Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Yeah that’s a travel and it isn’t close. And the point was to stop allowing the ridiculous gather interpretation that was letting guys travel twice over without being called.

That is a clear travel even in the period when the ridiculous fantasy “gather” interpretation was accepted for a few years.
They are attempting to get the game closer to NBA style rules and thus will let a LOT more go as far as travel, etc.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It's crazy how Iowa's minutes get handed out, how does JorBo get 30 minutes? I'm guessing they don't think Kris Murray can guard 2's so they need another guard starting but seems like Ulis or Perkins can give you the 6 points, 2 boards, 1 assist and 3 turnovers that Jorbo brings while also giving you a bit more athleticism. Those two aren't amazing but Jorbo got as many minutes as they did combined and their box score line looks about the same as his.

I have watched about 50 minutes of Iowa bball this year, but I think they would be better with more Perkins and Ulis and a lot less CMac and Jorbo. You get a ton more flexibility on offense (maybe not better, but more options) and now have 5 guys who can play defense instead of 3.

I guess Fran treats turnovers same as Kirk - fumble once and you just don't see the field (court) anymore.

Reactions: heitclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah that’s a travel and it isn’t close. And the point was to stop allowing the ridiculous gather interpretation that was letting guys travel twice over without being called.

That is a clear travel even in the period when the ridiculous fantasy “gather” interpretation was accepted for a few years.

It's not a travel. When he takes his first step back he hadn't gathered the ball yet. Once he gathered, he has two steps just like a layup. Yes, it looks awkward but no it's not a travel.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It's not a travel. When he takes his first step back he hadn't gathered the ball yet. Once he gathered, he has two steps just like a layup. Yes, it looks awkward but no it's not a travel.
No. It’s gather step, then one step back. He then can either take one step back and go up, or jump stop and go up. He does both. You can’t do that. That’s allowing to define a really long gather. Under the less generous definition of the gather, he takes gather step back, two more, then jump stop and goes up.
Maybe we need @brentblum to weigh in.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They are attempting to get the game closer to NBA style rules and thus will let a LOT more go as far as travel, etc.
They implemented the gather step two years ago. In the NBA they have been trying to get tighter on calling a gather step more realistically.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
They think if they beat #98 Penn State Sunday, they are sitting good for a NCAA bid. Maybe they are, but I still don't see any good wins on their slate. If Indiana slides just a couple of spots, they have zero top 40 wins (home or away). IF they beat Michigan at CHA, they would have two top 60 wins (both in the 40s and both at home).

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Iowa's resume is not likely to get them in. But just having Murray will. Add in the perennially over-hyped B1G, there you go!
That is kind of what my thoughts are. Star power will get them in unless they get some Q1 wins somehow and make it on merit. Star power matters a lot to the selection committee. In 17-18, a pretty average OU team went dancing because they had Trae Young. This Iowa team is pretty similar except Keegan Murray is no Trae Young. Still a star though, who will be averaging north of 20 ppg and probably a 1st or 2nd team AA. If they continue to struggle against Q1 teams, but take care of the rest and go 20-10 they will probably make it in the Last 4 In would be my current prediction. Keegan gets a guaranteed game in front of the March Madness audience and an outside chance at 2.

Reactions: Antihawk240

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

giphy.gif

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
That is kind of what my thoughts are. Star power will get them in unless they get some Q1 wins somehow and make it on merit. Star power matters a lot to the selection committee. In 17-18, a pretty average OU team went dancing because they had Trae Young. This Iowa team is pretty similar except Keegan Murray is no Trae Young. Still a star though, who will be averaging north of 20 ppg and probably a 1st or 2nd team AA. If they continue to struggle against Q1 teams, but take care of the rest and go 20-10 they will probably make it in the Last 4 In would be my current prediction. Keegan gets a guaranteed game in front of the March Madness audience and an outside chance at 2.

This pains me and hurts me to say.....but Iowa should be entitled to make the tournament if they can at least make a non BS argument. They have (at this point at least) 1 of the best basketball players in the nation. If the selection committee adds Iowa they will at least be able to showcase Keegan and put him on a platform to help his draft stock. I don't like Iowa. I think Bobo is a twerp who is ruining their brand. Fran is pathetic. While I think Iowa should be penciled in a slot, I would deep inside chuckle if they didn't. But I can't wish ill will on Keegan because he is associated with that circus.

It reminds Cyinthenorth of Trae Young. It reminds me of Steph Curry. No one had a clue who that dude was until he put Davidson on a national platform. Put Keegan in the tournament and let him play. There are far worse teams that have been entitled.

Now if Iowa gets bounced and left out, Keegan will go on to the NBA and I just hope he tells his brother, get out of there while you still have a chance.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
This pains me and hurts me to say.....but Iowa should be entitled to make the tournament if they can at least make a non BS argument. They have (at this point at least) 1 of the best basketball players in the nation. If the selection committee adds Iowa they will at least be able to showcase Keegan and put him on a platform to help his draft stock. I don't like Iowa. I think Bobo is a twerp who is ruining their brand. Fran is pathetic. While I think Iowa should be penciled in a slot, I would deep inside chuckle if they didn't. But I can't wish ill will on Keegan because he is associated with that circus.

It reminds Cyinthenorth of Trae Young. It reminds me of Steph Curry. No one had a clue who that dude was until he put Davidson on a national platform. Put Keegan in the tournament and let him play. There are far worse teams that have been entitled.

Now if Iowa gets bounced and left out, Keegan will go on to the NBA and I just hope he tells his brother, get out of there while you still have a chance.

Mount Rushmore

• Winner
Reactions: JP4CY