After watching TCU and Arizona have impressive

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
wins, I had to pause and think about what they might have offered at ISU. I know Jamie's number 1 issue was to get a candidate that wouldn't leave ISU at the first perceived better job offer, but who's to say Stoops or Patterson would have jumped or that Rhoads won't? Maybe they were really pipe dreams and ISU wouldn't have drawn interest from them, but I think I'd feel a little more confident right now with someone that had head coaching experience. Both Stoops and Patterson beat very good teams in their bowl games so we know they can get the job done.

Harry

Mar 27, 2006
Re: After watching TCU and Arizone have impressive

It's been said before but if Patterson turned down 2 million from Minnesota he wasn't coming to ISU.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant

wins, I had to pause and think about what they might have offered at ISU. I know Jamie's number 1 issue was to get a candidate that wouldn't leave ISU at the first perceived better job offer, but who's to say Stoops or Patterson would have jumped or that Rhoads won't? Maybe they were really pipe dreams and ISU wouldn't have drawn interest from them, but I think I'd feel a little more confident right now with someone that had head coaching experience. Both Stoops and Patterson beat very good teams in their bowl games so we know they can get the job done.

Let's be honest... those two coaches leaving where they are to come to ISU would be considered a step DOWN. The same can be said for Turner Gill considering where he has his team.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006

Stoops probably used us to get a good contract (not unusual in the coaching profession or any other profession I guess). I assume he's getting a big new contract but haven't heard yet.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006

I know Jamie's number 1 issue was to get a candidate that wouldn't leave ISU at the first perceived better job offer, but who's to say Stoops or Patterson would have jumped or that Rhoads won't?

I don't think that was JP's #1 issue at all. He even said that the Chizik departure would not influence his search. I think his top priority was to find a coach he thinks will win.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

Patterosn was going to demand too much coin...and anyone in their right mind would not want Stoops

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

It's been said before but if Patterson turned down 2 million from Minnesota he wasn't coming to ISU.

Not for $1.15M. Even Bill Snyder makes $1.85 M.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Patterson would of been a terrific hire. This years bowl win his his 4th consecutive win, but probably would of taken a lot of cash to get. Im not sold on Stoops but seems like a good coach. What i don't understand is his name was brought up very heavily at one point about being offered the job. Now that he won his bowl game you wanna bring him in after a majority of the fan base didnt seem to want him to be the next coach.

Istate

Jul 15, 2008

I don't think that was JP's #1 issue at all. He even said that the Chizik departure would not influence his search. I think his top priority was to find a coach he thinks will win.
Obviously Jamie isn't going to hire someone he thinks is going to lose, but at the very least it's safe to say that he wanted an ISU guy first and the best football coach second. It's obvious that's what he wanted, and he gets paid big bucks to do what he thinks is best. Rhoads may end up being an amazing hire, but he was far from the best available football coach out there. Alot of those best coaches probably weren't coming to ISU, but I just hope Jamie's fixation with getting someone that was dreaming of the ISU job didn't prevent ISU from getting a coach that would have more on the field success (ie. stoops or patterson or gill or Kelly or Mason etc.).