Grunge vs. Hair Metal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Given the choice, which do you prefer?

• GRUNGE!

Votes: 122 70.1%
  • Hair Metal!

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • I need another choice

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Hey, just look at my half-dressed avatar sweetie!

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Their glam stuff kinda took a little of their aura away from them. They went with the power ballad like a lot of bands did back in the 80's. Just not what one is used to hearing from Kiss even though the did have Beth.

Yep...and...wasn't that track written by Michael Bolton???????

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I like that Motley Crue came so hard. PJ are arguably one of the top two or three grunge bands, but Motley Crue isn't likely even in the top ten hair metal bands. (I prefer grunge, but listen to hair metal nostalgically.) They had the most excess, for certain (is anyone watching the Pamela and Tommy Lee thing?), but their music wasn't as good as others.

If I had to pick the best hair metal bands, it would look more like:

Scorpions
Cinderella
Guns n' Roses
RATT

MC is undoubtedly in the top 10 hair bands and this isn't even close to debatable. I'd argue they had two albums that were better than anything all but 3-4 bands put out.

1. GNR
2. MC
3. Poison

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I like that Motley Crue came so hard. PJ are arguably one of the top two or three grunge bands, but Motley Crue isn't likely even in the top ten hair metal bands. (I prefer grunge, but listen to hair metal nostalgically.) They had the most excess, for certain (is anyone watching the Pamela and Tommy Lee thing?), but their music wasn't as good as others.

If I had to pick the best hair metal bands, it would look more like:

Scorpions
Cinderella
Guns n' Roses
RATT

I consider Scorpions pre-hair. And the fact they were European made them a little different both musically and in their schtick.hair metal is an American phenomenon, just like grunge. Sure there are euro copies, but they don’t count imo.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This doesn’t solve the in-thread debate, and I don't claim it's a definitive analysis, but might be of interest to CF music-wonks.

Randomly encountered a few weeks ago, "Trash Theory" channel on YouTube.

Separate segments explore of roots of heavy metal and grunge. (Each shares a line of influence, as you might expect)

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
MC is undoubtedly in the top 10 hair bands and this isn't even close to debatable. I'd argue they had two albums that were better than anything all but 3-4 bands put out.

1. GNR
2. MC
3. Poison
Poison and Motley Crue aren't even close to bands like Queensryche and Faith No More.

• Disagree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I consider Scorpions pre-hair. And the fact they were European made them a little different both musically and in their schtick.hair metal is an American phenomenon, just like grunge. Sure there are euro copies, but they don’t count imo.

“Rock You Like a Hurricane” came out in 84, but “Wind of Change” came out in 90. They encompassed the breadth of the hair band years. While Americans may have started the movement, I don’t think many of the critics who do “best of hair metal” lists agree with you after taking a quick Google. Europe was from Sweden, Lita Ford was born in England. Scorpions are apparently pretty widely considered a top five glam metal act.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I really think Mike Einziger of Incubus doesn't get enough credit. One of best of that generation imo. Dude had a jazz and funk background and it showed. Incubus was one of the only bands I have ever seen live that sounded just like their album.
Every time I hear an Incubus song I ask myself why I didn't listen to them a lot more.

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Yes! our beatles. So good, but nevermind.
This doesn’t solve the in-thread debate, and I don't claim it's a definitive analysis, but might be of interest to CF music-wonks.

Randomly encountered a few weeks ago, "Trash Theory" channel on YouTube.

Separate segments explore of roots of heavy metal and grunge. (Each shares a line of influence, as you might expect)

There was a band in the late '60's: Blue Cheer, I think from around the San Fran area. Obscure but played a super heavy phsychedelia that definitely influenced what became heavy metal.

They literally lined up 8 or so Marshall Major amps on stage when playing live and just kicked 'em over when they fried from overheating. Then hooked up another and continued.

If you have a little time look them up. The stories of how loud they played are insane...

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Both are good. I'm not sure why we have to choose.

Nirvana unplugged is the best grunge album of all time though. Where Did You Sleep Last Night is just crushing.
Alice In Chains unplugged belongs in the conversation IMO.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Their glam stuff kinda took a little of their aura away from them. They went with the power ballad like a lot of bands did back in the 80's. Just not what one is used to hearing from Kiss even though the did have Beth.

Absolutely love this song and yes, Michael Boltonton was involved. (He's the one that sucks!)

Is it because of Grunge we ended up with Emo?

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
The best grunge was unplugged
Both are good. I'm not sure why we have to choose.

Nirvana unplugged is the best grunge album of all time though. Where Did You Sleep Last Night is just crushing.
Completely agree. When MTV issued the challenge for the music industry to come out from behind its shroud of electronic wizardry, Nirvana was among the first to answer the call. Here is an unpliugged playlist that starts off with a couple of Nirvana favorites. I don't know the exact date of the recording, but it couldn't have been very long until Cobain made his exit from this earth. In retrospect, between Curt's Kashmir sweater, and the copious white lillies gtracing the stage, it is like viewing a scene from Rock 'n Roll heaven: