AP Game Story

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Ames, Iowa — Craig Brackins scored 22 points and grabbed 16 rebounds as the Iowa State men's basketball team beat Houston Baptist 64-56 Tuesday night at Hilton Coliseum for its fourth straight win.

Diante Garret added 12 points for the Cyclones (11-4), who recorded their most victories before starting Big 12 Conference play since 2000-01.

Iowa State led by just two at halftime before opening the second half on a 15-6 run.

Brackins scored eight quick points and Lucca Staiger hit a 3 to make it 39-28 with 14:17 left.

Carlos Boozer's 3 pushed the Cyclones lead to 46-32 midway through the second half.

The Huskies put a late scare into Iowa State, cutting their deficit to 54-46 with 2:49 left, but the Cyclones responded with 10 straight free throws.

Baron Sauls had 22 points for Houston Baptist (1-15), which was coming off its first win of the season.

The Cyclones open their conference season on Saturday at No. 7 Texas, their first ranked opponent of the season.

I really thought that Carlos Boozer would dominate Houston Baptist more.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Unfortunately, rebounding R Not Us

They had 22 points in the first half, 14 of which were second chance points

The second chance points is inexcusable, but getting outrebounded wasn't because we didn't have position. We had inside position a lot, but their shots came off ridiculously hard and it was a lot of long boards.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
The second chance points is inexcusable, but getting outrebounded wasn't because we didn't have position. We had inside position a lot, but their shots came off ridiculously hard and it was a lot of long boards.

I agree, they were horrendous shooters. We were moderately better tonight-still not great. I thought we looked lost on offense at times. The players don't know where their teammates are going to be on the floor. We had far too many poor passes that either shouldn't have been made, were early, late, etc.

Hopefully time will cure that-unfortunately the Big XII season is here and time is up

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
The team looked lazy and uncommitted to me. I chalk it up to them knowing the team they were playing was 1-14 and just expecting a win without trying.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
The team looked lazy and uncommitted to me. I chalk it up to them knowing the team they were playing was 1-14 and just expecting a win without trying.

Last night watching the game I thought, maybe the team is bored with playing these type of teams. They just looked uninspired. I mean, it is always fun to play basketball, but it has to be hard to get psyched up for lightweight after lightweight. And I am sure the lightweights get pumped to play ISU as they might think it is their possible best shot at beating a school in a top conference.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Last night watching the game I thought, maybe the team is bored with playing these type of teams. They just looked uninspired. I mean, it is always fun to play basketball, but it has to be hard to get psyched up for lightweight after lightweight. And I am sure the lightweights get pumped to play ISU as they might think it is their possible best shot at beating a school in a top conference.

I could see this happening.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
The most victories since 00-01. Why do I still dread the BXII conference play? We have had some good games and I hope the idea that they were looking past them is the case. Saturday will be a good gauge as to where we are at. The team has played well in most games and appears to rise to the opponents.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

I can agree with that. ISU has a long run of playing down to teams. This has frustrated me for it seems like an eternity.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I can agree with that. ISU has a long run of playing down to teams. This has frustrated me for it seems like an eternity.

It's all about not getting too high or too low right now. I think Saturday will be a lot of fun.

We have a week for people to talk about how bad we are, how badly we're going to get killed, and everything else. Then we can come out at beat Texas!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
It's all about not getting too high or too low right now. I think Saturday will be a lot of fun.

We have a week for people to talk about how bad we are, how badly we're going to get killed, and everything else. Then we can come out at beat Texas!

I think we can run with them no matter how the downers put it. As long as they take their time and dont just run and chuck, we should be good.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

You'd think after getting beat by SDSU (and even Hawaii), our guys could get motivated to play anyone.

necromancy

Sep 11, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
You'd think after getting beat by SDSU (and even Hawaii), our guys could get motivated to play anyone.
No kidding. Plus, you'd think they'd want a blowout to reward the bench players with some well deserved PT. There's no excuse for such a weak win against a pathetic team. I think we're going to receive a lot of drubbings in league play.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
There will be a good group of Clone fans from the Alumni Association in attendance on Saturday. Longhorns are beatable.