reason but I can't come up with a logical explanation outside of that.

Kris was better statistically in every category except FT% and averaged 7 less mpg.
Margaret is the reason....

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

It was all about next season. Fran knew his roster would be f*cked if he lost both of them. He purposely slow played Kris.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Margaret is the reason....
Right right I mean it's blatantly obvious to point out the family reasons. I was just wondering if an Iowa fan could explain it in a way that actually made sense basketball wise. Because I watched Iowa nearly every night they were on and it never made any sense.

Reactions: Stilwellclone1

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It was all about next season. Fran knew his roster would be f*cked if he lost both of them. He purposely slow played Kris.
Not saying that didn't happen but what a dumb ******* idea that would be. Lol especially considering there's a decent chance that happens anyway.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Fran is a dumbs**t for not playing/starting him if he is the same as Keegan. Either way though, Fran is a dumbs**t.
It's inexcusable. If they are really the same, how do you justify only giving a first team All-American type <18 mpg?

To me there are a couple of answers:
A) Kris isn't as good as Keegan.
B) Fran is a nepotistical buffoon
C) Both of the above can be true

Fran must be desperate for Patty to get as much tape out there for NBA scouts to digest. He is jealous of Kenyon and wants to have a son make it into the league.

If you're Kenyon, even if you bleed black and gold, how do you send your son with NBA potential back to play for the man who sat your son on the bench often times so his own son, who is less talented, could get minutes? If Kris was used properly this year, and played 25-30 mpg, we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now. He'd be gone. Fran has literally delayed his development by a full year.

I am surprised a transfer option isn't on the table if he does decide to return to school. He could get some NIL money from a better program that would also showcase him better.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's inexcusable. If they are really the same, how do you justify only giving a first team All-American type <18 mpg?

Fran must be desperate for Patty to get as much tape out there for NBA scouts to digest. He is jealous of Kenyon and wants to have a son make it into the league.

If you're Kenyon, even if you bleed black and gold, how do you send your son with NBA potential back to play for the man who sat your son on the bench often times so his own son, who is less talented, could get minutes? If Kris was used properly this year, and played 25-30 mpg, we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now. He'd be gone. Fran has literally delayed his development by a full year.
B has been proven over and over again for the last 5 years, will continue to be proven over the next 2, and then will be proved again when the 3rd McCaffery brother finally suits up to play for daddy.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
It is so ridiculous that he wasn't playing 28-30 minutes per game last year. He was their second best player. I understand he fouled too much but I think with more minutes he would have gotten better at not picking up dumb fouls.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I guess it just confuses me that he wants to return to a place where he should have been starting and wasn’t for whatever reason unless it really just is the dad calling the shots. I would just be pissed and if I wanted to play another year in college have entered the portal and go somewhere you know you will get your shot. At his age, a two way contract and development there makes more sense. Maybe it’s that famous Mad Fran charm he wants to experience again.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
He'll be back at Iowa. Kenyon just likes making it his show.

I'm still not convinced he's coming back. It sounds like he has multiple private workouts scheduled which is why is isn't participating in the combine. There is speculation that a couple of these teams would be ideal landing spots that he would have a hard time passing up based off their history of player development etc.

Reactions: exCYtable

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017
He'll be back at Iowa. Kenyon just likes making it his show.
Bingo!

That being said, how much development do you get against Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State, Minnesota, and, for that matter, IU or Rutgers? And be assured, Iowa will get to play each of them twice- the Big 10 scheduling gods ALWAYS have them playing these teams 2x and some of the league's best only once. Or you could go to the G-League, play against similar pro's that you will face for the next ten years and work with great developmental coaches everyday and truly improve. Plus, sign a ten day contract and it's an automatic $500,000- probably bigger than any NIL deal he could secure at Iowa.

Iowa fans are the only fanbase that thinks its a privilege to play for old State U for 4 years vs. setting yourself up for life and many even think they as loyal fans are owed this by their athletes- it's such a 1980's outlook on college athletics.

Reactions: Ankency

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Was listening to Chad ball wash Iowa hoops last night on KXNO and they talked a lot about Kris. Basically the consensus among the Iowa Fan Boy media is that he comes back and has a blow up season just like his brother. "they are the same player".... They never once discussed his age as far as next years draft goes, that can't be ignored and it does matter.
This is so bizarre. If he's really a clone and really that good, then (a) why wasn't he starting or playing more (b) why wouldn't the media like Chad be all over Fran for not playing him more or starting him? This is an Iowa team we Rick rolled and got beat in the first round by Richmond. We're not talking about the Harlem Globetrotters here. Without looking I'm guessing Connor got as many or more minutes. What a total crap show over there.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This is so bizarre. If he's really a clone and really that good, then (a) why wasn't he starting or playing more (b) why wouldn't the media like Chad be all over Fran for not playing him more or starting him? This is an Iowa team we Rick rolled and got beat in the first round by Richmond. We're not talking about the Harlem Globetrotters here. Without looking I'm guessing Connor got as many or more minutes. What a total crap show over there.
Connor averaged like .2 less minutes.

Reactions: exCYtable

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

I am surprised a transfer option isn't on the table if he does decide to return to school. He could get some NIL money from a better program that would also showcase him better.
What???

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

Fran shooting for Prohms record right now. That's a no from Fardaws, Theo, Osun, that kid from Indiana who's name I forget, DJ Burns, and now Mitchell. Anyone I'm missing?

Last edited: