*** Official #19 IOWA STATE vs Creighton Game(Day) Thread ***

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Thing is, to me anyway, is that he looks to be perfect for 2021. Perfect in 2016, who knows? Maybe yes, maybe no, but I'd guess he's learned a thing or two from his five years as a head coach, no so much the recruiting (he knew that stuff obviously) , but about actually running a program as the guy and not an assistant. This may turn out to be an epic hire, hopefully he has an Orr like length of tenure.

Yeah, I don't know that he would have tried to instill the same culture/style as he has now if he would have come in after Fred. He might have felt more pressure to be up-tempo and offense-focused. That was also closer to what he did at SDSU. This team's style isn't really similar to any team he's been with, so there's been some evolution as a coach.

Reactions: WhoISthis

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah, I don't know that he would have tried to instill the same culture/style as he has now if he would have come in after Fred. He might have felt more pressure to be up-tempo and offense-focused. That was also closer to what he did at SDSU. This team's style isn't really similar to any team he's been with, so there's been some evolution as a coach.
That team playing this D = Natty.

Reactions: WhoISthis

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I wasnt thrilled with the TJ hire but here we are. Great start and hope it continues. I dont have any expectations of competing for the B12 but if he continues to grow with this team and into the future,, I will eat crow.
Might have to. Have you seen the price of beef lately? :)

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
As much as I would like to beat the Hawks I really want Hilton rockin' again.

I'm interested and maybe a little concerned with how our guys will react. Kalscheur has played in front of big, loud crowds. Brockington too, although probably not to the extent he'll see on Thursday. Is George able to keep his emotions in check? How does Hunter handle his first big rivalry game? Hope it elevates their play and they don't get caught up in the antics. We know the McCaffreys, Bohannon, and Touissant are likely to talk and taunt.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I really hope Johnson and Hinson are ashamed of themselves. They basically stole 2 scholarships that could have helped us this year because they couldn't hack it with the intensity TJ demands.

Foster is a whole different ballgame but I hope he gets his life together.

I think it played out that way because TJ gave them every opportunity to improve their positions (which must have been 10th and 11th) and they didn't, and he was honest with them about where they stood.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
One thing I noticed last night was Creighton was taking away Brockingtons left all night, he's going to have to deal with that the rest of the season.

He can get his shots, might need to work more without the ball to get it though.

Reactions: heitclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
One thing I noticed last night was Creighton was taking away Brockingtons left all night, he's going to have to deal with that the rest of the season.

They defended us really well, and also disrupted some of our normal plays by denying certain players the ball right in the middle of them. Definitely scouted us well.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I'm interested and maybe a little concerned with how our guys will react. Kalscheur has played in front of big, loud crowds. Brockington too, although probably not to the extent he'll see on Thursday. Is George able to keep his emotions in check? How does Hunter handle his first big rivalry game? Hope it elevates their play and they don't get caught up in the antics. We know the McCaffreys, Bohannon, and Touissant are likely to talk and taunt.
It was a good to that road game in before this one. That was first real spirited crowd the team played in front of. I think the team handled it well. There are real concerns with George getting caught up in the theatrics of this game..

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I think it played out that way because TJ gave them every opportunity to improve their positions (which must have been 10th and 11th) and they didn't, and he was honest with them about where they stood.
Yeah, I was kind of surprised Johnson stayed to begin with. I figured he would leave last spring.

Hinson is the on that surprised me, he must have thought he was entitled to play alot without actually earning it. Not alot or players would go through all that practice then jsut decide last minute you want to quit.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I wasnt thrilled with the TJ hire but here we are. Great start and hope it continues. I dont have any expectations of competing for the B12 but if he continues to grow with this team and into the future,, I will eat crow.
I was thrilled. I had read plenty about TJ's teams since leaving ISU and was really enthusiastic. It got me interested in ISU sports again.

Reactions: NWICY

PizzaTheHutt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2014
I’m concerned about the level of concern some of you are showing……:jimlad:

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I'm worried what teams learned by watching the press against us last night. Granted, WE will learn from it as well.
Our offense is going to struggle sometimes. It just will. The defense will win us some games...already has. So impressive.

Maybe didn't prep for the press as much this game? They handled Memphis' press pretty well and they did it all game long.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I really hope Johnson and Hinson are ashamed of themselves. They basically stole 2 scholarships that could have helped us this year because they couldn't hack it with the intensity TJ demands.

Foster is a whole different ballgame but I hope he gets his life together.

My perspective is that the transfers made their decisions and I have no problem with it. Foster is the one who should be ashamed of himself. Allegedly.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Maybe didn't prep for the press as much this game? They handled Memphis' press pretty well and they did it all game long.

it seems like every team has pressed us some this year, we’ve seen it a lot. Last night was the first time it’s worked at all - but if they need to they can play Hunter and Jackson together and beat the press every time.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
My perspective is that the transfers made their decisions and I have no problem with it. Foster is the one who should be ashamed of himself. Allegedly.
I dont have an issue with them transferring. It's the timing of it that I dont like. You don't say you are bought in for 6 months then just leave and leave the team shorthanded because you are a crybaby about playing time.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah