Bowl Projection USA Today

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
If Alabams, Georgia, Texas A&M, or even Auburn and Ole Miss played say Baylor right now 100 times....they would win 90 times. Alabama may not lose again until Sabine retires. It is what it is.
I agree with this - however I will probably not watch playoff due to not wanting to watch another rematch where georgia (with kirby smart) has lost 4 times in a row (overall, I think the streak is like 7)

I personally would be far more interested in the playoff if baylor got a shot as a conference champion (yes I understand that georgia has higher recruiting classes, etc. would probably win 85 times out of 100 against baylor...I don't care. I already watched georgia take on alabama and lose on a "neutral" site)

well I watched a half of the georgia vs. alabama - I fell asleep during the other half lol

Last edited:

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I was weary about a game with Clemson. I’ve come around to the idea of a game against a team like that. Screw it, bring it on Dabo.

If we do get Clemson, I can't wait to hear Dabo say-- "I just don't know how we're going to play against one of the most dangerous, well coached teams in the country."

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Are you watching the playoff selection show? They put Bama and Michigan's resumes up on the screen and it isn't even close - Bama's is way better.

Who is being left out that you feel should be in?

Everyone wants to cry that "2 SEC Teams are in" but no one wants to say who should be in that isn't.
Baylor should be in over Georgia. Better resume. Baylor has four wins over top 25 programs and won their conference championship. Georgia just got smoked by the first good team they played all season. They don’t pass the sniff test.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Two losses, one vs. 5-7 TCU.

They really screwed that one up.
let's be honest

baylor probably has to go undefeated to even get a chance (whereas an sec team or ohio state can flirt with a few losses and still get in)

2014 ohio state lost to a 7-6 va tech team at home and still got in over a 12-1 tcu team which only lost a controversial game to #5 baylor at waco by 3 points (baylor finished 11-2 that season btw)

this whole committee thing is a joke

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
Normally I would agree but with the way thing shook out this year I"m not going to completely hate Georgia making it. With the system we have now, the one loss team probably deserves it. Definitively not a huge fan but it is what it is. Bring on at least 8 teams for a real playoff.
I don’t disagree. People have already forgotten that the current playoff system was set up to make sure at least the top two teams were in the mix and it has done that effectively.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
let's be honest

baylor probably has to go undefeated to even get a chance (whereas an sec team or ohio state can flirt with a few losses and still get in)

2014 ohio state lost to a 7-6 va tech team at home and still got in over a 12-1 tcu team which only lost a controversial game to #5 baylor at waco by 3 points (baylor finished 11-2 that season btw)

this whole committee thing is a joke
Not excusing that stupid decision because of exactly what you said, Ohio State easily had the worst loss and shouldn't have gotten in. However, year 1 nobody had any clue (Committee included looking back on it) what to do and how to really judge things. Baylor's non-conference was an absolute joke and their resume was not that great aside from a controversial win over TCU. I believe the committee actually thought TCU was one of the four best, but how could they put the Frogs in over Baylor who beat them head to head? Florida State also running the table screwed everyone because they were NOT one of the four best teams, but they scraped by again and again and ran the table. That playoff should have been Bama, Oregon, TCU and Ohio State.

The Big 12 is as much to blame for that fiasco because that was the year we touted that God awful "One. True. Champion!" line on every piece of marketing all year long. Then what happened, well people kind of forgot you could have a tie for the best record, so you would just use head to head right? No problem. That's when the Big 12 got greedy and tried to get both TCU AND Baylor in seeing where they were ranked going into the final weekend. TCU was the better team, but they lost to Baylor. Baylor should have been named conference champion since they won head to head, but the conference wouldn't do it, so they gave the committee a loophole by saying Ohio State was a conference champion and there were co-champs in the Big 12.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If you did a system of five AQs for the P5 and then highest G5 and then two "wild cards" --

ACC = Pitt
B12 = Baylor
Big Ten = Michigan
SEC = Alabama
Pac-12 = Utah
G5 = Cincinnati
WC #1 = Georgia
WC #2 = Notre Dame

Not sure how you seed it, but that looks like a pretty fair postseason to me.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
If you did a system of five AQs for the P5 and then highest G5 and then two "wild cards" --

