Could Otz be the end of Hoiberg's coaching career?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
That's the part that kills me. Nebraska wasn't that bad under Miles. I'm pretty sure they made the tournament under him.

I watched a pretty big chunk of the Nebraska-Purdue game on Friday night and it wasn't even close. It's against the rules around here, but frankly last year's Iowa State team had better effort than the Nebraska team did.

Miles was mediocre overall, but he did make a tournament and a few NITs.

His second to last year he went 13-5 in conference, but the B10 was so weak that year they didn't make the dance.

So, he wasn't a smashing success, but they were at least competitive. Really no reason for Fred to be doing as poorly as he has.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
This is probably not a popular opinion but when I look back on the talent that Hoiberg and Prohm had, they completely underachieved. I know people love Fred for elevating the program but some of those teams had 5 NBA guys on it and couldn’t get past the Sweet 16.
[/QUOTE

agree to some extent, but the Kane team was playing as well as anyone when George went down. Ifs and butts..and it's a one game deal...but that team still damn near beat UConn without George and did beat North Carolina. Cant just remove George from the equation and say they underperformed that year.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
This is probably not a popular opinion but when I look back on the talent that Hoiberg and Prohm had, they completely underachieved. I know people love Fred for elevating the program but some of those teams had 5 NBA guys on it and couldn’t get past the Sweet 16.
The tournament is a crapshoot. Hoiberg in particular with having to play one of the best teams of the decade in the second round (UK), a last second, adversity filled loss to Ohio St in a 10 vs 2, Georges injury, and then Hoiberg being a warm suit in 2015. Obviously the last part is all on him, but not as much a measure of his coaching acumen

I blame them more for not having better regular seasons. Do better before the tournament and you’re not playing UK and Ohio St.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyientist

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The 2014-15 team that lost to UAB had SIX NBA players on it: Niang, Morris, Naz, Dejean-Jones, Nader, and Thomas. Not to mention two more guys who are still playing professionally 7 years later internationally (Hogue and McKay). That team had the talent to win the whole damn thing
True, but the tournament is a crap shoot. Plenty of Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, etc. teams that lost in the first or second round that were loaded with NBA players.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Guess I just never bought the idea that ISU would’ve won that game with Niang. The result of the Niang injury was an expanded offensive role for Hogue and he played completely out of his mind and had arguably the best game a Cyclone has ever had in the tourney. And UConn answered every run to keep ISU at arms length all game long.
What if Niang and Hogue both played and both played out of their minds?

bearcat92

Mar 2, 2013
In today’s CBB, if you’re doing a long, “right way” rebuild, you’re doing it wrong. We’ve known this for over a decade.

Rosters are nearly annual things now. Many high majors have a lot of turnover every two years regardless of coaching change
And it isn't easy. Some of these comments reminds me of the conversations with coaches when my kid was visiting JUCOs about the challenge of turning over your roster so quickly. Eye opener. With all the agendas coaches deal with that now comes along with the portal environment, glad TJ found right players to make it work so successfully.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Nebraska should have never fired miles
Yes they 100% should have fired Miles. They just should have hired someone better than Fred. Miles was bad at Nebraska. In his 7 years he finished 10th or worse 5 times. One of the year they finished 4th they still didn’t make the tourney because the Big 10 was so bad.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
The UAB loss was the worst.

I remember it like yesterday. Was sick to my stomach for weeks. It was the only time in my life I couldn't bring myself to watch the rest of the tournament. The Niang broken foot game was still the worst I've ever felt as a Cyclone fan though.

Reactions: CycloneVet

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I remember it like yesterday. Was sick to my stomach for weeks. It was the only time in my life I couldn't bring myself to watch the rest of the tournament. The Niang broken foot game was still the worst I've ever felt as a Cyclone fan though.

Since that (14-15) team never really put together 3 well played games consecutively I would not have been surprised to see them lose in the (real) 2nd round so it took a bit but I was over it much quicker than the game that shall not be mentioned ('01).

Still a couple of train wrecks though.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Honestly it wasn’t the most surprising thing. That team was on shaky ground and the chemistry was crumbling at the end of the year. Even that Big 12 tournament took some lucky bounces along the way.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
I was in Vegas for UAB... the alcohol helped dull the pain. I remember hating the damned frosted tips for weeks after.

Reactions: exCYtable

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The 14-15 team didn’t underachieve because they lost to UAB. They were inconsistent and had several perplexing losses throughout the year. They controlled their own destiny to win the Big 12 regular season and blew it with a home loss to Baylor and loss at KSU.

If we don’t come back to beat OU and one of those KC games goes the other way we wouldn’t have gotten a 3 seed.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
What if Niang and Hogue both played and both played out of their minds?
It’s possible. Though Hogue had that many opportunities simply because he was forced into the role. And he went 15-19. It might have been the one game in 100 that he’s going to go 15-19, but it happened to be that game when pushed into that role.

This wasn’t a good player having a really good game. This a guy that didn’t get plays run for him typically forced into that role and having a completely off the charts, all-timer type of efficient game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The 14-15 team didn’t underachieve because they lost to UAB. They were inconsistent and had several perplexing losses throughout the year. They controlled their own destiny to win the Big 12 regular season and blew it with a home loss to Baylor and loss at KSU.

If we don’t come back to beat OU and one of those KC games goes the other way we wouldn’t have gotten a 3 seed.

At Tech too.

South Carolina loss early on was also weird.

The buzz phrase lately has been 'return to the mean' and the UAB game was that.

• Dumb
Reactions: WhoISthis