Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I don't get the hate from ISU for him at all.

Yeah, most of what I know about him was some minor arguing with Hawk fans on Rivals a few years ago who were dissing the recruiting of his son's. Never a good look for the parental units to go on fan forums but he was proven to be right and the dissing fans wrong.

Edit: Guess he might still be at that some but as an ISU fan it's not something that flips a switch with me.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Which makes a lot of sense. IF he decides to come back to college, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an out of the blue announcement that he's transferring to Iowa State.
So I have never seen this kid play. Is he legit Big12 caliber? There's lots of talk, but "eye test"?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Yeah, most of what I know about him was some minor arguing with Hawk fans on Rivals a few years ago who were dissing the recruiting of his son's. Never a good look for the parental units to go on fan forums but he was proven to be right and the dissing fans wrong.

Edit: Guess he might still be at that some but as an ISU fan it's not something that flips a switch with me.

I remember a few posts on here about people that sat next or near him at games and they mentioned how poorly he conducted himself. HR had some posts about him to that saw him at his youngest daughter's games in IC and how he acted also. Fran came down from the stands during one of Pmac's games and started ripping on him from a video someone posted.

Parent's just need to be a parent and not a screaming ahole at games At all levels from youth to college. Dealt with a few of these off-the-wall types during my coaching days in youth baseball, basketball and football.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Spot on. I appreciated his effort as he always played hard, but he wasn't a good shooter or finisher at the rim and was careless with the ball. His defense was also overrated to me. I thought he gambled a lot and picked up bad fouls 25 feet from the basket too often. I would have been fine with him coming back, but not mad he left either.
He would pick up the foul on a bad reach or body check and then do the whole "Who, ME?" "No way ref!" thing that Fran ingrains in his players. He was a big time whiner for such a little impact player.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
NTM the attention ***** aspect. The only BB parent I remember posting here is Monte’s mom and she was completely on the other end of the spectrum from KM.

Safe to say, Ashley’s father is not tech savy?

• Haha
Reactions: Acylum

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So I have never seen this kid play. Is he legit Big12 caliber? There's lots of talk, but "eye test"?
He has started every game since he arrived at UNI averaging 17.9 points on his career. He is a career .378 shooter from 3 with 266 makes in essentially 3 years of play and .900 from the charity stripe. Also worth noting that his rebounds and steals are up slightly this last year while his turnovers are down.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CascadeClone

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Based on what I've seen, yes.

Pros - Attacks the rim well, can draw fouls, can shoot all over the court, and is a good free throw shooter
Cons - Can get cold and also tends to play some extreme hero ball at times.

If he would or would not translate to the Big 12 isn't really something I'm as knowledgeable to comment on but on what I've seen I would say that if we can get him we should absolutely do it

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Oh yes. Coming out of HS he held an offer from Virginia so even then he was looked at as high major. He can pull from pretty much anywhere on the court and his shot is a bit unorthodox in that you can't block it, which gives him a really good ability to shoot over taller defenders. His basketball IQ is very high as well. Has shot 38% from 3 and was essentially the primary ball handler at UNI all of his years. Averaged 17.9 ppg in his career there. 19 last year and 22 the year prior. 2x Larry Bird POY in the MVC.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Oh yes. Coming out of HS he held an offer from Virginia so even then he was looked at as high major. He can pull from pretty much anywhere on the court and his shot is a bit unorthodox in that you can't block it, which gives him a really good ability to shoot over taller defenders. His basketball IQ is very high as well. Has shot 38% from 3 and was essentially the primary ball handler at UNI all of his years. Averaged 17.9 ppg in his career there. 19 last year and 22 the year prior. 2x Larry Bird POY in the MVC.
I would suggest throwing out his 2020 averages. He played a grand total of three games - too small of a sample size to be statistically relevant.

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I would suggest throwing out his 2020 averages. He played a grand total of three games - too small of a sample size to be statistically relevant.
You know I completely forgot about that. You're correct. Either way he averages around 17 ppg.

Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It is apparent to me from this video that he never misses. ;)

Turn the volume down a little bit. The audio level is really irregular. Keep in mind that these are sophomore highlights.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
As far as Jake leaving?

I don't think there was a job that he thought was a fit that came open this year. Heard that he was surprised Butler didn't come open and that he also thinks Northwestern could be a fit if that opens next year and those both make tons of sense to me.

NW is in the Big 10, and they aren't hiring a guy who hasn't made the NCAA's in 7 years.

Butler is an elite job at that level and the same goes for them.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I see what you mean. He starts his shot from behind his head and releases right above his head. Definitely makes a block tough when he is 6'4". Also results in quite a few 4 point play opportunities because it is pretty easy to foul him on that shot when contesting.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10