NCAA Conf. Commsnrs Seek Congressional Help with NIL while Cong. Has for Years Been Influenced by MLB Lobbyists to Keep Illogical Antitrust Exemption

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020

I would like to see Congress do the right thing in regards to sports, but a first step would be to vote down baseball's antitrust exemption (the Supreme Court has said it is up to Congress to do this).

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Yeah, not going to happen. Congress isn't going to tell a private business or individual how much they can pay a college athlete.

Reactions: Mr Janny

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
This is so new that I'm not sure it would be wise for congress to jump in. Dust needs to settle a bit before taking any action. Some of these problems could correct themselves as we navigate this.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Well, I suppose the Feds could pass laws against using NIL as a recruiting inducement or pay-for-play. If that was actually codified as a crime, a law enforcement agency with actual subpoena and prosecutorial power could go after the violators. If a few violators actually got punished, it might server as a deterrent.

Reactions: psychlone99

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I like that this might be looked at.... I'm just not sure what the best solution is to keep things reasonable and competitive for all schools.

I like the idea of kids getting paid... I don't like that this is becoming a "highest bidder" situation to land kids. This might create a greater divide between the "haves" and the "have-nots" and that is never good for overall competition.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The last part of this will make people giggle: "preserve amateurism in college sports."

Lol. Make sure they can get paid, but preserve amateurism.
Clowns.

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The last part of this will make people giggle: "preserve amateurism in college sports."

Yeah that is a joke. National NIL law would be good to prevent a race to the bottom by the states. However, "protecting" athletes and "preserving amateurism" is absolute bull feces.

They are just trying to get ahead of anyone else trying to do anything they think is detrimental to their conference schools....

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I like that this might be looked at.... I'm just not sure what the best solution is to keep things reasonable and competitive for all schools.

I like the idea of kids getting paid... I don't like that this is becoming a "highest bidder" situation to land kids. This might create a greater divide between the "haves" and the "have-nots" and that is never good for overall competition.
You have nailed it, and I've said it 1000 times - the problem isn't PAYING players, it is BUYING players.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Conference Commissioners are too invested in the current model. But that is a reasonable expectation since they live & breath college athletics.

Anti-trust isn't the issue. NIL isn't the issue.

The issue is NBA and NFL owners need to be pushed to fund legitimate minor league system similar to MLB. If Congress wants to do something, they should exert some pressure on NFL & NBA Owners. Maybe threaten a tax on franchise value when it is sold by franchise owners who use public funding sources to build their stadiums.

The other issue that Congress could legislate is the NFL and NBA preventing young men from earning a living by creating arbitrary restrictions when young athletes can be eligible for the NBA & NFL drafts. In MLB the 1st round signing bonus slots in 2021 ranged from $8.4M for the #1 pick to $2.4M for the last pick. In the 2nd round the signing bonuses ranged from $2M to $1.1M.

If the NBA implemented a similar signing bonus structure- I bet most of the top HS hoops players would enter the NBA draft vs. going to college. IMO leveling the talent pool coming into college sports will solve the crazy NIL stuff currently happening.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Conference Commissioners are too invested in the current model. But that is a reasonable expectation since they live & breath college athletics.

Anti-trust isn't the issue. NIL isn't the issue.

The issue is NBA and NFL owners need to be pushed to fund legitimate minor league system similar to MLB. If Congress wants to do something, they should exert some pressure on NFL & NBA Owners. Maybe threaten a tax on franchise value when it is sold by franchise owners who use public funding sources to build their stadiums.

The other issue that Congress could legislate is the NFL and NBA preventing young men from earning a living by creating arbitrary restrictions when young athletes can be eligible for the NBA & NFL drafts. In MLB the 1st round signing bonus slots in 2021 ranged from $8.4M for the #1 pick to $2.4M for the last pick. In the 2nd round the signing bonuses ranged from $2M to $1.1M.

If the NBA implemented a similar signing bonus structure- I bet most of the top HS hoops players would enter the NBA draft vs. going to college. IMO leveling the talent pool coming into college sports will solve the crazy NIL stuff currently happening.
I don't think it's even slightly feasible to think that Congress would force the NFL to create a minor league system. That kind of power is reserved for emergency situations like wars and pandemics, not to preserve some antiquated form of sports entertainment.

Potentially, they could take up the cause that Maurice Clarret championed earlier this century, but even if they ruled that players could go directly from high school to the NFL/NBA, that doesn't suddenly mean that all of these issues go away.

Neither are likely to happen, though.

Help Support Us

Become a patron