Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Purdue gets upset all the time early in the tourney. They always have great post players but you need solid guard play to make a run. The one year they almost got farther in the tournament was when Carson Edwards played out of his mind.

Purdue always fields a very solid team. They have a good roster this year with two very good bigs, a very good small forward and a sharp shooter. If they get solid PG play, which remains to be seen, they can go a long ways.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I find Francon as hilarious as the next guy. But what's even more hilarious is the segment of our fans who don't think getting on the refs like Fran does buys your team some cheap calls in your favor. It absolutely does, and it's really not debatable.

Can you cross over into being too extreme with it? Also yes. Both can be true.

I don't think Fran does a good job of working the officials. I goes from 0 to 11 too quickly. He needs to work up to his antics a little more slowly like Izzo and others do effectively.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This has been the Fran method.

You know when a really big, strong guy gets hacked, but he doesn't get any calls? Iowa is like the exact opposite of that. Get a bunch of guys with arms that would've embarrassed my daughter when she was 12, and be so weak and pathetic while you flail your frail little stick arms around with no intention of making a basketball play that officials get fooled into calling fouls.

Honestly it drives me crazy. My least favorite hawkeye player of all time is Aaron White. Absolutely couldn't stand watching him play. His entire game was just trying to draw fouls. Probably a perfectly nice dude just an embarrassing method of playing the game.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't think Fran does a good job of working the officials. I goes from 0 to 11 too quickly. He needs to work up to his antics a little more slowly like Izzo and others do effectively.
I dunno if it's a result of him working officials or not, but they do get a lot of fouls called for a team that really doesn't have anyone good at attacking the paint outside of the Murrays. But even Jorbo gets to the foul line more than any player on ISU

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
I agree with that. It's more a comment on ISU. We have been on the losing end of calls more often than not and it seems to be our policy to not work the officials at all.

There's a significant number of vocal fans who want it to stay that way with no complaint.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I thought I read they were still fouling, pressing, and calling timeouts down 14 with 30 seconds or so left.

Every game it seems, they have no class to just take the loss and move on. After a point there is no shame in just taking the L play the game out and let it end.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I agree with that. It's more a comment on ISU. We have been on the losing end of calls more often than not and it seems to be our policy to not work the officials at all.

There's a significant number of vocal fans who want it to stay that way with no complaint.

Jamie does that for you after the game.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclones1969

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I dunno if it's a result of him working officials or not, but they do get a lot of fouls called for a team that really doesn't have anyone good at attacking the paint outside of the Murrays. But even Jorbo gets to the foul line more than any player on ISU
Last night was a nice example. K. Murray with a blatant shove in the back to get an offensive board. Puts everything he has behind his shoulder into the thinning hair dude from Purdue's chest and knocks him over. Gets an and one, and all Fran and his dork squad on the bench are all screaming for the flop warning.

I don't know if Fran's constant antics make it better or worse, but Iowa gets constant weak ass fouls called in their favor all the time. I still think it's just the anti-Shaq factor. He got no calls because he was strong. They get lots of calls because they are frail and weak. I'll never stop to marvel how a team of college aged men can have such scrawny arms that also lack definition.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
The guys who defend Connor playing baffle me. Okay, so he doesn't suck. On what good team would he play even half as many minutes?

I could defend him when we had Garza, because even though you mock him for it, he was really good at feeding the post, which some players aren't good at. He also knew his role and didn't shoot much and played decent defense, decent rebounder for his size and was a good ball handler. This year's team, he has no role.

• Funny
  • Dumb
Reactions: Cytown12 and Lineup

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The guys who defend Connor playing baffle me. Okay, so he doesn't suck. On what good team would he play even half as many minutes?
Maybe a Missouri St (Valley) type of team. He's been left open by defenses for years, he is zero threat offensively.
His first '22 comp on Kenpom is actually '21 Connor McCaffery, so it shows you that the passing to Garza thing is over rated.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

woof

" Is one of the criteria to be recruited to Iowa that you have 0 ball handling skills, and play out of control the whole freaking time? "

Actually, looking at guys like Aaron White and Flans' patented FAFD (flailing arms falling down) offense, I would guess that yes, that IS a recruiting criteria.

Reactions: GMackey32