Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Lol no not like Bob. I do love him though for what he is to our team. The PG spot in particular, but I know that Bohannon and Connor were both at that position and Fran wasn't going to bring in a guy to take their minutes.
I think Bob would be a great fit at Iowa. Doin some dirty work down low.

Joe T could be a decent PG, I think he tries to hard and will lose the ball too much. He's got some dog in him but tough at this level for him too.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Most coaches don't have the security Fran does to take on projects over portal guys.

Genuine question, has Fran ever had a true transfer impact player? I can't think of one.
Uthoff but that fell into his lap. Evelyn was ok in his 7th man role at end of the year but that's not huge bar

• Useful
Reactions: RezClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think Bob would be a great fit at Iowa. Doin some dirty work down low.

Joe T could be a decent PG, I think he tries to hard and will lose the ball too much. He's got some dog in him but tough at this level for him too.
Yeah Bob wouldn't be a terrible piece. I'm talking about a guy like Brockerington, or Shayok. Guys that are bucket getters. But a scoring PG would help too.

Joe T is a weird one. I really do love his tenacity and he'll never be a guy where you question his hustle. His feel to the game is just all over the place at times and I think he gets a little ahead of himself due to his effort. I personally think and have said that he'd be a great backup PG to come in and pester the guards on the other team.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
NET ranking is important but definitely not only factor. Like others have said Iowa is 0-4 Quad 1...

Their best win so far this year is Indianna at home and Neutral site to a10-9 Utah st team.

That's it. They are 14-5 but 10-11 of those wins are vs god awful teams..

Only reason they are ranked where they are in the NET is bc of their offensive efficiency. Offensive possessions and points per possession are huge in the NET.

They changed the NET from 4 things to 2 things in 2020...

If I had to guess right now Iowa is prob 8/9 game...and the 9 seed.

If Iowa does stay in that 8/9 game they aint advancing if the 1 seed is Auburn, Baylor or Arizona.. Those teams D would shred Iowa offense..

Somehow I could see Iowa lucking out and getting Kansas which I think Iowa would match up fairly well with...KU isn't a great defensive team..ok but not great.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Who are all of those? Iowa and Fran's problem isn't athleticism, it's defensive effort.
I would direct you to the previous 786 pages of this tread unless you were you joking. There's literally hundreds of pages in this thread and there have been numerous posts about Iowa's lack of athleticism.

Defensive effort is problem number one but their lack of ideal athleticism plays into that. Guys like Garza, Bohannon, etc. are limited in how effective they can be defensively.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
NET ranking is important but definitely not only factor. Like others have said Iowa is 0-4 Quad 1...

Their best win so far this year is Indianna at home and Neutral site to a10-9 Utah st team.

That's it. They are 14-5 but 10-11 of those wins are vs god awful teams..

Only reason they are ranked where they are in the NET is bc of their offensive efficiency. Offensive possessions and points per possession are huge in the NET.

They changed the NET from 4 things to 2 things in 2020...

If I had to guess right now Iowa is prob 8/9 game...and the 9 seed.

If Iowa does stay in that 8/9 game they aint advancing if the 1 seed is Auburn, Baylor or Arizona.. Those teams D would shred Iowa offense..

Somehow I could see Iowa lucking out and getting Kansas which I think Iowa would match up fairly well with...KU isn't a great defensive team..ok but not great.
Keegan vs. Agbaji would be a fun matchup

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I would direct you to the previous 786 pages of this tread unless you were you joking. There's literally hundreds of pages in this thread and there have been numerous posts about Iowa's lack of athleticism.

Defensive effort is problem number one but their lack of ideal athleticism plays into that. Guys like Garza, Bohannon, etc. are limited in how effective they can be defensively.
I think sometimes people equate being long to being athletic. And at the same time, just because you have athleticism doesn't mean you know how to use it. Terrence Lewis for Iowa State was tremendously athletic but had zero clue what was going on on the basketball court.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
I think sometimes people equate being long to being athletic. And at the same time, just because you have athleticism doesn't mean you know how to use it. Terrence Lewis for Iowa State was tremendously athletic but had zero clue what was going on on the basketball court.
Patrick is exhibit A of this. He's long and actually pretty athletic (can dunk effortlessly) but he just looks so awkward most of the time and can't beat his defender off the dribble.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

The defensive effectiveness: did you ever see Frank doing defensive footwork with Luka or was it mostly 25' shots?

And also something that was posted years ago is valid today? Weren't the Murray's in high school then? They seen athletic to me.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Patrick is exhibit A of this. He's long and actually pretty athletic (can dunk effortlessly) but he just looks so awkward most of the time and can't beat his defender off the dribble.
Patrick needs to add weight to his frame and none of us know if he's able to do that.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I've never understood why Fran barely utilizes the portal. I know he hates it, but I think he could've had even better teams with a couple pieces added.
Harder to manipulate a 20-22 y.o. who can see him for what he is as opposed to the wet behind the ears 16 year old who grew up wanting to play ball for the Hawks.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'd agree and also there's a difference between being athletic and being explosive. Like I wouldn't say Patrick is explosive. It's all semantics. Either way, you can be the longest most athletic guy out there and if your defensive scheme or effort isn't there, you're going to get beat by good opponents. And to that, if you have 4 guys that are all great on defense, all it takes is one guy to screw up a rotation a few times and the game could be getting out of hand. Slippery slippery slope.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Harder to manipulate a 20-22 y.o. who can see him for what he is as opposed to the wet behind the ears 16 year old who grew up wanting to play ball for the Hawks.
If I was in the portal I'd question if I were to get the minutes I'd deserve at Iowa. Nepotism had led to Connor getting way, way more minutes than he's deserved.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yeah Bob wouldn't be a terrible piece. I'm talking about a guy like Brockerington, or Shayok. Guys that are bucket getters. But a scoring PG would help too.

Joe T is a weird one. I really do love his tenacity and he'll never be a guy where you question his hustle. His feel to the game is just all over the place at times and I think he gets a little ahead of himself due to his effort. I personally think and have said that he'd be a great backup PG to come in and pester the guards on the other team.
Hard pass on Joe. Not really a shooter and plays careless at times. He'd be a decent backup option...for a mid major IMO. I'd rather have Tre Jackson.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If I was in the portal I'd question if I were to get the minutes I'd deserve at Iowa. Nepotism had led to Connor getting way, way more minutes than he's deserved.
Connor would find it extremely hard to get minutes for a P5 school anywhere in the country.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Hard pass on Joe. Not really a shooter and plays careless at times. He'd be a decent backup option...for a mid major IMO. I'd rather have Tre Jackson.
I'd rather have Tre too, I just think Joe could be a nice piece to have coming off the bench. He'd no doubt start for a lot of mid-majors.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
That's a good point too. Most guys looking for more PT than where they are transferring from would be hard pressed to find it in Iowa 11-12 man rotation.