Seneca Wallace and ISU's 1957 upset over No. 1 Kansas (Pls Help)>>

JunoSosa

Oct 7, 2007
Hi all:

I'm narrowing down my research topics and one of the items I would really really appreciate help with is whether anyone has a picture of Seneca Wallace "scoring" the last touchdown against Florida State at Arrowhead in Kansas City that was called out on the 1 yard line. This has proven to be an extremely difficult item for me to pin down in my research. My memory seems to have Seneca scrambling to his right, and leaping for the cone and as his entire body sailed out of bounds, his left hand with the ball crossing the plane. I know someone has it laying around.. care to share? :smile:

Again, I would reaalllllllyyyy appreciate any help and recollections of that specific play against FSU. In return for your cooperation, I will mail a check of $1,000,000 USD to whomever provides me with a picture of Seneca "scoring". In return for your cooperation, I will ask that you merely deposit the check and wire me back the small sum of $20,000 immediately in good faith as I am testing a deposit service. Please use Western Union as I am located in Nigeria. :jimlad:

In appreciation for the help given, I thought I would dig into my own archives and share the front page of the Daily Gazette's coverage of the January 1957 basketball game between Iowa State and Kansas when Don Medsker's buzzer beater downed Wilt the Stilt's No. 1 Kansas team that had barely edged ISU in their first meeting the previous month. (Kansas' Gene Elstun hit a 20-foot jumper at the gun to win 58-57.) Although we lost that game, it was in that game that ISU revealed the blueprints for stopping Wilt Chamberlain-- double, triple and even quadruple teams.

Just a final note about Paul Rhodes-- based on my experience with him way back in the day when he was at ISU the first time around, I think we have a good coach. Energetic and thoughtful. Can't wait to see how he does.

THanks all!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Typical CR Gazette. Iowa State beats the #1 team in the country, and the lead mentions Iowa football.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
Typical CR Gazette. Iowa State beats the #1 team in the country, and the lead mentions Iowa football.

You have to understand that in that era in Iowa it was a one pony show. In 1957 no-one followed ISU (then known as Iowa State College) sports. You were lucky to even be able to get games on the radio outside of Ames. This story was written in the appropriate historical context and highlights one of the greatest upsets in college sports history.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
You have to understand that in that era in Iowa it was a one pony show. In 1957 no-one followed ISU (then known as Iowa State College) sports. You were lucky to even be able to get games on the radio outside of Ames. This story was written in the appropriate historical context and highlights one of the greatest upsets in college sports history.

internet-serious-business-cat.jpg

JunoSosa

Oct 7, 2007
Really??? The best picture of Seneca versus FSU that anyone can come up with is the Serious Cat? Any help is appreciated... Thanks

(PM me if its something you don't want to share in a public forum.)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron