For Cowboy fans chirping about the spot on their final play

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Moot point. Should have been a penalty on the OSU lineman for pulling the ballcarrier forward. Iowa State declines, game over. Very simple.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Totally agree. Even with out the flag being thrown, in review, once the lineman starts to pull his player forward, the play stops there. It is not legal to advance a player by pulling them. They can not assess the penalty in review, but can make the correct call by spotting the ball before the player was pulled. The player was only beyond the 1st down marker due to an illegal act.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Totally agree. Even with out the flag being thrown, in review, once the lineman starts to pull his player forward, the play stops there. It is not legal to advance a player by pulling them. They can not assess the penalty in review, but can make the correct call by spotting the ball before the player was pulled. The player was only beyond the 1st down marker due to an illegal act.

But. He wasn't by it. His helmet was. Not the ball.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu and Yes13

Apr 19, 2006
IF they ever changed the rule that you can no longer advance a player by pushing them, Iowa would never get a first down on 3rd and short again:p:p
There use to be a rule about assisting the runner. When I coached a 5th grade football team it cost us the win in an over time game. The kid who assisted wasn't even trying to assist he just got blown back from the line and ran straight forward which was the back of the qb who was actually carrying the ball for the win until the flag came out.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I mean, they even reviewed it and upheld it.

The far side official originally marked it a good half yard short of where they ended up spotting it. So they decided to give a little more benefit of the doubt on the spot, and still wasn't enough.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
There use to be a rule about assisting the runner. When I coached a 5th grade football team it cost us the win in an over time game. The kid who assisted wasn't even trying to assist he just got blown back from the line and ran straight forward which was the back of the qb who was actually carrying the ball for the win until the flag came out.

I personally don't care for the rule. I think it's a bit dangerous when a qb gets stopped at the line and a big fullback or running back comes plowing into his back to advance him. With all that football is doing these days to protect player, this one seems odd to me.

Apr 19, 2006
I personally don't care for the rule. I think it's a bit dangerous when a qb gets stopped at the line and a big fullback or running back comes plowing into his back to advance him. With all that football is doing these days to protect player, this one seems odd to me.
Yeah you would hate to see a helmet to the back or something else end up taking the ball carry out. I can't remember the game but I remember a line basically picking up the ball carrier and basically tossing him into the endzone.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Let's face it, refs make mistakes and sometimes as fans we believe that they were not unintentional. I have been there many times. I'm not saying that refs made an error here, but I can understand why their fan base is upset. It's was an emotional, hard fought game and you never want to feel "what if" when it comes to reffing.

They were gifted a win against Boise St IMO due to a questionable reffing call. So even if they won this one they should still have one loss.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
This call is never made. I have seen it happen several times with no flag. Also , there is a growing trend towards slow motion subbing on defense to cause either penalties or timeouts by offense.
Okie Lite did that yesterday causing ISU to call a time out. Trotted on a lineman when they already had 11 players out there with no intention of a player coming off the field.

83cy

May 14, 2006
Okie Lite did that yesterday causing ISU to call a time out. Trotted on a lineman when they already had 11 players out there with no intention of a player coming off the field.
Is that true? Wouldn't that be 12 men penalty?

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Is that true? Wouldn't that be 12 men penalty?

The official would not let us snap it until the Cowboys completed their half-hearted attempt at a substitution. Since the play clock was about to expire, that never happened. We were forced to call a timeout

I thought they had already run somebody off, but maybe my memory is wrong. Doesn't really matter, that big oaf never even made it to the defensive side of the ball.

H

Last edited: