Jordan Dykstra

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Anybody know how JD is doing this year? I'm pretty excited to get him here although I've heard he isn't as good as advertised.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I don't know exactly how he is doing but I believe his team, Rock Valley, is number 1 team in 1A right now. I don't think they have lost a game. Heemstra has been playing really well for his team too. He also goes 6'9".

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
He's ranked by Rivals as the 106th best player in his class. I'm sure he can hold his own.:wink:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
DID WE OFFER THE WRONG KID?!?!

It appears as if Heemstra is scoring more, rebounding more, passing more. Am I missing something

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
DID WE OFFER THE WRONG KID?!?!

It appears as if Heemstra is scoring more, rebounding more, passing more. Am I missing something

It is a little odd that Heemstra is putting up better numbers than Jordan. Also, Heemstra isn't even listed in the Rivals database. Could be one of those kids that just explodes out of no where. Have to watch him as well.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Yes, that would explain the myriad of offers that Heemstra has.:jimlad:

CYnI

Mar 6, 2008
I see JD Play. I see Heemstra play.
JD has excellent court presence, handles the ball, scores more from the 4 spot than he has the last 2 years. Remember, he is a junior, as is Heemstra. RV could use JD as a 5 and increase his numbers, but he is playing where I believe GMAC wants him to play.
Heemstra can play. I believe he will put up bigger numbers than JD, because he plays PG, SG, SF, and handles the ball alot, and is aggressive.
One person's opinion. JD will not bring it until he has been at ISU for at least 2 years, because he will need strength and size development.
The word around NW IA is that Heemstra is the better player. I see that as a response as to how RV uses both players, not necessarily fact.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
As I have noted before...this is the issue you will run into with offering to guys that are so young...you just do not know how they will develop.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
JD actually is developing very well. He does need to get stronger, but he has very good basketball skills. Heemstra scores more because he's often forced to play PG for Rock Valley since they don't have any other guards that can really bring the ball up the court.

bwalinga11

Dec 7, 2007
I go to Unity Christian. 20 minutes away from Rock Valley.. We played Rock Valley first game of the season and lost... Heemstra and Dykstra both look good... I think Dykstra will be a good player, I dont know if he can play D-1 better than Heemstra could

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I go to Unity Christian. 20 minutes away from Rock Valley.. We played Rock Valley first game of the season and lost... Heemstra and Dykstra both look good... I think Dykstra will be a good player, I dont know if he can play D-1 better than Heemstra could

Does Heemstra play AAU? I think these HS games, particularly at the 1A level aren't a real good indicator of how well guys play. I know McD has asked that Dykstra work on certain parts of his game during this season. How do we know that Dykstra isn't working on aspects at the expense of his own scoring, etc. Maybe he is doing a lot to help his team win without benefiting his own numbers.

I really don't think it is fair to already be bagging on the kid when he is a Jr. in HS. If he hasn't shown any promise after his Sophmore season at ISU, bag away.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Unless You've Seen a Kid Play

Stats in a HS box score mean nothing.

There are tons of kids who can score 25+ppg in HS, but couldn't sniff the court at a BCS school. Coaches like GMAC are looking at skills that project at the college level when a kid will be playing against other kids 6'9" and the game is played above the rim.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Re: Unless You've Seen a Kid Play

Stats in a HS box score mean nothing.

There are tons of kids who can score 25+ppg in HS, but couldn't sniff the court at a BCS school. Coaches like GMAC are looking at skills that project at the college level when a kid will be playing against other kids 6'9" and the game is played above the rim.

Unfortunately I remember this being Brock Jacobson. Torched us in high school and just never amounted to much here because his body wouldn't let him, and, well, he just wasn't quite cut for the Big XII.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Re: Unless You've Seen a Kid Play

Unfortunately I remember this being Brock Jacobson. Torched us in high school and just never amounted to much here because his body wouldn't let him, and, well, he just wasn't quite cut for the Big XII.

That's why he was a walk-on.