New Director of Football Operations named.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Interesting hire... almost all of his coaching experience is in the AFL... are we gonna have guys play both ways? First coaching hire that I am indifferent to...

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Interesting hire... almost all of his coaching experience is in the AFL... are we gonna have guys play both ways? First coaching hire that I am indifferent to...
The guy is the DFO, not a position coach. I wouldn't be too indifferent. A DFO isn't going to have much of an impact on what we see on the field on way or the other.

JCloned2

Dec 29, 2008
One of the often unknown elements of the AFL and associated leagues is the role that recruiting plays. I had often assumed that like other pro sports that recruiting isn't a part of the deal, but in fact it plays a big role. Besides the actual recruiting the management & administration is a big deal and it sounds like he will b e a good fit here. Perhaps more than any other position, this role is the right hand of the HC so having someone with a history and close relationship should help them get off the ground running. Not a typical hire, but a good fit I think

AustinCyclone

Nov 17, 2006
Austin, TX
Relax guys. The Director of Football Ops is responsible for making the travel arrangements, coordinating coaches schedules, etc. It is not a major position relating to recruiting or player instruction/influence.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
DFO does more stuff off the field...making sure stuff runs smoothly at home and on the road. They are on the sidelines, but don't really coach.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I think one of the duties of this position is with relations with high school coaches and setting up clinics and things like that. Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested to know what some other things Brian will be doing if anyone happens to know.

Edit: it looks like this was partially answered while I was typing this..

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
I'm dumb on this subject, but:
a) the Director of Football Operations reports to the Head Football? It sounds funny but makes sense.

==>PR is making $1.0 million and my guess is that BS is making a lot less than $1.0 million.

IOWASTATE

Oct 29, 2007
Ames
Even tho he wont be handling anything really as far as actual coaching goes, its nice to know hes been around winning and has proven he can win.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Does the DFO have any influence on the pregame activities/player intros? I was just thinking that someone with AFL experience might know to do some razzle and dazzle - and maybe get people here to stop complaining about it so much.

JCloned2

Dec 29, 2008
Does the DFO have any influence on the pregame activities/player intros? I was just thinking that someone with AFL experience might know to do some razzle and dazzle - and maybe get people here to stop complaining about it so much.

Not typically that is usually the work of the marketing folks in athletic departments

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
What does a Director of Football Operations do?

Is it in any way similar to the Assistant to the Traveling Secretary for the New York Yankees?
george+costanza

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
What the DFO does depends on the program and person. Some guys are just glorified secretaries and others are very involved - even in coaching to some extent.

Chizik noted at one of the coaching seminars that his DFO was working toward becoming a coach.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
His resume also indiactes he was a three-time academic all-America. I don't think much of this staff fits the "dumb jock" mold.

I likee

Z

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron