SUCKTEMBER: Matt Campbell Teams not ready to start the season.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Several mentions of staff valuing player development over winning.
1. Do they need to be mutually exclusive?
2. You play to win the game ... Hello?!!

Ya this is not middle school football. Any college coach that writes off wins for the sake of possibly being better later should not be a college coach. You have to do both at every level of football that pays a coach more than High School coach wages.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
I think our perspective on September will dramatically change when the team stops puking up the football against Iowa.

CMC would be 3-3 against them now if the TO margin wasn't so ungawdly high. It will level out.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Ya this is not middle school football. Any college coach that writes off wins for the sake of possibly being better later should not be a college coach. You have to do both at every level of football that pays a coach more than High School coach wages.
Depends on where the implementation of your program is but you're 100% correct.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Below are the conference records of the greatest coaches in Iowa State football history (excludes ties).

Enough said.

CoachWinsLossesWinning %
Clay Stapleton2243.338
Johnny Majors925.265
Earl Bruce1824.429
Dan McCarney2768.284
Matt Campbell2819.596

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
One potential logical reason that I've heard mentioned by the staff is the UNI and Iowa defenses are very different from what Iowa State practices against on a daily basis in fall camp. The UNI and Iowa defenses have taken advantage of Iowa State's timing being just a little off and don't allow the big play, which has created slogs for games over the years. Couple that with Hall being banged up and Kolar not at 100 percent and Downing getting his first action in over a year and there are some actual reasons for the slow start this year. Just my two cents.
The problem with the UNI/Iowa thing is it doesn't explain the 1-5 record in Big 12 openers. The reasons for this year don't explain the same problems for 6 years.

- Hall banged up and Kolar out at UNI - It's a mediocre FCS team. If another P5 team that finished top 10 and brought everybody back had their fans using their TE being out and their RB being less than being 100% as the reason to barely beat a mediocre FCS team, our fans would ridicule them.
- Downing not playing in over a year - if he plays or doesn't play, ISU had more experience coming back than you can ever expect a team to bring back.

And the excuse of "their defenses are different than we play against in fall camp" is ridiculous. First, there is not a more basic, common, defense than Iowa's. It's not vanilla like Blue Bunny vanilla, but like the old generic stuff in the black and white packaging from the 80s that said "vanilla ice cream."

The variation in defenses from one week to the next within the Big 12 is pretty significant. Yet somehow they can prep for those variations with a week turnaround. More or less every week you are facing a defense you haven't really practiced against much, if at all.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
It is frustrating. Especially this year. Years passed or next year when there is a lot of new players it makes more sense. This is the year you should've hit the ground running. I wonder if part of it is just this group of players too? Maybe they just take a couple games to get in rhythm?

As frustrating as it is for us I can't imagine Campbell isn't more frustrated. I'm sure he will learn to make changes and try and get over the September hump.

• Optimistic
Reactions: NWICY and CyBobby

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think our perspective on September will dramatically change when the team stops puking up the football against Iowa.

CMC would be 3-3 against them now if the TO margin wasn't so ungawdly high. It will level out.

Part of the turnovers against Iowa is Manning not putting the offense in a position to have success.

1.) Playing a slow tempo game is EXACTLY what Iowa wants and he gets sucked into it every year.

2.) Keeping Brock chained to the pocket is a huge mistake and he's clearly not comfortable playing that way.

3.) Iowa is not the team we want to run the double TE plus FB stack formations. Every damn offense that has had success against Iowa spreads them out to soften their zone scheme. Don't get me wrong, Iowa has a good defense but the number of TO's they have been gift wrapped this year is insane. If we spread Iowa out and run a fairly quick tempo offense we win that game 7 times out of 10 minimum.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The problem with the UNI/Iowa thing is it doesn't explain the 1-5 record in Big 12 openers. The reasons for this year don't explain the same problems for 6 years.

- Hall banged up and Kolar out at UNI - It's a mediocre FCS team. If another P5 team that finished top 10 and brought everybody back had their fans using their TE being out and their RB being less than being 100% as the reason to barely beat a mediocre FCS team, our fans would ridicule them.
- Downing not playing in over a year - if he plays or doesn't play, ISU had more experience coming back than you can ever expect a team to bring back.

And the excuse of "their defenses are different than we play against in fall camp" is ridiculous. First, there is not a more basic, common, defense than Iowa's. It's not vanilla like Blue Bunny vanilla, but like the old generic stuff in the black and white packaging from the 80s that said "vanilla ice cream."

