Curtis Stinson Jr 2025 Recruit

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Curtis Stinson Sr. had a tear-drop floater that was a thing of beauty. One of the best that I have ever seen. He is still one of my all-time favorite Cyclones. If junior is as good as dad, he will have an outstanding career.

He won’t be because his game will be AAU induced vanilla. CS was from the playground, he had to develop a unique game with all kinds of quirks and toughness. That doesn’t really happen anymore. Basketball kind of sucks in that regard now. They all get the same coaching, they all know what college coaches are looking for so that’s what they focus on.

Enjoy Kyrie while you can because he’s about the last of the unorthodox ballers outside of the genetic freaks that dominate with their athleticism or the one thing they are 10X better at than everyone else.

• Agree
Reactions: Malone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
He won’t be because his game will be AAU induced vanilla. CS was from the playground, he had to develop a unique game with all kinds of quirks and toughness. That doesn’t really happen anymore. Basketball kind of sucks in that regard now. They all get the same coaching, they all know what college coaches are looking for so that’s what they focus on.

Enjoy Kyrie while you can because he’s about the last of the unorthodox ballers outside of the genetic freaks that dominate with their athleticism or the one thing they are 10X better at than everyone else.

Yeah, Kyrie is 6'2" and not a particularly good athlete for NBA standards. But he's a magician at finding angles and using weird changes of tempo to make windows for himself or for a brilliant pass.

Reminds me of like a Drew Brees in football. He had none of the physical tools you usually associated with elite quarterbacks, but he was sly about moving in the pocket to find passing windows despite his short stature for an NFL player and had a very good intuitive understanding of how to play the game.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
That video must have been from when he was about 10. My kid is a freshman at Roosevelt and played against Junior’s Kingdom teams lots of times at that age and he was always a man among boys. So naturally Valley recruited the best freshman in our district and now it looks like Stinson’s kid has joined him. That’s how it works now at all levels. Ironically, the super team in the metro among sophomores is at Ankeny HS. They recruited the best kid from Centennial (who plays with Lipsey for D1 Minnesota in AAU) and the best kid from Urbandale. Makes it hard to win if you just want to play for your neighborhood school.
This, I find sad, as an old guy.
Two of Ames starters were recruited from a east Waterloo, my old school.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah, Kyrie is 6'2" and not a particularly good athlete for NBA standards. But he's a magician at finding angles and using weird changes of tempo to make windows for himself or for a brilliant pass.

Reminds me of like a Drew Brees in football. He had none of the physical tools you usually associated with elite quarterbacks, but he was sly about moving in the pocket to find passing windows despite his short stature for an NFL player and had a very good intuitive understanding of how to play the game.

I equate Drew Brees more to a Chris Paul. Elements of “streetball” but their weapon is their brains.

Kyrie’s main weapon is also his brain, but it’s more of a right brain dominant situation whereas Brees and Paul are more left brain dominant players if that makes sense? Chris Paul’s rip through move to produce fouls is a classic example of his left brain play.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I equate Drew Brees more to a Chris Paul. Elements of “streetball” but their weapon is their brains.

Kyrie’s main weapon is also his brain, but it’s more of a right brain dominant situation whereas Brees and Paul are more left brain dominant players if that makes sense? Chris Paul’s rip through move to produce fouls is a classic example of his right brain play.

I agree with all this. I agree with your more general point that what makes a lot of these players and their sports interesting is creativity being displayed through their play, not just robotic efficiency.

I think you are sadly right basketball is short on young stars with unique games right now. I think it is slowly dragging down the popularity of the NBA as some of the old guard is starting to fade out and retire. That might change, but there is something of a lack of young guards with unique and heady game.

I think football is the opposite. The NFL has always had a least some pocket-bound automatons who methodically pick apart defenses one short pass at a time down the field (e.g., Montana, Peyton Manning, Brady, etc.), but the league is starting to be dominated by young, big-armed quarterbacks with a gunslinger mentality. Guys like Mahomes, Justin Herbert, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, and Joe Burrow are cut from that same "roll it out and air it out" cloth as Brees, Rodgers, and Wilson. They're going to be fun to watch for a long time, and I think their emergence is one of the main reasons the NFL has had a resurgence the past two seasons.

Baseball is kind of the opposite of all this. Everything is so optimized and standardized now that it's boring. There aren't guys like a Rickey Henderson or an Ichiro with a unique approach to the game who have the ability to turn every play into something unexpected and exciting when they're involved.

180class

Dec 30, 2015
Curious as to how these kids can receive D1 offers when D1 schools aren't allowed to contact them until after September 1st of their Junior year?

180class

Dec 30, 2015
Through parents or AAU/HS coaches
That's not allowed by NCAA recruiting guidelines. I have a daughter who is a sophomore right now and has interest from a few D1 softball programs, but they've made it clear that they cannot contact her/us, her high school coach or her club coach until after September 1st. The only thing they can do is invite her to camps and let her know they will be in contact sometime after midnight on 9/1.

Apr 12, 2021
That's not allowed by NCAA recruiting guidelines. I have a daughter who is a sophomore right now and has interest from a few D1 softball programs, but they've made it clear that they cannot contact her/us, her high school coach or her club coach until after September 1st. The only thing they can do is invite her to camps and let her know they will be in contact sometime after midnight on 9/1.
It is allowed for M/W basketball, football, and baseball. All other sports you're correct.