Facilities and financial update from Jamie Pollard

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That is the issue.

Season tickets should equal some donation of some amount.

Just a clarification, are you saying you should have to donate to be eligible for season tickets, or that being a season ticket owner should count for something?

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
If you buy season tickets then you need to join the NCC for some minimum amount , say $100.

So basically just raise non donor seat price from $400 to $500? Could even just raise it $50 since each new 'donor' in this group would likely buy at least 2.

What about hillside? The whole point of these cheaper options is to get people in and hooked who wouldn't be able to afford the donor seats. Requiring a donation for those would hurt more than it helps IMO.

Now when we get to be a perennial top 10 power, of course!

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
So basically just raise non donor seat price from $400 to $500? Could even just raise it $50 since each new 'donor' in this group would likely buy at least 2.

What about hillside? The whole point of these cheaper options is to get people in and hooked who wouldn't be able to afford the donor seats. Requiring a donation for those would hurt more than it helps IMO.

Now when we get to be a perennial top 10 power, of course!
There are lots of ways to solve the problem. The bottom line is we are at the bottom of giving.

I read that people making excuses that they haven't asked me properly or they have asked too much money.

If you want to give, please give. Quit making excuses.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
There are lots of ways to solve the problem. The bottom line is we are at the bottom of giving.

I read that people making excuses that they haven't asked me properly or they have asked too much money.

If you want to give, please give. Quit making excuses.

I agree there are lots of ways, just didn't agree with that one suggestion. We're moving from States to Cardinal this year, so doing our part!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The "Season at Stephens" generally 10-12 shows including 1-2 Broadway level productions. We've gone to phantom, cats, lion king, etc... The season also has 2-3 high level dance productions. We went to Russian national ballet production of Swan Lake right before covid lockdown. Then there are about half dozen other good sized shows each year. Tickets can run $25 for students up to $100+ per seat for the better shows. A season pass had different tiers and requires giving levels similar to cyclone club and fb or bb tickets.

We tried to attend at least one a year before Covid. I don't know that the shows are all traveling at this time and I don't think "season" has returned
I didn't realize that VenuWorks was still running Stephens even after the Athletic Department took over. It is good that the AD learned from their mistake when they took over Hilton and just sat on the building like an old fat hen. It is an athletics first facility but other events do a lot to help pay the bills. VenueWorks has and will continue to do a great job with small and mid level performing arts venues - making them profitable or at least solvent and keeping the entertainment flowing.

Reactions: Ms3r4ISU

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If you buy season tickets then you need to join the NCC for some minimum amount , say $100.

I think you do turn off some entry-level types with a mandatory "donation" that doesn't feel like the ticket price.

As an alternative, you could reduce the number of season tickets available to non-donors. Manufacture some scarcity. "Sorry the 5,000 season tix for non-NCC members are sold out, but if you join the NCC even at our lowest level, then there ARE tickets available at the same price but in a slightly better location".

I know that is kind of semantics, but I think it accomplished the same goal and would be better received. You create the perception of scarcity, and the perception of a benefit for your donation with improved seats (even if it is only 2 rows better in reality). Both those things create value in the mind of the buyer. Even at the same ticket price. You'd be not only getting a donation, but a new NCC member, and those are sticky revenue sources.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy and Tailg8er

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I didn't realize that VenuWorks was still running Stephens even after the Athletic Department took over. It is good that the AD learned from their mistake when they took over Hilton and just sat on the building like an old fat hen. It is an athletics first facility but other events do a lot to help pay the bills. VenueWorks has and will continue to do a great job with small and mid level performing arts venues - making them profitable or at least solvent and keeping the entertainment flowing.
Yeah, and the entertainment industry typically books shows/tours in bundle....meaning, Venueworks can negotiate x shows for x facilities or work with promoters on multiple shows in their agency.

I had heard that was how we used to get so many great shows at Hilton....we were part of a larger mgt company that would get Hilton on the tours.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I very much trust in Jaime Pollard!

My $0.02 is that the cyclone club donation levels shouldn't look like a bell curve, but more like a pyramid. There should be more Cardinals than Golds, more States than Cardinals, etc. Only 450 century club members? Feels like the low hanging fruit is getting the casual, non-season ticket holder to donate at all.

Reactions: cytor

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Those parking lots are a part of the ISC.