ACC = Pitt
B12 = Baylor
Big Ten = Michigan
SEC = Alabama
Pac-12 = Utah
G5 = Cincinnati
WC #1 = Georgia
WC #2 = Notre Dame

Man there are some potentially juicy games in there. I wouldn't want any part of Utah right now.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The Big 12 is as much to blame for that fiasco because that was the year we touted that God awful "One. True. Champion!" line on every piece of marketing all year long. Then what happened, well people kind of forgot you could have a tie for the best record, so you would just use head to head right? No problem. That's when the Big 12 got greedy and tried to get both TCU AND Baylor in seeing where they were ranked going into the final weekend. TCU was the better team, but they lost to Baylor. Baylor should have been named conference champion since they won head to head, but the conference wouldn't do it, so they gave the committee a loophole by saying Ohio State was a conference champion and there were co-champs in the Big 12.

Also led to invention of the "13th data point" by the committee/playoff system. I agree Big12 needed to have determination of the "one true champion" even without a CCG. That is, head-to-head breaks tie between 1 & 2. Pretty simple.

Reactions: jctisu

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Man there are some potentially juicy games in there. I wouldn't want any part of Utah right now.

Trying to seed it the best I can using the AP rankings...

#1 Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL
#8 Pitt

#4 Cincinnati

Cincinnati, OH
#5 Baylor

#3 Georgia

Athens, GA
#6 Notre Dame

#2 Michigan

Ann Arbor, MI
#7 Utah

(I "flexed" Notre Dame down to #6 and Baylor up to #5 to avoid a Cin/ND rematch in the first round.)

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Not excusing that stupid decision because of exactly what you said, Ohio State easily had the worst loss and shouldn't have gotten in. However, year 1 nobody had any clue (Committee included looking back on it) what to do and how to really judge things. Baylor's non-conference was an absolute joke and their resume was not that great aside from a controversial win over TCU. I believe the committee actually thought TCU was one of the four best, but how could they put the Frogs in over Baylor who beat them head to head? Florida State also running the table screwed everyone because they were NOT one of the four best teams, but they scraped by again and again and ran the table. That playoff should have been Bama, Oregon, TCU and Ohio State.

haha there is no criteria for how tcu was left out

on the committee website itself it says they don't take into consideration margin of victory, but we both know just because ohio state beat wisconsin by a lot is part of the reason why they got in

tcu was ranked #3 going into the last week and got removed from the top 4

if the name on their jersey isn't tcu, that doesn't happen

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Also led to invention of the "13th data point" by the committee/playoff system. I agree Big12 needed to have determination of the "one true champion" even without a CCG. That is, head-to-head breaks tie between 1 & 2. Pretty simple.

Has the 13th data point every actually helped a Big 12 team? Seems like it has hurt them more than help them.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
The playoff is an entirely made for TV event. That’s how all the decisions are made.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The talking heads have nothing left to say on the Playoff Show that is fresh. I wish they were talking about the other bowl possibilities for this hour.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
haha there is no criteria for how tcu was left out

on the committee website itself it says they don't take into consideration margin of victory, but we both know just because ohio state beat wisconsin by a lot is part of the reason why they got in

tcu was ranked #3 going into the last week and got removed from the top 4

if the name on their jersey isn't tcu, that doesn't happen
I never once mentioned any specific criteria in my post.

I am telling you more anecdotes as to why TCU was left out. In the end it was that it was Ohio State's brand, but there were MANY other contributing factors that added and allowed the committee to make that call. The committee's biggest blunder was ranking TCU not just #3 the prior week BUT also ranking them in front of Baylor only to have them end behind Baylor (Baylor was 5 and TCU was 6 in the final CFP Ranking) when NOTHING changed on that front. TCU beat the hell out of us, so why were they no worse than Baylor? Nothing in that equation changed. A lot more people would have been less upset had they ranked Baylor ahead of TCU the second to last week due to that head to head because Ohio State v. Baylor for the final spot was much more easily understood for the Buckeyes. Baylor's non-conference that year was so pathetic it should never have been rewarded. It was all about optics that could have save the committee some headaches that first year.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis

ACC = Pitt
B12 = Baylor
Big Ten = Michigan
SEC = Alabama
Pac-12 = Utah
G5 = Cincinnati
WC #1 = Georgia
WC #2 = Notre Dame

SEC will never go for that.