AJ Green Leaves the Portal - Staying in Draft

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
He was really good for a freshman last year. Best in the conference. He also wasn't first team all conference like IB. He wasn't 2nd team either, or even 3rd team. He wasn't even voted honorable mention all conference. So the voters, even though they thought he was the best freshman, didn't even consider him a top 30 player in conference (Sochan was the only freshman who made honorable mention). While some are certainly underselling his loss, we also have plenty of chicken littles overselling it.

It sucks losing him because he probably will end up as a first team all conference player in the future. However, when comparing what this year's team will be compared to last year's it's nowhere near impossible to replace Hunters production from last year.
Dude was responsible for 20 ppg for a team that scored in the low 60’s, and had one other offensive threat.

He also made a top 15 list for whatever defensive award they give out.

He was also the freshman of the year in the best league, by far.

This year’s team will be different, that’s for sure.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
They already have projected rankings based on the new players and we are 101st right now in offense.

And yeah, I watched a few UNI games, the dude is a prolific scorer and shooter. He was "an exactly what this team is missing" kind of guy when I saw him play.

You're insufferable, all year people are complaining about how bad our offense was now it looks like we might get Green and his defense isn't good enough for you. You can't have it both ways.
Weren’t you done with basketball?

I forgot to ask, does Bart Torvik have all of the final rosters for all of the teams playing NCAA Basketball next year?

If he does, he’s doing life wrong, he should be in Vegas mopping up.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Dude was responsible for 20 ppg for a team that scored in the low 60’s, and had one other offensive threat.

He also made a top 15 list for whatever defensive award they give out.

He was also the freshman of the year in the best league, by far.

This year’s team will be different, that’s for sure.
Where are you getting 20 ppg? He averaged 11.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I guess assists don’t count. Don’t tell John Stockton
Lol, ok. No one counts ppg that way when talking basketball statistics, but fine. Here's some other stats for you on Hunter. Below 40 fg%, below 30 3pt fg%, below 70 ft%. If you want to talk about his offensive numbers he was pretty inefficient on that end.

Edit: Oh yeah, assist to turnover ratio of 1.52 (rank if 252 nationally), which is.... not good. Should we subtract points from his ppg for turnovers?

Last edited:

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Lol, ok. No one counts ppg that way when talking basketball statistics, but fine. Here's some other stats for you on Hunter. Below 40 fg%, below 30 3pt fg%, below 70 ft%. If you want to talk about his offensive numbers he was pretty inefficient on that end.
He was talking about points produced. There is a stat that measures points produced per game but it isn't just points and assists, it also takes into account offensive rebounds and turnovers.
Yeah, he was pretty inefficient on the offensive end but a lot of that is that he was a Freshman and being asked to be the second best scorer on the team. That was a lot to ask of him. If he puts in the work those percentages will go up. Especially the 2 point percentage.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
The advanced player ratings do

And the offense we played the entire season was inefficient

He was just one of two guys that could actually generate offense on his own.

But he’s gone. Apparently we will be much much better offensively this year.

• Dumb
Reactions: Ozclone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
He was talking about points produced. There is a stat that measures points produced per game but it isn't just points and assists, it also takes into account offensive rebounds and turnovers.
Yeah, he was pretty inefficient on the offensive end but a lot of that is that he was a Freshman and being asked to be the second best scorer on the team. That was a lot to ask of him. If he puts in the work those percentages will go up. Especially the 2 point percentage.
That's interesting, and I admit I haven't heard of that. Where can you find that stat?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
But he’s gone. Apparently we will be much much better offensively this year.
I never said this, at all. I would much rather keep him than see him go, but more for the promise he showed as a freshman than the actual production on the floor. There is a middle ground here.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I never said this, at all. I would much rather keep him than see him go, but more for the promise he showed as a freshman than the actual production on the floor. There is a middle ground here.
Didn’t say better team, said much better offensively. That has been stated by multiple people.

It will be interesting to see what the new guards will contribute this year, and if Gabe becomes more consistent

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think all in all it is probably it is at least a wash in getting Green and losing Hunter. But given what the team needs, shooting and scoring ISU probably came out ahead. They added guys who will be good defensively so not concerned about adding Green on that end because he can at least be adequate and if he is surrounded by other good defenders it should be ok.

I still think they need to add a big though and hope it can be the St. Bon kid.

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Sports reference I know has that stat. Just looking at it now. Brockington was 4th in the conference with 15.3 points produced per game.
So the PProd metric? I see it presented as a season total of 426 for Hunter. At 35 games that's about 12 per game. What am I missing, and how do I get to 20 @Cyclones1969 ?

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

Not saying we should believe everything we see on twitter. Obviously we do not. But where does this guy Ahrens who claims he is a CBKReport analyst get off on tweeting that yesterday? Is that a fake account?