I guess technically. I've always thought of ISC as Hilton, Scheman, CY, Fisher. The Alumni Center and JTS are part of ISC, but we don't really worry about them flooding. The new SPC and the IPF have zero concerns due to their elevation unless it is just from water running off the hill. I'll stand by my opinion that if you are building halfway between Hilton and JTS and you build up 2-3 feet, flooding for those particular buildings is not much of a threat unless they have basements.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I very much trust in Jaime Pollard!

My $0.02 is that the cyclone club donation levels shouldn't look like a bell curve, but more like a pyramid. There should be more Cardinals than Golds, more States than Cardinals, etc. Only 450 century club members? Feels like the low hanging fruit is getting the casual, non-season ticket holder to donate at all.

I think that the key is what do those people get for their donation? Just helping ISU should be a reward, but it probably isn't as much as it should be. I don't know a bunch about the benefits, but how much better of seats at JTS do you get for a $100 donation? Do they get access to FB parking? Is everyone at Hilton a donor at this point? There needs to be an incentive where giving $100 has a tangible benefit over not donating anything and just buying tickets.

Jack Gladney

Oct 31, 2017
I think that the key is what do those people get for their donation? Just helping ISU should be a reward, but it probably isn't as much as it should be. I don't know a bunch about the benefits, but how much better of seats at JTS do you get for a $100 donation? Do they get access to FB parking? Is everyone at Hilton a donor at this point? There needs to be an incentive where giving $100 has a tangible benefit over not donating anything and just buying tickets.

As a non-season ticket holder, but someone who still likes to come to one or two games a year, if they made single game tickets available to donors a day or two earlier than the general public, I would be willing to donate in order to choose from the best remaining seats to the best games. I think you could get a decent amount of non-season ticket holders to donate $100 for that privilege. Heck, I'd probably give more. And you might even get some Hawk fans to donate in the years they visit Jack Trice.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
As a non-season ticket holder, but someone who still likes to come to one or two games a year, if they made single game tickets available to donors a day or two earlier than the general public, I would be willing to donate in order to choose from the best remaining seats to the best games. I think you could get a decent amount of non-season ticket holders to donate $100 for that privilege. Heck, I'd probably give more. And you might even get some Hawk fans to donate in the years they visit Jack Trice.

Oh no, I just need you to donate or the nuclear winter of ISU athletics I’ve been talking about for a decade is coming.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Gunner is on a roll today. Don't cut him off in traffic... his avatar says it all. ;)

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
I understand the increase and need to build revenue. And have no problem with it. We had thought about moving up a level, but with the increases, We might actually move down a donor level. We are looking at our perks vs $$ and what we actually get. We currently hold 4 season tickets for football and men's basketball in the non-donor sections. Its what fits our budget.

For us it has more to do with my personal budget vs not wanting to give. My wife and I love to travel and the increase is a fairly hefty amount for us. We don't have the advantage of a group working together or work match for the donation. We will weigh the pros and cons in the next couple of months. But are actually leaning towards decreasing our donation.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Oh no, I just need you to donate or the nuclear winter of ISU athletics I’ve been talking about for a decade is coming.
Well, you better keep talking about it. In the past decade, our revenues have gone from $25 million to $90 million? Both estimates.

The capital expenditures have been around $200 million.

They just funded a negative flow year of $17 million with cash reserves.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
They do that, but it goes down to the $2,500 level.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Yeah, and the entertainment industry typically books shows/tours in bundle....meaning, Venueworks can negotiate x shows for x facilities or work with promoters on multiple shows in their agency.

I had heard that was how we used to get so many great shows at Hilton....we were part of a larger mgt company that would get Hilton on the tours.

There are a couple contributors on here that were part of the old management of The Center that could contribute a lot of information.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and CapnCy

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
There are a couple contributors on here that were part of the old management of The Center that could contribute a lot of information.

My wife's best friend's dad was the former technical director of Iowa state center and his office was in Hilton. He still has very strong feelings over the merger/takeover of ISC.

She got to experience a lot of behind the scenes and on the court experiences that one can only dream of. She knows every nook and cranny of Hilton. Courtside tickets for the Kansas game, seating in the pressbox for the Van Halen concert was another, and has a signed ball from the 94-95 team. She got to watch numerous practices, hung out in the basketball offices, met and interacted with the players. She got to be a ball girl and was featured in a DSM register story during Fred's years.

Thankfully she has embraced TJ but Fred leaving was a lot of ugly crying

Reactions: Sparkplug