Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
If AJ Green comes to Iowa State there's a decent shot we'll be ranked / receiving votes to start next year.

Is this story heating up? I felt like it cooled a bit due to the idea that AJ needs to improve/demonstrate his skills with the ball in his hands...which isn't going to happen much at ISU with Hunter in control. I would love to see AJ in Ames next year but does what he needs/wants fit in Ames?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Is this story heating up? I felt like it cooled a bit due to the idea that AJ needs to improve/demonstrate his skills with the ball in his hands...which isn't going to happen much at ISU with Hunter in control. I would love to see AJ in Ames next year but does what he needs/wants fit in Ames?
Does he still feel the need to play for his dad? If so, that could be a huge reason why he would come to Ames.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
AJ isn’t a point guard at the next level so it shouldn’t be an issue if he came here

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Tweets like this rub me the wrong way... I know it is a family decision, but the last part "That being said we have to keep their schedule flexible and not commit to anything for a while." Keep that stuff private. I have no issue with saying this is the last event for awhile.

Maybe Frank Garza has been talking to much to Kenyon

• Haha
Reactions: cycloner29

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
His story has cooled because right now there is no story. He's going to test the NBA waters, receive feedback, and then make his decision. Right now he hasn't even announced his name into the portal.

But I'd guess he's exactly what we're looking for from a pure scorer standpoint. He actually played a lot this year off the ball when Born was in and I think him and Tyrese would compliment one another a ton.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Cheering on your sons and celebrating their accomplishments is every dad's dream. I hope I'm as luck as Kenyon is with my son someday.

Bordering on being their PR team and over interreacting with the internet is a HORRIBLE look. Let the boys get their message out. If they are shy and don't want to do it. Let Keegan's agent or the University do the work for you.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and ScottyP

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
AJ isn’t a point guard at the next level so it shouldn’t be an issue if he came here

Agree...but he might be a guy that needs to prove he can handle those responsibilities in a pinch/part time to be more marketable. Again, I have no idea...thought I heard that if he was looking for a place to go it would likely be a place where he added to his skill set. Hopefully it is in Ames but not sure it is a slamdunk.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Does he still feel the need to play for his dad? If so, that could be a huge reason why he would come to Ames.
If he felt the need to play for his dad he would’ve come to Ames last year. There are definitely other things that are appealing to him about playing at ISU. Tyrese Hunter being one of them.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
6'1" guard who shoots 29% from 3, 35% from 2, and 65% from the line. Yuck.
Appears Fran is going to try and replace Joe T/bridge the gap to Dasonte Bowen. Bob Phinisee would be a downgrade from Joe T though.

Iowa's kind of in a peculiar spot in the portal with CMc coming back. Three spots to fill but not sure they can really sell a starting spot at any position other than maybe post.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
His story has cooled because right now there is no story. He's going to test the NBA waters, receive feedback, and then make his decision. Right now he hasn't even announced his name into the portal.

But I'd guess he's exactly what we're looking for from a pure scorer standpoint. He actually played a lot this year off the ball when Born was in and I think him and Tyrese would compliment one another a ton.
There isn't going to be a formal portal announcement would be my guess.

He's already said he's doing the NBA process and retaining eligibility. The announcement (which won't be until sometime in May) will be either NBA/Pro, UNI or Iowa State. He's a kid that hates drama and doesn't love drawing attention to himself. It'll be super low key no matter what he decides and I don't think anybody has any real idea what he's going to decide at this point.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There isn't going to be a formal portal announcement would be my guess.

He's already said he's doing the NBA process and retaining eligibility. The announcement (which won't be until sometime in May) will be either NBA/Pro, UNI or Iowa State. He's a kid that hates drama and doesn't love drawing attention to himself. It'll be super low key no matter what he decides and I don't think anybody has any real idea what he's going to decide at this point.
Which makes a lot of sense. IF he decides to come back to college, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an out of the blue announcement that he's transferring to Iowa State.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Which makes a lot of sense. IF he decides to come back to college, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an out of the blue announcement that he's transferring to Iowa State.
It's UNI or Iowa State. I don't think there's any way that he entertains going anywhere else.

End up the 2nd all time leading scorer in a league that's been around for 115 years on a team you've loved since you were 3 or play for your dad with a PG that compliments your game really, really well.

There's not a bad choice either way.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's UNI or Iowa State. I don't think there's any way that he entertains going anywhere else.

End up the 2nd all time leading scorer in a league that's been around for 115 years on a team you've loved since you were 3 or play for your dad with a PG that compliments your game really, really well.

There's not a bad choice either way.
Have the waters cooled with Jake or is that still a little dicey/could see him move on?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Have the waters cooled with Jake or is that still a little dicey/could see him move on?
As far as Jake leaving?

I don't think there was a job that he thought was a fit that came open this year. Heard that he was surprised Butler didn't come open and that he also thinks Northwestern could be a fit if that opens next year and those both make tons of sense to me.

He and Harris aren't even on speaking terms at this point and Jake is out doing his own fundraising for a practice facility and McLeod Center upgrades. Harris didn't go to StL for the Valley Tournament or travel with them to either NIT game. It's ugly.