Which is going to be better?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Hopefully who he actually gets, because so far I am underwhelmed.

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
Wow, thanks for ruining my morning. I thought Bliel, Fountain, Price and Ash was a pretty good start.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think it all depends on who he hires for his OC. The way things are shaping up it wouldn't surprise me if Rhoads ends up being the face of the defense - and if you've seen his defenses over the last several years that's not a bad thing.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I hope that Rhoads is a better defense coach than Cheese Dip Cheesik....

Being dead last in the big 12 is not good for tix sales in the future!!!:cool:

Reactions: Wesley

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
. . . I thought Bliel, Fountain, Price and Ash was a pretty good start.

Me, too.

I take comfort in knowing that no one here likely can make an accurate evaluation of these new hires.

At the least, can anyone here match Coach Rhoads' personal and professional knowledge of these guys. Anyone?

We fans have two main approaches, IMHO, to a topic like this one: 1) The coach knows best; 2) I know best. If I ever come to believe a fan knows better than a coach, I'm outta here. There will be no hope for the program when that day arrives.

Last edited:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Me, too.

I take comfort in knowing that no one here likely can make an accurate evaluation of these new hires.

At the least, can anyone here match Coach Rhoads' personal and professional knowledge of these guys. Anyone?

But sometimes a person's professional knowledge is clouded by their personal knowledge...

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
OC Hire will tell the story on what direction we are going, how quickly and what influence Rhoads has to get a top shelf coach. I don't even care if it's a young guy from a successful school who under a top shelf OC. Please, no has beens.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
OC Hire will tell the story on what direction we are going, how quickly and what influence Rhoads has to get a top shelf coach. I don't even care if it's a young guy from a successful school who under a top shelf OC. Please, no has beens.

Seems as though Coach Rhoads has been reading your mind . . . or maybe you've been reading his?!

Maybe I'll be attacked for admitting this prejudice (and maybe I should be) . . . but so far, the staff is variiously experienced, young (Bliel is 49, the oldest so far, I think), and fit. I dislike seeing overweight coaches on the field, seems like it reveals a lack of self-discipline, and football is a game of discipline.

This staff is lookin' good (double meaning intended).

(I loath childish namecalling. Those here who immaturely label the overweight say more about themselves than they say about the target of their infantile remarks.)

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
Seems as though Coach Rhoads has been reading your mind . . . or maybe you've been reading his?!

Maybe I'll be attacked for admitting this prejudice (and maybe I should be) . . . but so far, the staff is variiously experienced, young (Bliel is 49, the oldest so far, I think), and fit. I dislike seeing overweight coaches on the field, seems like it reveals a lack of self-discipline, and football is a game of discipline.

This staff is lookin' good (double meaning intended).

(I loath childish namecalling. Those here who immaturely label the overweight say more about themselves than they say about the target of their infantile remarks.)

I love your avatar. Seriously.

Seems like the right time for some positive vibes heading into the new year.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Surprised Walt Harris hasn't been a name that has been circulated. As far as I know, he hasn't coached since being let go at Stanford. He was a solid offensive coordinator under Johnny Majors in the 80's while at Tennessee. He has also coached some pretty talented receivers when he was at Pitt (Larry Fitzgerald and Antonio Bryant).

Also, Shane Montgomery would be another name to throw around as Offensive Coordinator. He was the former coach at Miami (OH) and was recently let go from that position. He is a possible candidate because taking the OC spot at ISU would actually pay him more than what he was making as HC in Oxford. He was the quarterbacks coach/offensive coordinator when Big Ben was there along with the prolific offenses under mobile QB Josh Betts.

Tony Alford at Louisville may get a look. He has been a running backs coach for 13 years and his record speaks for itself. Coached at ISU in two different tenures.

The most exciting pick for me would be Tony Franklin. I don't care that he got canned halfway through his first full year at Auburn. The guy is an offensive genius. Auburn's best option at QB was a Juco transfer that didn't have a clue how to run the offense. He is going to put points up on the board, especially since the talent at ISU is in place (mobile qb-Arnaud, Tiller; WR options-Johnson, Darks, Hamilton, Jones, Carlson, etc.; balanced backfield-Robinson/Williams, Schwartz

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
I love your avatar. Seriously.

I really appreciate that, cyco2000. A painting loaded with meaning, I agree. Thank God there are some here who understand and value critical moments in time.

Although, just this minute I was just going to replace it with my good pal, The Cat. . . ;-)

Last edited:

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
I'm ecstatic with our hires thusfar.. Great recruiters/coaching experience/Iowa ties/ISU coaching ties/etc... Although we have yet to see who our OC/DC will be, which will make or break the staff(obviously).. To all the pessimists, why AREN'T you happy with the hires thusfar??? I'm pretty tired of the posters on most of these coaching threads throwing out one-liners expressing their displeasure of our recent hires.. Would any of you like to explain WHY you don't like the hires??

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron