Does Dekkers being a lefty affect how people may perceive his potential?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Lefties had it rough back in biblical times. I heard he has a chip on his shoulder over that.

Reactions: Farnsworth

Tony Gunk

Jul 12, 2017
NE Iowa
Not worried until I see some study done that shows lefties have worse cognitive function. As others have said, I'm sure baseball loving lefties plays a role, as will lazy coaches at lower levels.

Side note, for some reason I feel like lefty basketball players are aesthetically more pleasing. Don't know why.
You mean like this?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Will have to reverse the QB throwing going left or right thingie when watching. Defense guys "Don't let him run left, no, I mean right!"

There is a lot of annoying things about playing lefties in all sports, especially with muscle memory.

I say this as a lefty too.

My main sport was tennis then basketball (not that I was outstanding) but it was annoying as **** playing another lefty. Probably different for those high caliber athletes though.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think Matt lienart was a lefty as well. I don’t know the math, but what is it, 95% of people are right handed? That’s an educated guess is probably off but probably not by much. A lot of lefties get into pitching. I could see a lefty effecting the defense more than the WR’s he practices with everyday. It’s also easier to find a RT than is is LT, so as long as we have a RT, LT is still important but not protect the blind side against the best pass rusher important.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It’s also easier to find a RT than is is LT, so as long as we have a RT, LT is still important but not protect the blind side against the best pass rusher important.
Umm…with left handed QB’s, generally they flip the LT to the right side—as the blindside pass protector.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
Umm…with left handed QB’s, generally they flip the LT to the right side—as the blindside pass protector.
Would that mean Tyler Miller could be potentially flipping to the right side?

• Winner
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I enjoy watching a lefthanded quarterback throw/release a ball. Wasn't Fran Tarkenton and Kenny Stabler left handed. In a way it has to impact the defense more than a receiver on the team.
Stabler yes Tarkenton no smh

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
I love left handed people. My wife and several of my family members.

Not to stoke the bad juju fires, but…
Historically, the left side, and subsequently left-handedness, was considered negative in many cultures. The Latin word sinistra originally meant "left" but took on meanings of "evil" or "unlucky" by the Classical Latin era, and this double meaning survives in European derivatives of Latin, and in the English word "sinister".

It’s interesting, but Dekkers is going to be awesome, no matter his strong hand! Great athletes are just that, great.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It sound ridiculous at first glance, but I think it’s something that’s legit to bring up. I think it largely goes unspoken and it’s understandable why.

But the reality is that there’s been very few leftys in recent years that have thrived at the collegiate or pro level. Tua is the only example I can think of from recent years. Otherwise you have to go back to your Tim Tebow’s of the world. (in which case, he almost shouldn’t count due to his unique style)

Does anyone else get stuck on thinking about this? I understand it definitely is unfair to the kid to judge him based on that trait. But there are significant factors in having a left handed QB you have to adjust for. The spin of the ball is the opposite, the entire offensive line essentially flips.

Personally I am pretty excited for Dekkers this year. But I can’t help but feel slightly uneasy about him, just due to previous track record on lefty’s in general. It almost feels like it bleeds into how I evaluate him as a player.

Yeah I think we should bench him before he starts a game this season. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron