Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Funny how much the people covering Iowa are pumping up a walk on commit. Leistikow on Hawk Central said something along the lines of "Iowa fans are always whining about not getting an athletic guard, well you here you go" lol
I also found it funny that Kakert was mad at people annoyed that Fran hasn't landed anyone in the portal and his take on it was 'calm down, there are 1500 players in the portal" as if they are all equal. lol

Because the walk-on commit is going to get put on scholarship in a month.

I still think Kris Murray comes back but he probably should go if draft experts like Jeremy Woo have him as an early 2nd rounder. 23 years old is ancient in draft years.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Funny how much the people covering Iowa are pumping up a walk on commit. Leistikow on Hawk Central said something along the lines of "Iowa fans are always whining about not getting an athletic guard, well you here you go" lol
I also found it funny that Kakert was mad at people annoyed that Fran hasn't landed anyone in the portal and his take on it was 'calm down, there are 1500 players in the portal" as if they are all equal. lol

I was listening to Hawk Central on KXNO last week and Chad was trying to downplay Frans strikeouts in the portal.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Because the walk-on commit is going to get put on scholarship in a month.

I still think Kris Murray comes back but he probably should go if draft experts like Jeremy Woo have him as an early 2nd rounder. 23 years old is ancient in draft years.

The interesting Angle here is that a lot of people think he comes back because his family is deeply rooted in Iowa basketball but I don't get the impression from Kenyon that they feel pressured for Kris to come back and play. I honestly don't know if his stock gets much higher when you factor in age.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I was listening to Hawk Central on KXNO last week and Chad was trying to downplay Frans strikeouts in the portal.
1500 players in the portal and Fran will end with either a) not one of them or b) whatever is left when everyone else has the kid they want. It's basically how he's ended up with both the true transfers he's ever had, Rebraca and Bomani Evelyn.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
1500 players in the portal and Fran will end with either a) not one of them or b) whatever is left when everyone else has the kid they want. It's basically how he's ended up with both the true transfers he's ever had, Rebraca and Bomani Evelyn.
There's no reason for him to be as incompetent as he is. It's hilarious af.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
The interesting Angle here is that a lot of people think he comes back because his family is deeply rooted in Iowa basketball but I don't get the impression from Kenyon that they feel pressured for Kris to come back and play. I honestly don't know if his stock gets much higher when you factor in age.
Except maybe when you get feedback from the NBA that it isn't going to happen that you come back with the promise that you are the featured player on the offense. Not sure Fran can promise this with two sons to feed on the floor, but maybe he does. I mean, it's one or the other given that the portal is shut for now.

Reactions: psychlone99

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Except maybe when you get feedback from the NBA that it isn't going to happen that you come back with the promise that you are the featured player on the offense. Not sure Fran can promise this with two sons to feed on the floor, but maybe he does. I mean, it's one or the other given that the portal is shut for now.

Yeah it's definitely a pick your poison situation. No, he won't be a high draft pick but he would 100% get a G League contract and possibly even a two way deal.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Seems like a mistake. Even if you aren't wanting to leave yet, you'd think teams would want to see you show some interest in what it takes to get there.
seems like the Murrays think Kris best chance at late 1st/early 2nd is for Keegan to show out and be a top 5 concensus pick and then push that Kris is a genetic clone and argaubly a better shooter. thus avoiding him getting overmatched in some of the one-on-ones and looking like a late 2nd round pick

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
seems like the Murrays think Kris best chance at late 1st/early 2nd is for Keegan to show out and be a top 5 concensus pick and then push that Kris is a genetic clone and argaubly a better shooter. thus avoiding him getting overmatched in some of the one-on-ones and looking like a late 2nd round pick
I heard on the radio today that he was opting for private workouts. That might explain the decision, as it gives him a chance to go through the process while holding out the carrot of potential to see who bites. Given Keegan's improvement path, that might be enough to get someone to take the chance.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I heard on the radio today that he was opting for private workouts. That might explain the decision, as it gives him a chance to go through the process while holding out the carrot of potential to see who bites. Given Keegan's improvement path, that might be enough to get someone to take the chance.
he has the incredibly unique circumstance of having a genetic clone and identical comp in the draft class. plus his camp can point to the big point outbursts when keegan was hurt or in foul trouble. i just dont see how any team past the lottery can pass on him if a 3 and d wing is a need. i would be shocked if he was still on the board past 35 picks.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
he has the incredibly unique circumstance of having a genetic clone and identical comp in the draft class. plus his camp can point to the big point outbursts when keegan was hurt or in foul trouble. i just dont see how any team past the lottery can pass on him if a 3 and d wing is a need. i would be shocked if he was still on the board past 35 picks.
I guarantee these pro scouts are going to think Fran is a ******* moron for playing him just 18 minutes/game. Will further tarnish his reputation and make recruiting (outside of his own offspring, legacies and kids whose parents have tiger hawk tattoos of course) even more difficult.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I guarantee these pro scouts are going to think Fran is a ******* moron for playing him just 18 minutes/game. Will further tarnish his reputation and make recruiting (outside of his own offspring, legacies and kids whose parents have tiger hawk tattoos of course) even more difficult.
They knew that 30 years ago.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Was listening to Chad ball wash Iowa hoops last night on KXNO and they talked a lot about Kris. Basically the consensus among the Iowa Fan Boy media is that he comes back and has a blow up season just like his brother. "they are the same player".... They never once discussed his age as far as next years draft goes, that can't be ignored and it does matter.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Was listening to Chad ball wash Iowa hoops last night on KXNO and they talked a lot about Kris. Basically the consensus among the Iowa Fan Boy media is that he comes back and has a blow up season just like his brother. "they are the same player".... They never once discussed his age as far as next years draft goes, that can't be ignored and it does matter.
They aren't the same player..