Could Otz be the end of Hoiberg's coaching career?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Fred made his own bed when he left all those Seniors to go babysit a bunch of overpaid prima-donnas in the NBA. I don't feel any sympathy for his current situation at all.
He could have been the next Coach K or Bill Self, building a 20-25 year legacy here but he wanted to go to a horribly run NBA franchise instead.

ISUguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
And with basketball, you can flip that pretty quick compared to most sports.
Yes, because there are so few players. The blueprint is how TJ has reshaped this program. Find a new home for the kids that are not heading in the direction you want them to, regardless of what they have done in the past. Get in kids who are hard workers, fight everyday, and are not divas. If you get fortunate enough that the kids you brought in are talented, things can look different in a hurry.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I'd imagine Fred will get the off season chat with Trev (i.e. if you want to save you dignity, let's reshape your contract).

Fred is another case study of modern coaching/chasing vs stability. Financially coaches always are ahead, but not everyone can win.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
This is probably not a popular opinion but when I look back on the talent that Hoiberg and Prohm had, they completely underachieved. I know people love Fred for elevating the program but some of those teams had 5 NBA guys on it and couldn’t get past the Sweet 16.
It only takes one bad game to get bounced from the NCAA Tournament. Even Duke loses early at times. IMO, making it to the Sweet 16 is an incredible accomplishment for ANY Basketball Team and making it past the Sweet 16 is so super hard no matter what name is on the jersey. There is a long line of GREAT teams to get bounced without making it to the Elite 8 or beyond. So, not making it past the Sweet 16 is not something that concerns me as a fan. When it happens (like 2000), it's fantastic (I was at the UCLA game @ Auburn Hills!), but it was only a one game difference than the other Sweet 16 teams in ISU history. I'm not that spoiled. :)

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yes, because there are so few players. The blueprint is how TJ has reshaped this program. Find a new home for the kids that are not heading in the direction you want them to, regardless of what they have done in the past. Get in kids who are hard workers, fight everyday, and are not divas. If you get fortunate enough that the kids you brought in are talented, things can look different in a hurry.
That's the blueprint, but let's not, for a second, undervalue what TJ has done this year. Lots of first year coaches have a blueprint for success. Very, very few of them have seen that success come as quickly as TJ has. I'm sure lots of other schools and fanbases look at what is happening at Iowa State and think "Why can't that be us?" but a hell of a lot of work, strategy, ability, and frankly luck have gone into that.

And to be clear, I don't think anyone at ISU is saying that they think what TJ is doing has been easy. But turning around programs in short order, while possible, is still very very difficult. Plenty of good coaches have a great blueprint and work incredibly hard, but do not see it translate into immediate success, or even success at all.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Agree. Even Floyd did that. I was at ISU when that happened, he ran off several players. He had that senior group but knew it was thin afterwards. He was able to bring in new guys and open up another 3-4 schollys by getting players “to leave”.

Reactions: ISUguy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's the blueprint, but let's not, for a second, undervalue what TJ has done this year. Lots of first year coaches have a blueprint for success. Very, very few of them have seen that success come as quickly as TJ has. I'm sure lots of other schools and fanbases look at what is happening at Iowa State and think "Why can't that be us?" but a hell of a lot of work, strategy, ability, and frankly luck have gone into that.

And to be clear, I don't think anyone at ISU is saying that they think what TJ is doing has been easy. But turning around programs in short order, while possible, is still very very difficult. Plenty of coaches have a great blueprint and work incredibly hard, but not see it translate into immediate success, or even success at all.

Especially with only returning two players with experience.

Guys like Floyd and CSP were given the keys to the Caddy.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Agree. Even Floyd did that. I was at ISU when that happened, he ran off several players. He had that senior group but knew it was thin afterwards. He was able to bring in new guys and open up another 3-4 schollys by getting players “to leave”.
McD ran kids off too...

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
And to be clear, I don't think anyone at ISU is saying that they think what TJ is doing has been easy. But turning around programs in short order, while possible, is still very very difficult. Plenty of good coaches have a great blueprint and work incredibly hard, but do not see it translate into immediate success, or even success at all.

It isn't easy, but the transfer rules to play immediately make it easier than it used to be. There are literally thousands of D1 players in the transfer portal every year now who can impact your program right away.

But there is no mistaking that TJ and his staff deserve a ton of credit for finding the right guys and getting them to play in a way that is greater than a sum of the parts.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
We all know that Nebraska is a traditionally poor at basketball but they have done all that they can to set up their coach for success... New arena, top of the line facilities and top ten in the country in (paid) attendance. They thought they had the last piece of the puzzle when they hired Hoiberg.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I’d say you can build your roster a variety of ways and it can still work. I think the real “blueprint” that TJ follows that is hard to do is to draw a line in the sand and demand that every practice be high intensity through the grind of the season. Now, I think TJ clearly set out to build a roster that are inclined to bring it, But still, if push comes to shove it might mean, for example, playing Beverly over Lard.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Do not under rate the value of the level of play of a true freshman point guard. Otz, along with everybody else, had no way of predicting how seamless the transition from HS to the best conference in D1 level of play that Hunter has exhibited. IMO, it compares to walk-on Jeff Hornacek under Orr who could distribute, score & went on to a long successful NBA career. Hunter was a top rated recruit compared to JH. Morris was also a top rated recruit. I could care less about Fred, Nebraska and their mutual struggles but basketball is all about having a premier point guard. Our good ISU teams had and currently has one, Nebraska doesn’t.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Fun fact: Hoiberg is 6-50 in P6 games so far at Nebraska. o_O
He was 32-4 at Hilton his last 4 years in Ames against the Big 12.
Wow.

Yeah the big ten is a very strong bball league. And like some have said they have no history at all at Nebby in hoops, makes it harder to recruit, have put nobody in the league. I think Fred made a mistake hitching his wagon to Abdelmassah. That guy gives me the wrong vibes.

Reactions: GoldCy