Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I know this has been discussed before during tornado season, but daughter in Kansas has one on her Christmas list. In central Iowa, does Hy-Vee still sell them? Any other places?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The one listed above is a good one, however it did not say if it had the ability to program S.A.M.E. county codes in (where you program the code for your county in and goes off and alerts you when something is isuued for a county that you entered) it is a very good feature that I would highly recomend. Hy-Vee may or may not have them right now, I would also check Radio Shack. If you cant find one I would just give on I owe you.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
I know this has been discussed before during tornado season, but daughter in Kansas has one on her Christmas list. In central Iowa, does Hy-Vee still sell them? Any other places?

Most Hy-vee stores still have them.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
In addition to S.A.M.E., I think it's important to be able to disable the alarm based on the type of event. I don't want a tornado watch or flood watch waking me up in the middle of the night. Many radios don't let you selectively disable alarms.

The one I use is this one:

http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3106

I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Staples, although it's not particularly cheap ($60). You can get it $10 cheaper at amazon.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I remember a couple years back when KCCI gave them away for free at the Hy-Vee on Mills. They had 1000 of them - all you had to do was walk in and say "Super Doppler HD", and Johnny Mac handed you one.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
In addition to S.A.M.E., I think it's important to be able to disable the alarm based on the type of event. I don't want a tornado watch or flood watch waking me up in the middle of the night. Many radios don't let you selectively disable alarms.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Staples, although it's not particularly cheap ($60). You can get it $10 cheaper at amazon.

That is a MUST! I had to turn mine off because it was squaking every time it rained about flooding at some small creek on the south side. Really, warn me about tornados and not creek flooding.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
That is a MUST! I had to turn mine off because it was squaking every time it rained about flooding at some small creek on the south side. Really, warn me about tornados and not creek flooding.
That creek is behind my house, and let me tell you, it floods like a *****!

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Our county 911 sends out the "better" weather alerts on the volunteer fire/ambulance pagers.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007

This type of radio is highly recommended. The HyVee ones do not do this. They'll only let you program location, not the type of alert.

MrsWx4Cy

Dec 5, 2007
Sorry if it's been said but Hy-vee should still have them. I believe they are $29.99.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
There are probably others, but here is one available at Target locally. They have several others online.

http://www.target.com/Oregon-Scient...e=UTF8&index=target&rh=k:weather radio&page=1

I have this one. It has S.A.M.E. capability. It's nice that it's portable so that when we do go to the basement I clip it on my belt and it goes with us right into the basement bathroom where we were twice this past summer. It's a good value for the money. I got it at Target. I think that there's a model one step up that has rechargeable batteries that might be nice to have too, as it seems to eat batteries, and it hums when it has batteries in and is plugged into the wall.