The variation in defenses from one week to the next within the Big 12 is pretty significant. Yet somehow they can prep for those variations with a week turnaround. More or less every week you are facing a defense you haven't really practiced against much, if at all.

Your post brings up something I should have mentioned. No one should have been creating expectations based on the CoVID year. The media couldn’t help themselves though.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Now that we’re in to Brocktober I think it’s a good time to reflect on another ISU football tradition: SUCKtember.

There is no good explanation for our struggles other than a lack of preparation and the failure of the coaching staff to make the necessary adjustments to JUST WIN. “The process” shouldn’t include throwing away games with inexplicable errors, playing in a way that doesn’t mesh with what we do the rest of the season.

Sucktember shouldn’t be an open audition for special teams. It shouldn’t be a time to “get our feet under us”. It shouldn’t be a time to just try to keep things close and hopefully be close enough at the end to pull out a game we’ve been getting beat down in for 3 1/2 Quarters.

If we struggle against cupcakes, and we get stomped by Iowa again next season, serious questions will have to be asked and changes will have to be made. Specifically moving on from Tom Manning and going out and getting a special teams coach that can not only coach special teams well, but also go out on the trail and get guys that can kick the ball off successfully and punt the ball successfully.

No more wasted seasons and wasted games.
I don't think coach Campbell's teams will ever be good in September and I also think CMC will never ever beat Iowa, we won't ever be good enough in September to beat a good power 5 team like Iowa. Plus, I think culturally, they don't understand or get the rivalry on the same level as McCarney and Rhoads. That is fine though, I have accepted that we won't be good early on. I love having him here and winning 7 plus game a year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't think coach Campbell's teams will ever be good in September and I also think CMC will never ever beat Iowa, we won't ever be good enough in September to beat a good power 5 team like Iowa. Plus, I think culturally, they don't understand or get the rivalry on the same level as McCarney and Rhoads. That is fine though, I have accepted that we won't be good early on. I love having him here and winning 7 plus game a year.

I don't think I would go that far.... Hell we would have beat Iowa two years ago if it wasn't for the second delay.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Manning is too damn conservative until till its to late , Campbell needs wake him up

I think it’s a shared thing. The playbook in the first 3 games is like a one-pager. Compare that to what we did against K-State and it’s stark. We don’t actually get “multiple” until about the 4th or 5th game of the season. It shouldn’t take that long for an offense with a SR QB to be able to run in and out of tempo at will.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
z8xGZE.gif

He's right thought. Sucktember is pathetic and I'm sick and tired of playing like sh## against Iowa.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
A whole bunch of overreaction and short term / selective memory in this thread.

"CMC will NEVER beat Iowa"
"CMC will NEVER be good in September"

... man, I can't help but shake my head.

For my money, here's how I feel:

ISU has SUCKED at football for the vast majority of its existence. And guess who DOES have an answer for that. CMC. Has it come at the expense of losing a few winnable games in September... yep! But man, I would take that EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME for what we've gotten out of it.

Do I hope he can do better going forward, absolutely! Do I think he can, absolutely!

So many things here: Fiesta bowl win, beating Texas and OU in the same year, having a coach who has a winning conference record, having a coach who's won at every venue in the B12, making it to the CCG... none of these things seemed realistic 6 years ago. NONE. And now we're ******** because we have slow starts to seasons? Man, if that's what it takes to build a program from something that as been pretty much garbage for over 100 years prior... give me that every single time.

</rant>

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

ISU has SUCKED at football for the vast majority of its existence. And guess who DOES have an answer for that. CMC. Has it come at the expense of losing a few winnable games in September... yep! But man, I would take that EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME for what we've gotten out of it.

Do I hope he can do better going forward, absolutely! Do I think he can, absolutely!

So many things here: Fiesta bowl win, beating Texas and OU in the same year, having a coach who has a winning conference record, having a coach who's won at every venue in the B12, making it to the CCG... none of these things seemed realistic 6 years ago. NONE. And now we're ******** because we have slow starts to seasons? Man, if that's what it takes to build a program from something that as been pretty much garbage for over 100 years prior... give me that every single time.

</rant>

It’s always seemed realistic to me. A great fan base is the foundation of a successful program and we’ve always been here and been one of the best in the country.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

</rant>

All valid, any realistic fan embraces all of that.

I think the frustration, within the narrow concept of Sleepy September, is: How can ISU find a way to replicate those types of accomplishments and that level of play, more consistently, within the first-third/fourth of the schedule?